The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Question Request: Jalapeno & Habanero Seeds

We have a small herb garden, which did not yield very much this year. We had a chili plant, but it gave exactly *one* red chili, which I had in chicken soap yesterday, and it wasn't even hot at all!

So my wife is asking for help:

Is anybody here with Jalapeno and Habanero in his own herb garden willing to share some seeds of both?

Such seeds seem to be impossible to get here, and we really would like to try some fresh from our own garden next year.

Compared to other (larger) items sent from the U.S. to Austria, this should be rather simple, I guess some seeds could easily be sent in a normal unregistered postal letter, and of course I would pay for the effort.

It's crazy how simple things can be so hard to accomplish. So if someone could help us out, I'd really appreciate it.

Unread 12-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Vision
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm sorry, I don't have any but somebody should be able to help you out.

Unread 12-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

I have habanero seeds in three colors. Pm me your address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carolina Pit Master
http://patio-q.com/
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Thumbs up

Thanks a lot, this is so great, I just love to be a member of the brethren. I wish I could return the favor, but there is absolutely nothing in the spirit of 'Q'ing Austria has to share.

Anybody else with some Jalapeno seeds?

It would be so great, to have some different kinds of hotness freshly available next season.

Unread 12-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
BobBrisket

What is your spring/summer season like? How long are they and what are the high and low temps like?

It may not necessrily be an issue with the seeds or plants, but the weather itself may have a big impact on it.
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

I think both (Habanero & Jalapeno) should grow just fine here, they surely get enough sun, water and moderate temperatures. It's my wife's herb garden and she (being in the florist business) very well knows about such plants, it's just that they are not common here, and she couldn't find seeds anywhere locally.

Unread 12-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Hozman
Take a breath!

If you are interested may be able to get you some
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T pepper

If you are interested and want some real heat let me know.

Unread 12-17-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hozman View Post
If you are interested may be able to get you some Trinidad Scorpion Butch T pepper If you are interested and want some real heat let me know.
I am not sure, this entry at wikipedia is not all that comforting:
Quote:
The Trinidad Scorpion Butch T variety pepper is ranked as the most pungent ("hot") pepper in the world, according to Guinness World Records. A laboratory test conducted in March 2011 measured a specimen of Trinidad Scorpion Butch T at 1,463,700 Scoville heat units, officially ranking it the hottest pepper in the world.
So can this one still be enjoyed? Are you talking about the seeds, or a ready to use pepper product?

I am not especially searching for hotness, this endeavor is about seeds for getting some fresh in the own herb garden, and Jalapeno + Habanero are just our first choice.

Unread 12-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
BobBrisket

The reason I was asking about weather was because it seems the plant you grew, grew well interms of the leaves, etc, but flowering, fruit set, and even the level of heat the pepper has is determined by day and more so night time temps. Soil and moisture have a big part in it as well.
Here's some good info:
http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/files/tiny_mce/file_manager/educ_info/Growing%20Tips.pdf

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
The reason I was asking about weather was because it seems the plant you grew, grew well interms of the leaves, etc, but flowering, fruit set, and even the level of heat the pepper has is determined by day and more so night time temps. Soil and moisture have a big part in it as well.
Thanks for the info, I'll show the wife. I am not an expert (but my wife is), I am just in for consuming the results.

Anyway, even if the conditions were not perfect for growing chili here, we still would try, because even a not so perfect but fresh result is way better than any dried commercial products.

So if anybody with home grown Jalapeno would be willing to share some seeds, it would be perfect.

Unread 12-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #11
aawa
Babbling Farker

If you are not one for "Hot" peppers the habanero might not be one that you would like. Some chiles that come to mind that you can get that are pretty mild are Jalapenos, Pasillas, and Anaheims.

I am not much of a pepper head when it comes to terms of hot. But I love the flavors different peppers give to dishes. I like to taste my food, not burn out my mouth and my lower O ring. I like Jalapenos because I find that if I seed and devein them, the flavor it adds is awesome and it isnt a mouth burning spicy.

Unread 12-17-2012, 05:19 PM   #12
rocketmanray
Full Fledged Farker

PM me your address, I have jalapeno seeds....

RMR
rocketmanray is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-17-2012, 06:05 PM   #13
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

PM me your address and I'll pick some up on my next trip to a friend of mine. He has both.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-18-2012, 01:59 AM   #14
This is not your pork!
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
If you are not one for "Hot" peppers the habanero might not be one that you would like. Some chiles that come to mind that you can get that are pretty mild are Jalapenos, Pasillas, and Anaheims. I am not much of a pepper head when it comes to terms of hot. But I love the flavors different peppers give to dishes. I like to taste my food, not burn out my mouth and my lower O ring. I like Jalapenos because I find that if I seed and devein them, the flavor it adds is awesome and it isnt a mouth burning spicy.
We like it both, hot & not, one just needs to have it available to be picked depending on dish & mood.

I never even heard of Pasillas and Anaheims, but the more variety the better, there is still enough space in our little herb garden. A fine selection of chili & peppers is what we are after.

Unread 12-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #15
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

I too have the seeds. PM
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote