MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Tim Campbell
On the road to being a farker

Default Smaller ring on WSM for smaller cooks?

Do you think making a smaller ring fora 22" WSM would be beneficial for smaller cooks? I was thinking I could pack in the lump easier.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
Tim Campbell

I just found another thread on this. Should have searched! Broke the cardinal rule!

Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #3
BobM
Babbling Farker

I've been using an 18 1/2" ring in my 22 1/2" WSM.
For short cooks, at a lower temperature, with a small quantity of food, it saves a little fuel.
Otherwise I'm not sure there is any real advantage over the full size ring.

Bob
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #4
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

I've thought of this as well, in my case for my Egg's. It should work for the WSM as well, just get a sheet of expanded metal, roll it and bolt it into the shape of a circle. I think it should be easy. Kinda' like the fire box that we make for the UDS.
14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; [B][I][COLOR=red]Rapid-Fire-Red[/COLOR][/I][/B] Thermapen!; [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][I]Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE![/I][/B][/COLOR]
hav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 12:08 PM   #5
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

i also use my 18" ring in my 22" WSM. its great for ribs cooks or chicken. alot less fuel being used. works good.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
Will work for bbq
Babbling Farker

I tried it with my 18" ring and it did not work for me. But that's because I use a Guru, I removed the smaller ring and everything worked fine and I used less coal because I loaded it with less to begin with.

Agent 000 (Double O Zero)
Certified MOINK Baller

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Super sexy Farkernaut Avatar by N8man

Will work for bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hav View Post
I've thought of this as well, in my case for my Egg's. It should work for the WSM as well, just get a sheet of expanded metal, roll it and bolt it into the shape of a circle. I think it should be easy. Kinda' like the fire box that we make for the UDS.
It is easy and they work great.... I built this one for my Egg, it's diameter is closer to the charcoal grate. It;s just a ring only. It wasn't quite right for my Smokey Joe Tallboy (mini WSM)

So I made a second one for it...the ring is bolted together like the one above, and then wired to the round expando bottom. I bet one like this for a full size WSM would work fine too.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #8
Tim Campbell

Third eye, what is the diameter of yours?

Old 01-06-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
JONESY
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is the one I made. Works great.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=102347

Old 01-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Campbell View Post
Third eye, what is the diameter of yours?
The small one is 6-1/4" and the other one is 9-1/2".

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-06-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
swamprb

Here are just a couple that I use in my 22"WSM and Weber/Cajun Bandit/Performer

Stainless steel perf.

Holds equivalent amount as the 18"WSM ring

This is one is even smaller-great for 4-6 hour cooks

An expando ring

An 11" ring from a steel container

An expando ring on a SJS charcoal grate.

6"x6" perf steel cube basket in a 15 gallon Mini UDS

Go for it!
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
thirdeye

Brian, that is a good assortment of WSM options. I'll be forwarding those to my buddy at work that has a WSM on order. He is so stoked he can hardly stand it. I'm giving him an assortment of rubs and a variety pack of different woods.

I suggested he set it up at the shop for a few days at least, so we can do fatties, pork loins, sausages, chicken pieces and the like. In 3 or 4 cooks I figure he will be able to learn fire management, show off a little, and at the same time build up his confidence by getting some compliments on the food. It will be a win-win situation. Then he can take it home to sell the Mrs. on his new hobby. Heheheee.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 AM   #13
swamprb

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Brian, that is a good assortment of WSM options. I'll be forwarding those to my buddy at work that has a WSM on order. He is so stoked he can hardly stand it. I'm giving him an assortment of rubs and a variety pack of different woods.

I suggested he set it up at the shop for a few days at least, so we can do fatties, pork loins, sausages, chicken pieces and the like. In 3 or 4 cooks I figure he will be able to learn fire management, show off a little, and at the same time build up his confidence by getting some compliments on the food. It will be a win-win situation. Then he can take it home to sell the Mrs. on his new hobby. Heheheee.
I rarely do any long cooks with my 22" WSM's or Cajun Bandit, so I don't see the need to use the stock rings. I use them primarily for comps, and when the heavy meats are resting, I just empty out what little ash is left and start a fresh fire for ribs and chicken.

I do have a Cajun Bandit Stainless Steel High Airflow charcoal ring that will hold a full 21.6lb bag of Kingsford and if he's thinking of doing a heavy loaded big bullet low n slow, it might be something to consider, as an addition.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote