MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #1
iamasmoker
Knows what a fatty is.

Default St Louis Ribs

Does Anyone know about how much weight gets trimmed off of a rack of spare ribs when you cut them down to St Louis Cut?

I am trying to figure out if it is cheaper to buy St Louis Cut ribs or to buy spare ribs and cut them down.

Thanks
iamasmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
firefighter4634
is one Smokin' Farker

I have never checked. But, you do not have to throw away the trimmings, keep them, smoked it and use for some great BBQ baked beans. Or just snake on it while the ribs finish cooking.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Derrick D
On the road to being a farker

Spares are cheaper and you trim in one piece cook em and you have delicious rib tips!

Old 01-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #4
Bob13
Full Fledged Farker

Location: Home of the 11 time World Series Champion Cardinals

It'll take you two minutes, maybe, to cut spares to St. Louis style, plus the fact that you get to keep the trimmings, and all for a cheaper price per pound makes it absolutely worth it IMO.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=98483

Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Do you that sign over there that says rib tips?...

Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have a freezer full of rib tips. Every so often I make a huge batch of chile verde using the tips. Then I have frozen chile verde to last me 6 months!
That said, if I am cooking more than 2-3 racks of ribs, I will go to Costco and buy their Cryovac St. Louis Ribs. Rib tips are tasty but a pain in the neck due to all the little cartilage pieces that you have to fish out.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
BobM
Babbling Farker

I always buy full spare rub racks and cut them down myself. My wife actually likes the tips better than the ribs!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #8
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
Do you that sign over there that says rib tips?...
?????????

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
Pugi
Full Fledged Farker

When I am cooking for myself I cook full spares. Each rib has a ton of meat. Cooking for others I trim them, makes for better presentation and the eater has each end of bone to hang onto.
Pugi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyleach View Post
?????????
Sorry, couldn't resist. It is a national lampoons vacation quote (or probably a slight misquote)

Old 01-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
columbia1
is one Smokin' Farker

I just happened to check that over the weekend, started with a 6.10# slab of spares and cut them down to St. Louis's, finished weight was just slightly over 3#'s. so 50% would be a good ball park number.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB. and misc grills.
[URL="https://www.facebook.com/TombstoneBbq?ref=hl"]Tombstone BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
columbia1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't matter how much comes off its all edible ever heard of a "Cooks Treat"?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #13
plakers
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia1 View Post
I just happened to check that over the weekend, started with a 6.10# slab of spares and cut them down to St. Louis's, finished weight was just slightly over 3#'s. so 50% would be a good ball park number.

I just did that this weekend too. Spares at Cash&Carry were 1.82/lb, St Louies were $2.78/lb. Out of a 14 pound three pack I got 7 lbs of tips and flap.Thats 50%. The BBs were an even better deal but I had my heart set on spares.

Unlike some, I dont mind the cartlidge and love the flavor of the tips. I also ussually fry up the flap for breakfast right after I break them down. And to be fair, precuts ussually still have some flap attatched and sometimes a bit of the tips(they tend to weigh more in the pack than when I trim them)

So I do it both ways. When Im ambitious I get spares but if Im just looking for ribs and Im serving to guests I go for the pre-cuts. If the cost of the St Louies were the only factor then buying precut is the better deal most of the time.