The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 01-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #31
Q Junkie
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Buds BBQ View Post
No...your problem is that you are cooking brisket. Which is not really BBQ!

THAT, SIR... was an ugly thing to say.
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #32
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Junkie View Post
THAT, SIR... was an ugly thing to say.
Sorry! But what is true... is true....the BBQ shall rise again!

Unread 01-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #33
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My wife says I'm always complaining just to be controversial. I tell here I'm just making conversation, it's just too boring to be agreeable all the time.

So there you have it...we're just making conversation.

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #34
Q Junkie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Sorry! But what is true... is true....the BBQ shall rise again!

Just because your idea of BBQ is making a quiche on a BGE does not mean that's what I have to believe in.

Unread 01-07-2013, 07:13 PM   #35
MisterChrister
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I think people belittle other methods in hopes of compensating for having tiny junk.

That's why I do it anyway.
Jeez Greg, 50" & Chubby are in your signature. I generally try not to speak kindly or otherwise about other guys' junk, but I'd say you're doing at least "okay"!

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #36
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Just because your idea of BBQ is making a quiche on a BGE does not mean that's what I have to believe in.
BGE!!!! One of them forin' cookers from Japan! Not a real cooker!!!!

1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 01-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #37
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
Jeez Greg, 50" & Chubby are in your signature. I generally try not to speak kindly or otherwise about other guys' junk, but I'd say you're doing at least "okay"!

this just got awkward

that just goes to show how "close" the brethren family can be

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #38
Uncle Buds BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Oh Q Junkie! You didn't reply! I needed one more!

This is my 500th post! Que the band and pop the champagne!

Can't play anymore...got to watch BAMA kick some Irish a$$.

Unread 01-07-2013, 07:40 PM   #39
Q Junkie
Full Fledged Farker

I am trying to find the thread that explains the numbering system for insults.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #40
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm not big on rules. Especially when it comes to something subjective, like good food.

I get a lot of inspiration from this forum, but I do not subscribe to BBQ ideologies -- well, other than IMBAS rules for MOINK balls.

It's like wine, or beer or anything else you eat and drink. Bottom line, you gotta' like the way it tastes, or it ain't good.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #41
robbq
On the road to being a farker

It's about the quest for perfection! I am a BBQ novice, but I make some pretty good stuff. Then I look on here at the amazing stuff you all turn out and I see how much better it can be.

I love cooking, but the two things that intrigue me most right now are smoking meat and baking bread. Both take time and patience, and both are as much art as science.

And by the way, sometimes I use a slow cooker...
WSM 18.5, Smokin-It Model #1, Vermont Castings Grill, MHP Grill, Purple Thermapen
robbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 09:43 PM   #42
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
That may not be BBQ but it does sound delicious.
Original Noobian Warlord
Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #43
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm not going to argue that making quiche on a BGE is BBQ. It isn't. It is baking on a BGE, which can also be used to make BBQ. That said, I do like me a good quiche. It may not be BBQ, but save me a slice.

But, when it comes to making real BBQ, it is easy to get all wrapped up in trying to "do it right," when doing it right, IMO, is very simply, making it taste good.

Some people foil, some don't. Some people mop, some don't. Some people sauce, some don't. I've eaten a lot of good Q, cooked a lot of different ways. It either tastes good, or it doesn't, and what tastes good to me, may not taste good to the next guy. Like it or not, what tastes good is subjective.

I can't see myself doing BBQ competitions, based on what I've read in the Competition forum. There would be too many farkers "shoulding" on me. My "art major" turn in box would probably get me disqualified, and my "pull the corncob out of your a**" response would probably get me banned from future competitions. I'd rather win a People's Choice than a Grand Champion, and most competitive BBQ cooks don't want to "waste their time" on the rif-raf that come to competitions wanting to taste good Q. Those people are annoying.

IMO, if you really care about BBQ, learn the basics, and then make your BBQ your own. Reach higher, kick it up a notch, play with your food. Fark the rules, aim for ohmigod moments. My goal, whenever and whatever I cook, is to make really good food, whether or not I did it the way it "should" be done.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2013, 10:28 PM   #44
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
argue, fuss and worry so much about what process is used to cook something? To me, if the end product tastes good and doesn't give me tomaine poisoning; I could care less if it was cooked at 150* or 700*, cooked nekkid or wrapped in foil, paper, birch bark, saran wrap, handmade papyrus or kevlar; cooked in a stickburner, kamado, UDS, on a propane grill, in a crockpot, on a stick over a campfire, or a smoker made out of an old portajon; rubbed, sauced, salted, or marinated. I expect food to taste good. That's all. Good food is good food, and there are many means to a successful end.

Discuss. :)
I agree that it doesn't matter what methods are used if it means great food. But I am seriously concerned about temperatures, times, volumes etc as one should be able to reproduce the process. And one should be able to provide sufficient info so others can produce the same quality great food. Nothing is more frustrating than to follow a recipe and fail because of wrong info.

Unread 01-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #45
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Well I hope you know that this is wrong. All drums or other smokers must face South...since that were BBQ started!

Yeah, but I'm already in the south, so I face mine east toward eastern NC, where real bbq started. But not too far east. The actual authentic bbq only originated in the western Piedmont of NC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsee View Post
For the same reason there's two main camps of sauces in the Carolina's and the ones who make the OTHER sauce are loco. ;)
There's only one camp of sauce here in NC. There are those other people down on the coast who just pour a bottle of straight vinegar over a pig, but I wouldn't really call that a sauce, per se.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I'm not going to argue that making quiche on a BGE is BBQ. It isn't. It is baking on a BGE, which can also be used to make BBQ. That said, I do like me a good quiche. It may not be BBQ, but save me a slice.

But, when it comes to making real BBQ, it is easy to get all wrapped up in trying to "do it right," when doing it right, IMO, is very simply, making it taste good.

Some people foil, some don't. Some people mop, some don't. Some people sauce, some don't. I've eaten a lot of good Q, cooked a lot of different ways. It either tastes good, or it doesn't, and what tastes good to me, may not taste good to the next guy. Like it or not, what tastes good is subjective.

I can't see myself doing BBQ competitions, based on what I've read in the Competition forum. There would be too many farkers "shoulding" on me. My "art major" turn in box would probably get me disqualified, and my "pull the corncob out of your a**" response would probably get me banned from future competitions. I'd rather win a People's Choice than a Grand Champion, and most competitive BBQ cooks don't want to "waste their time" on the rif-raf that come to competitions wanting to taste good Q. Those people are annoying.

IMO, if you really care about BBQ, learn the basics, and then make your BBQ your own. Reach higher, kick it up a notch, play with your food. Fark the rules, aim for ohmigod moments. My goal, whenever and whatever I cook, is to make really good food, whether or not I did it the way it "should" be done.

CD
Yep, I agree. Even if you are from Texas where they cook pieces of cows wrapped in paper and call it "bbq."

I just find it funny that everybody is always looking for the "magic bullet," that one obscure detail that will give you perfect bbq. I think that simple is often better, and that what works for me to make killer q might not work for you, or vice versa. You can make good bbq on any cooker within reason, using any method within reason. It just comes down to what method works for you. And if your food tastes good, I ain't worried about how you cooked it.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote