The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonewagon View Post
Stock?
Yep thats the other one! Now think "sourdough brisket"
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Cracklins anyone?

Unread 12-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #18
cholloway
is One Chatty Farker

Mix some in with your next pone of cornbread.
33 year old Char-Broil 450
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
2003 Black Weber SS Performer
Weber 22.5 OTG with rotisserie & Smokenator
Weber SJS & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
STOK Island gasser
Recipient of Official & Un-Official Moink Certificates
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #19
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I was going to say the first stages of a really great cornbread or..... making tallow for this....

You can see the Tallow and water being released just before they launch the ship.

I appreciate the tip of the hat to my "Guess what I am Doing" concept. It looks like yall are having fun. The cracklins are mmmmmmmmmm.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #20
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Oh HOLD IT!!!!!!!!! I get it. The cracklin are a by product. Q Dat is using my ancient and secret brisket injection. LOL

Unread 12-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #21
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Oh HOLD IT!!!!!!!!! I get it. The cracklin are a by product. Q Dat is using my ancient and secret brisket injection. LOL
DING DING DING DING DING!!!!! We have a winner!

I'm attempting to simulate it in larger quantity.

This may be part of the process. I haven't decided yet.

Unread 12-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #22
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Got a stock going.

Unread 12-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #23
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Gettin happy...

Unread 12-24-2012, 10:56 PM   #24
chicagokp
is Blowin Smoke!

Dayum...whatever you are having/making, I want some!!!!

White Lightning Thermopen
chicagokp is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-25-2012, 08:52 AM   #25
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Technically not the sour dough brisket HOWEVER.... one thing that always made me think about say, friendship bread was... technically it had to start somewhere. The original drunken epiphany I had in the late 80's/ early 1990s when we were competing and there was talk that some areas up north (There was NOTHING happening north of Kansas) and the Jack was not really a international thing. It was a local thing. I lived in Decherd/Estill Springs/Winchester area at the time. Not to mention, east of Texarkana hardly ANYONE was doing any beef turn ins... well, brisket for competition was a Texas thing but we heard those pesky northerner that came down from Tennessee and Oklahoma were "injecting." We supposed if it ever came across at the Tyler or Taylor or one of the Rodeo BBQ's there would be disqualification if anyone ever admitted or observed it. Anyway, I drank a lot back then and remember someone spouting something off maybe Bill or Barbara Milroy, I think, like "what the hell you gonna inject a brisket with that you can't cook into it?" I started laughing and said "the smoking loveliness of your last brisket" tilted up my glass (filled with Jack Daniels chilled to 29 degrees so it would not melt the ice) and yelled "sour dough brisket."

Someone cooked one of those, we ate some and another I heard got turned in and it may or may not have won... I am not saying cuz maybe someone would have to give the trophy back because I think for a while afterward injecting was a DQ in Texas.

So... back to your stuff. Good idea cuz those smokey bones are a good start. I used brisket drippings (think guys - its filled with collagen, beef flavor and smoke and you cannot buy it) for years and when I started back up again doing 15 or so briskets at a time I developed my tri level process and the dirty Dalmatian to mimic the injection without having to inject.

Unread 12-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #26
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Technically not the sour dough brisket HOWEVER.... one thing that always made me think about say, friendship bread was... technically it had to start somewhere. The original drunken epiphany I had in the late 80's/ early 1990s when we were competing and there was talk that some areas up north (There was NOTHING happening north of Kansas) and the Jack was not really a international thing. It was a local thing. I lived in Decherd/Estill Springs/Winchester area at the time. Not to mention, east of Texarkana hardly ANYONE was doing any beef turn ins... well, brisket for competition was a Texas thing but we heard those pesky northerner that came down from Tennessee and Oklahoma were "injecting." We supposed if it ever came across at the Tyler or Taylor or one of the Rodeo BBQ's there would be disqualification if anyone ever admitted or observed it. Anyway, I drank a lot back then and remember someone spouting something off maybe Bill or Barbara Milroy, I think, like "what the hell you gonna inject a brisket with that you can't cook into it?" I started laughing and said "the smoking loveliness of your last brisket" tilted up my glass (filled with Jack Daniels chilled to 29 degrees so it would not melt the ice) and yelled "sour dough brisket."

Someone cooked one of those, we ate some and another I heard got turned in and it may or may not have won... I am not saying cuz maybe someone would have to give the trophy back because I think for a while afterward injecting was a DQ in Texas.

So... back to your stuff. Good idea cuz those smokey bones are a good start. I used brisket drippings (think guys - its filled with collagen, beef flavor and smoke and you cannot buy it) for years and when I started back up again doing 15 or so briskets at a time I developed my tri level process and the dirty Dalmatian to mimic the injection without having to inject.
This is what I'm thinking I inject the night before with the overly rich stock, and then right before applying the rub I use a larger needle to inject the beef fat all over the flat to simulate a higher grade of beef.
Yes I know that if cooked right even a select brisket is good, but I figure in a competition it really can come down to splitting hairs.

Unread 12-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #27
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Hmmmm on second thought this might end up as a large pot of some kind of stew or soup. There is soooo much gelatin in the finished product that it would have to be heated to be able to inject it. Then once injected its just going to set back up again when it cools.

But I still intend to use the fat.

Unread 12-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #28
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

The fat!!!

Unread 12-27-2012, 08:22 AM   #29
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
This is what I'm thinking I inject the night before with the overly rich stock, and then right before applying the rub I use a larger needle to inject the beef fat all over the flat to simulate a higher grade of beef.
Yes I know that if cooked right even a select brisket is good, but I figure in a competition it really can come down to splitting hairs.
I used to literally dump the brisket in the stock as well as inject it. Let it sit overnight.

I had a dry injector as well that I used to inject dry spices in that fat layer between the point and flat.

As far a select. LOL I would never show up and a competition with a select. BUT, like two bats before you get on the plate its a good idea to experiment on a select cut then quickly adjust before the comp on your higher grades.

Unread 12-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #30
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I just thought you were making a farking mess...
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote