喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-18-2012, 10:45 AM   #16
Crimson
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Well you cant ship into Australia and with the I dont beleave your can.

Dec 6 2012 PQA0858 Emergency Measures for Capsicum seed from all countries

http://www.aqis.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex...&TopicID=25133

http://www.daff.gov.au/__data/assets.../cant-mail.pdf

Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #17
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Interesting, but I am not in Australia, and I don't know of any import restrictions into the European Union. I also don't really care, because I guess some seeds in a postal letter will not be subject to inspection anyway.

Unread 12-18-2012, 11:22 AM   #18
Crimson
Knows what a fatty is.

Yes saw it wrong.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #19
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
Interesting, but I am not in Australia, and I don't know of any import restrictions into the European Union. I also don't really care, because I guess some seeds in a postal letter will not be subject to inspection anyway.
Sargeant Schultz mod...
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:34 AM   #20
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up It's Christmas Time!

The first seeds have arrived right on Christmas, I'd say the best Christmas present this year! Thanks a lot, Captndan

Unread 01-11-2013, 11:58 AM   #21
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

And it's Christmas once again!

By courtesy of Sammy_Shuford, thanks a lot for this fantastic present.

I am already very excited, and can't await to finally start my own chili & peppers herb garden, which is still far away considering the nasty weather and ongoing winter.

So we now have some Anaheim, Jalapeno and Habanero. Anything else that would make a nice addition to that chili & peppers herb garden?

This is absolutely amazing, and would be impossible without the help of you guys over there.

Unread 01-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #22
kw
Knows what a fatty is.

How much luck have any of you had starting habanero type peppers from seed? I haven't had the best luck.
kw is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw View Post
How much luck have any of you had starting habanero type peppers from seed? I haven't had the best luck.
What was the problem?

It has been mentioned, that seeds that got frozen will not germinate any more, which is what rocketmanray is actually fighting with.

Other than that I can not see any show-stopper for that endeavor, but of course I do not have any experience and results yet.

Unread 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #24
realspaazz
Take a breath!

Habanero seeds can be a bit harder to germinate. They tend to like a warmer spot (75-80*F) Some gardeners use a special warming mat underneath the sprouting pots to give a boost. With your short season be sure to start your peppers early, indoors to get a jump on the season.

Unread 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
kw
Knows what a fatty is.

I was told to place the seeds in a paper towel that had been dampened with tea. If I recall correctly, the tannins in the tea helped the seeds germinate.

Doesn't matter these days what I put out in the garden. I'm tired of feeding rabbits, groundhogs and deer. Get rid of one and 5 more show up.
kw is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #26
lowbass
is one Smokin' Farker

WOW! Wish I would have seen your post earlier, I think I could have helped you out more. But I'll try to help a little now.

I see you've received some seeds already. One thing you must remember is that super hot pepper plants like Habaneros have a longer growing season. It's also very important that your night time temps and your soil temps are no lower than 55deg F.

When I grow Habaneros and super hot peppers it normally takes at least 90 days outside in warm weather for the peppers to set and ripen. And also an additional 8-12 weeks inside if you're starting from seed.

You can grow your pepper plants in 5 gallon buckets or plant pots of a similar size if you're short on yard space. If you do grow in a container remember to use POTTING MIX! Not potting soil or garden soil. Do not over fertilize or over water.

If you want some good advice on growing plants and peppers check out
"The Gardenweb Forum"
It's a very good site, and this is getting close to the time when you start seeds here in the US. So there should be a lot of info on there now. Good Luck!
lowbass is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #27
Mammoth Mountain
Knows what a fatty is.

Location: Orting Wa up on the hillside of a Volcano Mt. Rainier

I have a couple of pounds of Ghost peppers with lots of seeds. PM if you want some. I also have some Porcelain Doll Pink Pumpkin seeds.

Unread 01-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #28
Gulf
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw View Post
.......Doesn't matter these days what I put out in the garden. I'm tired of feeding rabbits, groundhogs and deer. Get rid of one and 5 more show up.....
Sounds like you have the perfect bait for Food .
Gulf is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #29
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by This is not your pork! View Post
I think both (Habanero & Jalapeno) should grow just fine here, they surely get enough sun, water and moderate temperatures. It's my wife's herb garden and she (being in the florist business) very well knows about such plants, it's just that they are not common here, and she couldn't find seeds anywhere locally.
Many of us can get you seeds. And, you should have a window of opportunity to grow them. Believe it or not, for part of the year here in North Texas, it is actually too hot for peppers to set fruit.

You should really build a raised bed for them, filled with soil that drains well. They need water, like any plant, but don't like wet feet (roots). My herb garden is at ground level, and is just local soil, while my pepper garden is raised four inches above ground level, and filled with soil that drains well, covered with mulch. You want very slightly damp soil, not wet, for chile peppers.

If it rains a lot in the summer there, you need to raise your pepper garden six inches or more. My four-inch lift is in North Texas, where we sometimes go months without rain in the summer. If you stick a finger in your pepper soil, and your finger gets wet, that's too much moisture for peppers. For lack of a better description, it should feel just barely "not dry."

Edit: As already mentioned, go easy on the fertilizer, too. Too much can get you some huge plants with no fruit.

My first peppers each year are usually mild. My late season jalepeño peppers this year were scorching hot -- even by my Mexican friend Carlos' standards. I finally made that farker sweat.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-14-2013, 03:16 AM   #30
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

get biker billy seeds from Burbee's seed catalog...awesome hot peppers!