The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #16
cholloway
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Just starting a little playoff trash talk. Nothing meant by it.
Your local grocery should carry several chili making kits.
Carroll Shelby's is just one of them.

Each kit flavors about 2 lbs of meat.
33 year old Char-Broil 450
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
2003 Black Weber SS Performer
Weber 22.5 OTG with rotisserie & Smokenator
Weber SJS & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
STOK Island gasser
Recipient of Official & Un-Official Moink Certificates
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #17
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

As a new member I am amazed at the Brethrens' response to a member's call for help. BUT the number of proprietary products in some of the recipes makes it difficult to use them.
I would love to see all recipes with just the ingredients I.e. meat/fish, herbs, spices, vegetables etc and no proprietary products so that members all over the World can use the recipes.

Unread 01-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #18
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

JohnHB, nothing proprietary in mine. Nopalitos are pickled cactus leaves that can be found on the Latino aisle at a supermarket or at an international food mart. Enjoy.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #19
16Adams
is One Chatty Farker

What worked for me, because I love chili. I Google "terlingua chili recipes" and follow the links to chili.org/recipes and there you will find the actual past 15-20 recipes that won the annual international chili society cook offs. I also bought a book off EBay of the top 100 winning recipes (3.40 free shipping) with recipes and history of Terlingua. I love Mexene and Gebharts, but if you read the ingredient list in commercial chili packets, they are darn close to what you run all over town looking for. Nothing wrong with French's chili-o. You just nee to add garlic, cumino and CP to my taste

Craigslist finds Tiernan SOB, New Braunfels Black Diamond, Big Green Egg Mini

By the way, did she mention my name-just in passing?
Gordon Lightfoot

Last edited by 16Adams; 01-20-2013 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: sc
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 08:12 AM   #20
16Adams
is One Chatty Farker

Another thought on chili. When I'm cooking for my family I always get the response,"this tastes just like Dad used to make". When I'm cooking for friends the response is "this is great, but tastes nothing like my Dad used to make". I believe, although some don't realize it, that chili is the ultimate comfort food

Gordon Lightfoot

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #21
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamfour View Post
JohnHB, nothing proprietary in mine. Nopalitos are pickled cactus leaves that can be found on the Latino aisle at a supermarket or at an international food mart. Enjoy.
I agree with you and you should be used as an example. Do you support my comment on trying to avoid proprietary ingredient in a recipe so as to make it universally reproducible?
John

Unread 01-20-2013, 08:25 AM   #22
jacob
Babbling Farker

There are 2 basic's for chili and that is chili powder and cumin 2 table spoon of powder and I teaspoon on cumin per pound of meat. From there you can make it your own depending on your taste. The possibilities are endless and most the creations are delightful. Remember to take notes so when you nail it you will be able to see what you did for future pots of chili.
Courtesy of Ray Lampe
jacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 08:31 AM   #23
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
I agree with you and you should be used as an example. Do you support my comment on trying to avoid proprietary ingredient in a recipe so as to make it universally reproducible?
John
Yes, by all means a recipe should be universal. Just be cognizant that some chili recipes were developed for competitions and the creator could care less if it is reproducible (and it some cases purposely so).
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 08:33 AM   #24
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
John
Hey John,
If you want to produce some great Chili in your neck of the woods. Check out this link. It should keep ya busy for quite a while. Should have lots of ingredients that are availabe in your neck of the woods. Its winter here so chili is one of those warm ya up type foods. Good Luck!

http://www.chilicookoff.com/Recipe/R...ipes.asp?Cat=1

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 09:02 AM   #25
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

I have made my comp chili over and over and over and I''ll bet you that there were not two batches that were the same. Something is always different. It may be close but batch to batch is different. If you can't find some of the products listed in a recipe, then improvise. I use about 6 different recipes and every one was built from another recipe. Hot sauce is hot sauce , which do you like? Tomato juice........Pick a favorite Todd's Dirt.......He's a Brethren and I bet he ships to Australia
Smokin' Bucky UDS
Weber Q100, Weber Q200
1983 WGA Early 70's Red Weber Statesman
1995 Red Weber Master Touch
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #26
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Here's mine. It was my very first blog post over four years ago.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #27
chingador
Full Fledged Farker

I was working on a competition chili recipe for a contest at my country club (that ended up getting cancelled) and really came up with something good. I like my chili but always felt it was missing something. My recipe always relied on good chili powder from penzy's mixed with gebhart chili powder + cumin but something was missing. On a whim, I tried unsweetened cocoa powder. It really filled the gaps in the flavor profile and really complimented the flavors of the chili and cumin. Here is a loose recipe of what I did

3lbs brisket (uncooked. I do not like pre-smoked meat in my chili) cubed 1/4 inch
2lbs pork butt, cubed to 1/4"
Meat was lightly seasoned with Big Ron's chili mix.

Brown the meat in bacon fat in a large skillet. In a large pot, I saute one copped onion and 2 or 3 fine chopped jalepenos inn olive oil. Once the onions are translucent, I add chopped garlic (8 cloves or so). Once the garlic changes color, I turn heat to low and add one can of tomato paste and saute until the tomato past starts to darken a bit. Then I add 2 dark beers (Spaten Octoberfest) to mix. At this point, I put the meat in and filled with beef broth until the liquid is about an inch or so over the meat. At this time, I toss inn my first spice dump, which is:

2 tbs Gebhart Chili Powder
1 tbs Penzy's Ancho Chili Powder
3 tbs Fiesta Brand Pinto Bean Seasoning
1 tbs cumin
1tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp mexican oregano
2 tbs Wylers chicken bouillon crystals
1 tbs Wylers beef bouillon crystals
1 packet sauzon Goya (msg - I used the achiote flavor)
1 tbs brown sugar
salt to taste

I simmered for a couple of hours at low medium covered. Keep testing the meat. As soon as the meat begins to get tender, I would make my second spice dump, which was:

1 tbs Penzys ancho chili powder
1 tbs Penzys medium chili powder
1 tbs granulated garlic
1 tbs cumin
1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
brown sugar to taste (use to balance the flavors, you do not want your chili sweet)
salt to taste
cayenne to reach desired heat level

Simmer for another 30 minutes. Depending on the state of the chili, now is when you want to thicken. There are a couple ways to do this. I use tortilla crumbs because they are available. They give the chili an earthy taste. you can also use corn masa mixed with hot water. There is a cheat used by competition cooks. They take a can of Ranch Style beans and run them through a food processor then add to the chili. I have done this and continue to do this when the chili is too watery. This also helps round out the flavors.

This is the best chili I have ever made and will be make like this from now on. The unsweetened cocoa really helped out. I strongly suggest you guys try it. Also, I used brisket. I have been using chuck or eye of round roasts cut inn 1/4" pieces. Brisket is better. Also, it is important to use some pork too. Just helps with the overall flavor.

The chili is ready when the meat is close to breaking apart. You still want the chunks intact, but very tender.

Primo Oval XL, BPS drum, Weber gasser
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #28
Westexbbq
somebody shut me the fark up.

All really good recipes above, no doubt. I am familiar with several and over the years have borrowed from a few here and there to help develop my own. All I can add is that my first ingredient always starts with no beans.
Texas International Pop Festival, Labor Day 1969.
IMBAS Certified.
Just roll me up and smoke me when I die.
Always remember, no matter where ya go,
there you are.
I wanna tell you 'bout Texas radio and the big beat.
Someday, I hope to visit Penelope.
Hondo Crouch, Famous Late Mayor of Lunkenbach, Texas who advocated a 'dillo diet: "You can eat nothing but armadillos for a month, but you will have to run down and catch all the armadillos you eat and it can really take the weight off!"

Westexbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westexbbq View Post
... All I can add is that my first ingredient always starts with no beans.
Then I suspect it wouldn't be chili in New England.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-20-2013, 11:23 AM   #30
16Adams
is One Chatty Farker

I have a friend whose co workers gave him fits several years ago for adding pinto beans to his chili. He loves beans and adds them to everything. So to avoid the ribbing the next time he added a can of bean dip. Same flavor but beans are invisible. Everyone wants, and a few have offered to pay for his "secret" chili recipe. He just laughs. Its ok to know something that no one else knows

Gordon Lightfoot