The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 01-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First Big Crowd Cook

I'm going to do a big cook for friends and need to know how many I can feed. I have a 36 Lang and it can hold about 70lbs, so how many would that do?

I would guess a little more than a person a pound.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET73, Maverick ET72

Check out my all things food (and movies) blog One Nine 3 Blog or at my Facebook Page

If you're a fellow Carolina Brethren come join us and be a part of the region where BBQ was born in America.
Cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #2
82's BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 2

What are you cooking?
82's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Butts and MIGHT do ribs.

Check out my all things food (and movies) blog One Nine 3 Blog or at my Facebook Page

If you're a fellow Carolina Brethren come join us and be a part of the region where BBQ was born in America.
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #4
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

This is a rough guess, and someone who knows more than I will likely be along shortly, but I'd say you can figure 50% yield (I assume you're talking about pork butts), so that'll give you approximately 35# of cooked pork, and you can figure 3 or 4 sammiches per pound depending on the crowd you're feeding. There are a lot of threads on this subject in this forum, so if you dig around you'll definitely find some good info.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #5
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Can you come up with a ball park number of people?

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
HBMTN
is One Chatty Farker

100 to 110 people with butts, you could stretch it to 140 people if each gets a 4oz sandwich. That would be max.
HBMTN is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Lake Dogs

There's really 2 questions, yes? Can a Lang 36 get 70lbs of butts on there, yes, but VERY VERY tightly. Watch your air circulation carefully. Yield should be something like 45 lbs pulled.

Then, how many will this feed? If you have eaters, and all they're eating will be 1, 2, or a pig might eat 3 sandwiches, then you're looking at 3/4ths of a pound per person, so maybe 55 to 60 eaters. 70 if they're not big eaters. 80 to 100 if there's lots of other stuff for them to eat.

Ribs, another story altogether. Some just serve a few bones per person. I dont know about you, but 'round here I've average about a full rack per person, but then these folks are EATERS. Frankly, they'd probably eat 1.5 racks if I ever made that many. I've yet to have leftover ribs except for the time we cooked 16 racks and only 6 people showed up, and even then we only had a few left-over... Ribs take up a lot of room for only a small amount of meat cooked...

You might want to cook, what, 6 butts and pull them off and into a cooler (warmer) while you load-er-up and cook the ribs.
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
PatAttack
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
There's really 2 questions, yes? Can a Lang 36 get 70lbs of butts on there, yes, but VERY VERY tightly. Watch your air circulation carefully. Yield should be something like 45 lbs pulled.

Then, how many will this feed? If you have eaters, and all they're eating will be 1, 2, or a pig might eat 3 sandwiches, then you're looking at 3/4ths of a pound per person, so maybe 55 to 60 eaters. 70 if they're not big eaters. 80 to 100 if there's lots of other stuff for them to eat.

Ribs, another story altogether. Some just serve a few bones per person. I dont know about you, but 'round here I've average about a full rack per person, but then these folks are EATERS. Frankly, they'd probably eat 1.5 racks if I ever made that many. I've yet to have leftover ribs except for the time we cooked 16 racks and only 6 people showed up, and even then we only had a few left-over... Ribs take up a lot of room for only a small amount of meat cooked...

You might want to cook, what, 6 butts and pull them off and into a cooler (warmer) while you load-er-up and cook the ribs.
Well, he hasn't invited me, so he's all good.
Stealthy Fast Black Thermapen
"You have never lived until you have almost died". "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know".-Unknown Vietnam Soldier
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

I guess I know how I eat so I was taking that into account. I've cooked 40lbs at once and still had some room that I thought I could cook another easily. I think once I tried to go 6-7 butts it'd be pushing it a bit.

My plain was to cook the butts the day before (or maybe do an over night cook) then do the ribs to be ready once people got there. I would probably do the ribs and cut them in a couple of bones. I wouldn't let people just dig out on them.

I think 50 people would be a safe number to guesstament to show up. We'll also have sides and things of that nature, so 5 butts and a couple of ribs should be fine?

Unread 01-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #10
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
Well, he hasn't invited me, so he's all good.
If you want to drive up to Greenville ... come on with your bad self. You're always welcome.

Unread 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
fingerlickin'

I would think for 50 you would want about 12 racks for 4 bones each or about 16 racks for 3 bones each. That's at least how I would plan it.

Edit. I think I meant 12 racks for 3 bones, 16 racks for 4 bones. Yeah, there's a reason I'm not a caterer or math teacher.

Jason

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

XL
Big Green Egg
, 22.5 Weber OTS, WSJ
Gold/Mini WSM, 18" & 22" WSM, UDS "No.8"
Flyers Orange Thermapen
Napkin Killers BBQ

Last edited by fingerlickin'; 01-03-2013 at 04:35 PM..
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

If I do both. I figured I'd do 8 racks max. Not everyone likes ribs or choose to eat ribs (I don't get it either so don't ask me).

Unread 01-03-2013, 08:28 PM   #13
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

6 butts overnight - use rib racks to conserve space.

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
Cack
is One Chatty Farker

So, I'm thinking 5-6 10lb butts and around 8 racks with sides. That sound like it'd cover?

Unread 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
Lake Dogs

Yes, I think so, frankly with room to spare. Last cook I did was for 42-44 people; I did 6 large butts and 8 racks of babyback ribs. Like always, the ribs were snarfed up fast (I was out in the boat; none there when it came time for me to eat), but even serving EATERS many times (2 people came back for, and I'm not kidding here, 7th helpings), we still had some leftover pulled pork. Your 5 or 6 butts should hold their own without the ribs...

* OFFICIAL NOTE: We serve Coke, REAL Coke, ala. Coca-Cola because I'm from Atlanta (home of Coca-Cola). Not cocaine! However, by the way a few of my dear friends and nephews eat, you couldn't tell that the BBQ wasn't coated in cocaine....