The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
rlt
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Terrible ribs

So my son asked Santa for a lifetime supply of ribs, I'm not kidding. I thought that I would get started on Christmas for him. Let me start by saying that I am not a rib guy; my experience is pretty limited with them. I have only cooked them four or five times. I went to the store and all they had were babyback ribs, so I bought them. I got up christmas morning and got the egg ready like I always do, and put them on after some putting some rub on them

The egg wanted to cook at 270-280 yesterday so I let it go. I cooked them for three hours and then foiled. this is what they looked like just before foiling

I waited two hours and went out to check on them, they were done. At least I thought so. the bones came out when pulled on. This is one of the racks

They were good when they were hot, I cut a rack up and left it on a tray for guests to serve themselves. After about thirty minutes in the open they were inedible. The meat toughened up to the point that I gave it to the dog.

My questions are, Is there an optimal internal temp for ribs? I tried to do 3-2-1, but I didn't want to overcook them, is this even a concern if they are foiled? Should I have prepared babybacks differently than any other ribs. I have cooked other types and they turned out much better than this. In the end my boy liked them so that is all that mattered, but I was disappointed. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

Unread 12-26-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
LMAJ
somebody shut me the fark up.

5 hours seems a little long for back ribs that have also been foiled... 4 hours unfoiled usually works for me, but each rack is different. Maybe you just got some tough ribs - that happens.
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I cook between 270-290 and am usually done 3 or 4 hours with no foiling. You can check for doneness by the bend test (pick up in middle and they hang down both sides or pick up one side and make a 90 angle). Or toothpick tender test or see if you can twist a bone.

You'll get there soon - keep at it !
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #4
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

way too long in foil for those cooking temps. They were probably just about done when you initially foiled them.

Cannondale 2009 F8 (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
cameraman
is Blowin Smoke!

A refreshing thread. Those best ribs ever threads can get tedious. Sorry about your troubles.
is my tumblr photoblog

22.5 WSM
22.5 OTS Weber kettle
Smokey Joe (RIP)
a dorky little headlamp
cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
bigticket1
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Ropo View Post
way too long in foil for those cooking temps. They were probably just about done when you initially foiled them.
It does look like there was already some decent pull-back in that picture before foiling.
bigticket1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I cooked a few racks of BB yesterday on the old OTS 300 deg 3.5 hrs the pig honey was flowing. Closed the vents came back in 40 min to rib perfection. When you foiled those they where more than likely about perfect.

Unread 12-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Be careful giving pork to dogs. My shepherd had a bad reaction to pulled pork.

Unread 12-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #9
rlt

Thanks guys. I will have to try again, but this time I'll pull them earlier.

Unread 12-26-2012, 06:58 PM   #10
Rib-O-Lator
Full Fledged Farker

i would think on the egg you wouldn't have to foil. like the others have said, i think you over cooked them. the toothpick method works for me.
2. 22.5 kettles
a torch and weed burner in case the others fail, or i just want to burn somthin.
and a few Rib-O-lators (ROL)
Buford UDS kettle diffuser

B-O-B 206-999-0962 info@ribolator.com
http://www.ribolator.com
Rib-O-Lator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Hambone1950

I did the same thing with some beef ribs on Xmas eve....those pups woulda been perfect after 2 hrs and I went 3 without even checking on them...stupid. And like you say , they were good when they came off the cooker , but they hardened up like leather in short order.
Live and learn , I guess.

Unread 12-26-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
bbqbull

Downloads: 1

I am no expert here but my ribs pull away from the bone almost an inch before they are done. I grab the rack in the middle with some tongs and if they almost bend into an inverted horseshoe they are done. Otherwise I take a toothpick and slide it into the meat between the bones in the thickest part. If a tooth pick slides in easy I say they are done.
Never give up as others said. Once in a while I get some tough ribs too.

Click on this link......located at the top of Q-Talk. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818. Go to post #5 and see if this helps.

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote