The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #16
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
I start with the phrase that he is "my supervisor".
It would be in my advantage to cook something really good to bolster my rep as a cook and to make him happy!

I would just go buy a couple of briskets (probably flats) and cook them up.

You look good, he looks good, and I doubt that anyone (including him) would know the difference.

Small price to pay to avoid a potential "problem".

Let us know how it goes--OK?

TIM
I agree. Frozen meat from a slaughterhouse packer after about 2 years gets a funky taste in my experience. I would "substitute". You look good, he looks good. Nobody gets hurt. Then you can experiment at home with what he gave you. It is good for practice no matter how it tastes.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM   #17
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Even vacuum sealing (Foodsaver) says meat is good for up to two years not four.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdtn View Post
I agree. Frozen meat from a slaughterhouse packer after about 2 years gets a funky taste in my experience. I would "substitute". You look good, he looks good. Nobody gets hurt. Then you can experiment at home with what he gave you. It is good for practice no matter how it tastes.
Yeah, I definitely wouldn't "waste" what he gave you, experiment with it and if it is good, then eat it and if not, poison the dogs with it. I have eaten meat that had come from the packing house 2 1/2 - 3 years old from my own freezer that had gotten stuck behind something or whatever and only a "very few" times have I opened it up to find it freezer burned or it have an off flavor. If the packing house is good and they wrap it in high quality, waxed freezer paper, it should be fine or at least it is for a couple years anyway. I've never found one from 4 years ago mind ya. Don't know what I would expect to find from one frozen that long.

Unread 12-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #19
frognot
Babbling Farker

i wouldn't switch new meat for what he gave you unless you were prepared to do that everytime in the future. Do you really want to do that?

Would thaw, check it out & if questionable tell your supervisor and ask what he wants to do. You're cooking for him for free, why should you buy the meat?

Retired: NB Bandera (2003-2009) that introduced me to y'all crazy farkers

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it."
deguerre

Thanks to N8man & NorthwestBBQ for the custom avatars!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") "Hang in there Dan Chambers!"
frognot is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #20
BobBrisket

While I can see the reasoning with the act of buying meat to save the deal, I agree with Frognot. You shouldn't cover up for it out of your pocket. If it's bad or funky in any way, tell him about it. Let him know that it was probably due to being 4 years old. He may not even have seen the date, but needs to know about it. Also let him know that if you proceed with cooking it and it makes people sick or just tastes bad.....well, then that's not something you want to be saddled with.
Tell him to break out with the ribeyes, t-bones, etc. He's holding out, I tell ya!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #21
Grabnabber
is one Smokin' Farker

Have HIM cook it.

Weber OTG
Cast Iron Hibachi
Large BGE
Grabnabber is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
Just BS
Take a breath!

Make some taco's out of it, nobody will know the difference!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #23
Bludawg
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Cook it in a dutch oven until it is close to tender and finish it on the pit for some smoke and bark.

Unread 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #24
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Go buy a full packer 15# and say this is what you gave me, no loss of credibility and everyone is happy. I wouldn't put my name on that end product 4 year old meat, I know they say it's the cook not the cooker but dam.

Sent from my SGH-T999

Unread 12-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #25
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1

I would personally never cook any meat I'm not 100-percent sure about for a group of people. I'd be a nervous wreck.

Go buy some meat that you have confidence in. The boss doesn't have to know.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #26
IamMadMan
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Bandit View Post
If that date is verified .... talking about aging!?!?

Would rather grab a shovel, dig a deep hole for the beef... than trying to dig yourself out with your cooking reputation and your boss' questionable choice of 'aged' cuts.
^ +1 ... I agree, couldn't create a situation this bad for yourself if you tried...
4 Years Old?????

Unread 12-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #27
BobBrisket

I guess I see it this way.........the "boss" makes more money, I'm sure. It should come out of "his" pocket. He should be treating his employees to something good. This guy "raises" cattle. He can do better than 4 year old boiling beef!!! FARK THAT! There, I feel better. Tell him to break out with the good stuff!
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-K and DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!

Git Smokin, Dan!

Unread 12-13-2012, 07:50 PM   #28
landarc

I agree with Frognot and Beto, I would tell the boss that the meat is on the old side, tell him upfront. Let him know you will open it up, check it out, but, that if there is any doubt, you will not cook it.

If I had a reputation as a cook, I would not risk it because some guy thinks that meat is good enough for his workers. To be honest, I would have told him no, I prefer to buy my own meat for what I cook.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #29
BobBrisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
I agree with Frognot and Beto, I would tell the boss that the meat is on the old side, tell him upfront. Let him know you will open it up, check it out, but, that if there is any doubt, you will not cook it.

If I had a reputation as a cook, I would not risk it because some guy thinks that meat is good enough for his workers. To be honest, I would have told him no, I prefer to buy my own meat for what I cook.
Damn straight! I wouldn't risk my reputation with my co-workers. I'd hate to be known as the guy that gave em the chits at the company christmas lunch or worse, they could start comparing you to Shane! Oh the horror..............
Seriously though, let him know. Not work the health or reputation risk.

Git Smokin, Dan!

Unread 12-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #30
landarc

If I am gonna give my coworkers the chits, it is gonna be because of too much chile in the chili and not because the last thing they saw was my big furry butt in a lime green thong

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote