The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 01-18-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

 
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Expanded grate cleaning

I apologize for the post as I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times but the search function on tapatalk blows.

Gonna be working on a small restoration project this weekend and the expanded grates I got look like they were rarely cleaned in the 18 years this guy had the cooker. What's the best way to get me as close to factory condition as possible since I have no clue how or what this guy has been cookin? Maybe multicolored cats for a TD?

Thanks Brethren.
__________________
WSM 22 ~ WSM 18 ~ Maverick ET-732 ~ Flaming Fast Thermapen ~ Weber SS Performer ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber 22 OTPlus ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber Q300

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #2
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker
 
javahog2002's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-09
Location: Longmont, CO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I just use a wire brush on the expanded metal grate which is over the firebox of my offset cooker. However, It never looks like factory condition. Buy some new expanded metal from Grainger if you need shiny new looking grates.

What kind of cooker are you reworking ? Does the boss know about this "another cooker " ?
__________________
Smokemaster Offset*'70 Hasty Bake*WSM 18.5*'00 Plum SSP*'69 Cado*'90 Red MT*'73 WSJ*Imperial Kamado

Last edited by javahog2002; 01-18-2013 at 02:20 AM..
javahog2002 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-18-2013, 04:49 AM   #3
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 12-11-07
Location: N. Andover, MA
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Bought a used Lang from that same guy! I got some oven cleaner and plastic bags. Sprayed the grates and put them in the bag, so the cleaner would not dry out, for a day or so. Took them out hosed them off and gave them a scrape. Repeat the process. When dry hit them with a wire wheel. Re-season and they were good to go.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

 
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by javahog2002 View Post
I just use a wire brush on the expanded metal grate which is over the firebox of my offset cooker. However, It never looks like factory condition. Buy some new expanded metal from Grainger if you need shiny new looking grates.

What kind of cooker are you reworking ? Does the boss know about this "another cooker " ?
Picked up an 18x30 Pitts & Spitts offset from a guy in Denver. He bought it from their showroom floor in Houston about 18 years ago. And yeah the boss knows. She approved it with a smile, and then proceeded to tell me about the new tablet she wanted.
__________________
WSM 22 ~ WSM 18 ~ Maverick ET-732 ~ Flaming Fast Thermapen ~ Weber SS Performer ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber 22 OTPlus ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber Q300

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

 
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
Bought a used Lang from that same guy! I got some oven cleaner and plastic bags. Sprayed the grates and put them in the bag, so the cleaner would not dry out, for a day or so. Took them out hosed them off and gave them a scrape. Repeat the process. When dry hit them with a wire wheel. Re-season and they were good to go.
That sounds like a plan. Thanks D!
__________________
WSM 22 ~ WSM 18 ~ Maverick ET-732 ~ Flaming Fast Thermapen ~ Weber SS Performer ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber 22 OTPlus ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber Q300

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-18-2013, 07:14 AM   #6
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker
 
BigBlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-22-11
Location: Cape Carteret NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I have mine sand blasted they come out looking brand new. Then coat them with the cheapest cooking spray you can find and put them on the cooker at 300 for 30 minutes and you are good to go
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

 
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock View Post
I have mine sand blasted they come out looking brand new. Then coat them with the cheapest cooking spray you can find and put them on the cooker at 300 for 30 minutes and you are good to go
How much does something like that cost?
__________________
WSM 22 ~ WSM 18 ~ Maverick ET-732 ~ Flaming Fast Thermapen ~ Weber SS Performer ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber 22 OTPlus ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber Q300

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-18-2013, 07:24 AM   #8
jorrflv
Knows what a fatty is.
 
Join Date: 11-14-12
Location: North Las Vegas, NV
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

That should be less than $10
__________________
UDS, COS, iGrill, Love to BBQ
jorrflv is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:35 AM   #9
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker
 
BigBlock's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-22-11
Location: Cape Carteret NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle View Post
How much does something like that cost?
depends on how big and how many it cost me $50.00 to do the main grate on my pig cooker and two other flipping grates and I thought that was reasonable
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #10
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
Wampus's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-05-09
Location: Mooresville, IN
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Yeah, sandblasting will take off EVERYTHING, instantly.
Check your local listings for a sandblasting company. I've had them do a whole 55 gallon drum, inside and out, lid and all for only $25.

Just be aware that you'll end up with raw, bare metal and it will start to rust very quickly when exposed to air or moisture. Just spray the grates down with veg oil when you get them home, then heat to season.
__________________
SSUDS
18.5", 22.5" OTS
Weber Performer
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #11
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

 
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-09-12
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
Yeah, sandblasting will take off EVERYTHING, instantly.
Check your local listings for a sandblasting company. I've had them do a whole 55 gallon drum, inside and out, lid and all for only $25.

Just be aware that you'll end up with raw, bare metal and it will start to rust very quickly when exposed to air or moisture. Just spray the grates down with veg oil when you get them home, then heat to season.
Yeah I got a few calls out to some local companies. I figured once I get them home to just treat them like I would if I were seasoning CI.

Thanks guys!
__________________
WSM 22 ~ WSM 18 ~ Maverick ET-732 ~ Flaming Fast Thermapen ~ Weber SS Performer ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber 22 OTPlus ~ Weber 22 OTS ~ Weber Q300

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-18-2013, 10:10 AM   #12
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker
 
Bludawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-04-09
Location: Jonesboro,Tx
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Blast them with a TX match knock off whats left with a wire brush re-season and cook away. If you drink more than 2 beers during this process remove a corner from your man card.
__________________
I never met a Cow that I didn't like with a little Salt & Pepper! Certified PORK-A-HOLIC
Bludawg is online now   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
dadsr4
is One Chatty Farker

 
Join Date: 02-08-10
Location: Howell, MI
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' D View Post
Bought a used Lang from that same guy! I got some oven cleaner and plastic bags. Sprayed the grates and put them in the bag, so the cleaner would not dry out, for a day or so. Took them out hosed them off and gave them a scrape. Repeat the process. When dry hit them with a wire wheel. Re-season and they were good to go.
Never tried this with expanded, but using this method every year or so, I am still using the original 35 year old grate on my Weber kettle. The plating is mostly gone, but oiled it still cooks like new.
__________________
Two Weber daisy wheel kettles A: 1979 P: 1993
dadsr4 is offline   Reply With Quote


Unread 01-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

 
Join Date: 01-16-10
Location: Dallas, TX
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Pressure washer or blow torch.
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
Ole Man Dan
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 07-24-11
Location: Gadsden, Alabama
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fo Sizzle My Nizzle View Post
I apologize for the post as I'm sure this has been answered a thousand times but the search function on tapatalk blows.

Gonna be working on a small restoration project this weekend and the expanded grates I got look like they were rarely cleaned in the 18 years this guy had the cooker. What's the best way to get me as close to factory condition as possible since I have no clue how or what this guy has been cookin? Maybe multicolored cats for a TD?

Thanks Brethren.
You can use a wire brush or chuck a wire brush in your drill to clean em.
Spray it with 'Simply Green' first, then brush it.

If its really old, it may be easier to go to your local welder and give him the dimensions and get a new one.
I bought an old Offset last year. The grate was in poor condition, so I replaced, rather than attempting to clean it.
(Wasn't sure what had been on it before)
Ole Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts