喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
IbrahimSS
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cold Smokers: Maze type vs Electric vs DIY

Hello

I'm extremely interested in a cold smoker mainly for smoking up some fish. Right now I'm torn between the a maze type cold smoker or an electric for the smoke generator. They don't look that hard to build but frankly at the price I'm not sure it's worth doing even though both seem rather simple to rig together. So this search has now lead me the A-maze-N or WoodPelletSmoker's cold smoker.

Anyone know the pros/cons of these types of cold smokers?

Thanks
Sam
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
Used Lang 48 or Meadow Creek TS60 or Klose being hunted for so if you know of any PM me
IbrahimSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I use the A-maze-n pellet maze and it works great!
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
aawa
Babbling Farker

I have the A-maz-n smoker (the kind that only uses dust) My first run was on some cheddar cheese. I am going to be opening it up tonight to taste the cheese to see how it turned out. Using it was a breeze. In 48degree ambient temperature I used the AMNS and the temps in my Mini never went above 73 degrees.

Unread 12-27-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
IbrahimSS
Full Fledged Farker

thanks for the replies... Anyone have any experience with both types? Another example of the electric is the Smoke Daddy albeit significantly more expensive.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
Used Lang 48 or Meadow Creek TS60 or Klose being hunted for so if you know of any PM me

Unread 12-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
koko1
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Another vote for the maze. I have the pellet tube smoker and get 4+ hours of tbs out of it. On a plus side, Todd the guy that owns it, Is a great guy and a pleasure to do business with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
koko1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Marwendholt
On the road to being a farker

I have the A-maze-n pellet smoker and I love it. I thought about one of the fancy electric generators, but I didn't want to mess with having to plug it in. I wouldn't trade my maze for any other cold smoke generator on the market.

Unread 12-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
Yendor
Full Fledged Farker

I have a strainer with the center punched up to look like a doughnut, works great. I also have a can with a hole drilled into it and a new cheap soldering iron that I have not used yet, I heard that method works great though.
Yendor is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
daninnewjersey
is One Chatty Farker

I used the soldering iron/tin can thing for a while. Then my Harbor Freight soldering iron took a crap (plus the electric cord for the soldering iron was a pain in the ass). Since then, I've found there are a lot of things you can use for cold smoking....shell, cat food can (with bottom holes), and sometimes I just put a couple lit coals in my fire basket and put wood right on top of the coals. They never get too hot and burns for a couple hours....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Shell.jpg (109.3 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg can 1.jpg (41.0 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg can 2.jpg (54.3 KB, 143 views)

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
IbrahimSS
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
...sometimes I just put a couple lit coals in my fire basket and put wood right on top of the coals. They never get too hot and burns for a couple hours....
Hmmm... Im' going to have to give this a try before buying anything!
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS

Unread 12-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3

I did the wood chunks ontop of charcoal once. The virtualbullet website has a good write up. It worked well. I need to pratice ans experiment with it more. I bought a Maze because I needed a new toy. I also liked the fact that it would be easy to repeat the same every time, while the charcoal could vary based on how lit the charcoal is, how big chunks, etc.

I see no downside to the tin can soldering iron method. Lots of people here use it. It is all just a matter of experimenting with it to determine how long to smoke, how long to rest, etc.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I keep wondering which method produces the cleanest burning smoke?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2012, 08:42 PM   #12
IbrahimSS
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ---k--- View Post
I did the wood chunks ontop of charcoal once. The virtualbullet website has a good write up. It worked well. I need to pratice ans experiment with it more. I bought a Maze because I needed a new toy. I also liked the fact that it would be easy to repeat the same every time, while the charcoal could vary based on how lit the charcoal is, how big chunks, etc.

I see no downside to the tin can soldering iron method. Lots of people here use it. It is all just a matter of experimenting with it to determine how long to smoke, how long to rest, etc.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
do you have a link? you can PM me if it's against some policy!
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS

Unread 12-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I have tried the soldering iron, the charcoal/wood chunk combo, using pellets and or woodchips and just couldn't get the try flavor I was after...it was always bitter or too smokey. I recently bought the 6X6 A-Maze-n maze smoker and haven't looked back. It produces a nice, clean light blue smoke which is something I had not been able to achieve with other prior methods. I found the apple dust to be my favorite so far but i plan to experiment soon with a mix of apple/hickory for my next cheese smoke.

Former toys:
Lang 36, Lang 60, Spicewine large, BWS competitor, BWS party, custom 6ft stickburner/trailer, Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn, WSM 18", Chargriller offset
HB-BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-27-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
IamMadMan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I am more than please with my A-Maze-N pellet smoker. Great results every time.