ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #31
BobBrisket

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I'd hit that plate HARD!!!! Nothing like arroz mixed with the mole! I prefer turkey to chicken. Just more flavor. Love it! Great info. Thanks for sharing!

bob
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #32
chicagokp
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks for posting. Mole with rice and warm tortillas is heaven!

White Lightning Thermopen
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #33
Pugi
Full Fledged Farker

I forgot to mention, this stuff freezes great. We put almost 2 gallons away in family sized containers. When you want to use it take from freezer throw in pot and warm to simmer then serve. I cannot tell the difference between fresh or frozen taste wise.
Pugi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2012, 01:58 PM   #34
chicagokp
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfinger View Post
You could pour that sauce over your bbq turkey.
+1 Mole rocks!

White Lightning Thermopen
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #35
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Yes please
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #36
Pugi
Full Fledged Farker

Default Edit to recipe

I decided to edit the recipe a little, Please follow along......

Use these chilis, try to not use the hot ones.

Then when the Mole is complete thouroghly drench these here birds in it.

I fully expect full reports after your try!!! I can almost guaranty it will be the most awesome BBQ mole ever!!!

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #37
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 4

I love this site for the BBQ and non BBQ stuff. It's the first place I come too when I'm looking for a specific recipe, cause I know whoever created it, it'll be good.
UDS
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub & Superior Smokers
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #38
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Pugi,
Thanks for the recipe. I'm looking forward to giving it a try.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #39
coyotero
Knows what a fatty is.

Pugi;

Thanks for posting your family recipe. Don't get discouraged by the nay-sayers, again thank for sharing.

I may not be from Michoacan, (was born in Coahuila), did my training in MA, (so I know a thing or two about the area).

I live in south Texas, "the Valley" in the middle of brush country surrounded by mesquite, bbquing as I type. I'm not a cook, (I'm a surgeon), but know enough to appreciate a good recipe that can be used -or should I said- must, be incorporated to our armamentarium.

My grandma used to do something like that, but as you know there are many variations, your thread brought me back to even the "smells" of that kitchen.

Thanks again

JV
coyotero is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #40
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

well, since I wrote the rules AND the forum description, I'll clarify it..

We are first and foremost a BBQ Forum.

We are more importantly, a BBQ community of bbq cooks, chefs, and mad scientists.... and with our skills come 2 things..

1 - We share what we cook, and if just because something is cooked on the stovetop, oven, crock pot or dutch oven, that does not mean it can not be adapted, or used in BBQ or Grilling. WE plant the seeds for one another, and its up to the individual to take these ideas and do as they please. Keep it as written or modify and expand to other platforms.

2 - We are not just a BBQ forum. Although that is our primary directive, as a community, we encourage and expect the sharing of things non BBQ.. thats why we have woodpile, D&R, online gaming, beer brewing, wine making, cigar lounge, etc.. we share out trials and tribulations and thats what makes us who and what we are.

and finally.. this goes back years.. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=54930

that was not bbq, but cooked in the oven under the broiler. Take it, and adapt it.... if you cook the steaks on the grill and fisinhs it in a closed kettle, it takws on the smokey flavors we love, but i still posted the oven/broiler version.. knowing it can be tweaked... just like you can do with Pugi's mole sauce.. grill the peppers, smoke a turkey and adapt!

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-31-2012, 09:29 AM   #41
JS-TX
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for posting, I know making mole from scratch is a lot of work but worth the effort. It's cool to see how everyone has their own variation. My mom makes hers with peanut butter something my grandma taught her. When you said your wife does all her measuring by hand I knew right there it was going to be good. I can't get a straight recipe out of my my mom cause she's the same way..lol
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-31-2012, 09:35 AM   #42
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugi View Post
Ill just explain the next part, after all is blended, take a clean pot and pour 3 or so Tbsp of oil in it, get it nice and hot, just below smoking point and pour in the blended ingredients. Turn down temp and bring to simmer with lid off. Let this simmer for half hour or so to bring all the different flavors together. The final ingredients are salt and chocolate. Both of these are to taste. Add them bit by bit to you get the flavor you want. Like I said before, the MIL goes more chili taste, the wife like more sweet(more chocolate).
About how much salt and chocolate are we talking about?
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-31-2012, 11:09 AM   #43
coyotero
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Mole

The history of mole is that of legends, and yes it dates back when the only way of cooking was over an open fire. Now mind you, those nuns back then didn't have blenders or even matches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(sauce)

JV
coyotero is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-31-2012, 12:05 PM   #44
Pugi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdog View Post
About how much salt and chocolate are we talking about?
We ended using about 5 ounces of chocolate for the 4 gallons of mole. Salt I'm going guess because it was added little by little. In total probably 2 teaspoons of kosher.

Unread 12-31-2012, 01:02 PM   #45
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Thanks, and thanks so much for sharing this amazing recipe. Sorry you took some flak from one of the members for posting something non-BBQ. While BBQ is the one thing that binds most of us here together, this site is so much more than that.
Pitman for All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote