The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
earthling30
Full Fledged Farker

Default ??'s about the WSM 18.5

For those of you that have one, how do you like it? Is it easy to control the temp? Is the temp gage accurate? How does it compare to a well used UDS?

The reason for the questions is my employer is giving me a 15 years service gift and the WSM 18.5 is one of the many choices and the only one that involves BBQ. After all it's a Weber which I know the quality of the production will be great. I have a UDS which I'm very happy with, so I'm kind of considering getting one to add to the family, just wanted to get your input and thoughts on it before moving forward with this.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have a 22" WSM. I can honestly say I love it. It's pretty freaking close to a UDS in a lot of ways, but you won't ever regret having one. Not ever, and if it's free, all the better. It is ridiculously easy to control the temp in those things. It's a very set it and forget it kind of smoker. The 22" is a bit of a fuel hog, but I always have some leftover for the next cook. Fill the ring up, and it's good to go for the duration of any cook I've ever thrown at it, and it's been a lot.

Unless there's something else you REALLY want on that list, I cannot recommend that sucker enough. You'll never go "Man, that thing was a total waste of an anniversary gift."

Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 AM   #3
J'ville Grill
is Blowin Smoke!

It's super easy to cono the temp on a 18.5 WSM. And my temp gauge actually is accurate, although I like to use a probe thermometer at grate level.

You've got a chance to get one free there's nothing to think about, mine cost me $300.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:10 AM   #4
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I hoard 18.5" WSMs.

'Nuff said..

Seriously, they are great cookers and very easy to control. I do not have one with the factory thermo, so I can't speak to how well they work, but guys have posted on here that they can be 30 degrees off either way.

Better get the freebie while you can!
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
fedex
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthling30 View Post
For those of you that have one, how do you like it? Is it easy to control the temp? Is the temp gage accurate? How does it compare to a well used UDS?

The reason for the questions is my employer is giving me a 15 years service gift and the WSM 18.5 is one of the many choices and the only one that involves BBQ. After all it's a Weber which I know the quality of the production will be great. I have a UDS which I'm very happy with, so I'm kind of considering getting one to add to the family, just wanted to get your input and thoughts on it before moving forward with this.
WOW! My choices were a set of binoculors or a watch. A couple weeks ago I thought about selling My 18" be cause of lack of use (UDS and a couple Kettles) I was convinced on this forum not to. Glad I kept it. It's FREE get it. Just wondering, What else could you choose from? A WSM is an awesome gift.
UDS, Yellow 22", 2008 Weber Ranch, SS Blue Performer, 18" Blue Platinum, Wife Model#1962
fedex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dayum! I got a freaking 6"x6" piece of etched glass thanking me for 25 years of service to _____ County. Wanna trade for that 18" WSM?

Get it while you can! (the WSM that is, you will love it!)
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #7
Bluebird
Take a breath!

I love my 18.5" WSM, no problem controlling the temperature. I find my thermometer reads a little cooler than the grate temperature but that's really no problem for me. Just pick the smoker!

Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
fantomlord
is One Chatty Farker

you'll love it...set it and forget it. Mine holds temp for hours without budging.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
Tim Campbell
On the road to being a farker

Get it if you don't have a smoker. If there is a TV on the list, that may be the only other choice I would go with

Old 01-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #10
volfan411

I have one and love it.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #11
JonM106
Knows what a fatty is.

Love mine. Easy to control temps, and it holds enough coals that I've done 19-hour cooks on one load of coals.
JonM106 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 07:19 AM   #12
grilling24x7
Full Fledged Farker

It's a great smoker. My only complaint is that you can't lay many racks of ribs flat because of size. You also can't cook any big packer briskets. But I cooked 25 lbs of pork butts and brisket flats for my daughters bday party and it was great.

Size is the only reason I'm now building a UDS!

John

Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #13
Icekub

You asked how it would compare to a well seasoned UDS. My answer to that would be that it holds a bit steadier temp and isn't quite as wind sensitive. Very comparable but btw the 2, I like the WSM more.
Icekub is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #14
Porcine Perfection
is one Smokin' Farker

Have one and would get another in a second.

"You don't win friends with salad!" - Homer Simpson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
PatAttack
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I love mine! Very easy to control temps and one load of fuel will run 10-12 hours @ 275 for me. The thermometer on mine isn't very accurate. Seems to be between 20-25 degrees off according to the Maverick. I'd have another one in a second!
Weber 22" OTG
KCBS CBJ
"You have never lived until you have almost died". "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know".-Unknown Vietnam Soldier
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote