The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 12-10-2012, 12:54 PM   #16
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

WoW WoW WoW pretty much summed it up. Sterling showed the current BBQ promoters how it is done in his 1st event. There is no doubt there are more than 24 great teams out there. If you can only take 24, someone gets left out. DON'T HATE!!! Appreciate what he did for competition BBQ, be happy for the teams who participated, and the commend the amount of money raised for charity. This won't be the last comp Sterling does so burning a bridge based on jealousy may cost a team an entry into the next one.

Unread 12-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #17
Big Poppa
is one Smokin' Farker

Ryan you are very astute. I borrowed Santa's list...heheheh
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-10-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Definitely looked like a pretty sweet gig for all! . Congrats to Chris and his crew for taking GC, Munchin' Hogs for RGC, and all who got a call. Hats off to Sterling and the BPS crew for putting on a memorable event.
Cheers!
JD
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Sterling, thank you so very much for the invitation and hospitality! First class event, great venue (even though they didn’t bring in the snow, lol!!), great friends and all for an awesome cause! People are going to take their shots, can’t make everyone happy, it’s your contest….run it how you want. Don't know how you are going to top it, but I can't wait to see.......

I for one am VERY grateful for what you and the whole family at BPS did for us! I also need to thank IAB-30 for loaning us a cooker as well as Thom Emery for bringing in some gear for us. It was our first official comp out there, hopefully it won’t be the last………

Next time, the “Situation” is going down………..all of it!

Backwoods Competitor, 2x Big Poppa Smokers UDS, WSM, MC BBQ-60
Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, The Ingredients Store (FAB), Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team), BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ and Galvinells Meats
Big Ugly's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-10-2012, 01:31 PM   #20
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

I could write (and still might) pages on this comp, but sometimes simplicity is best, so here goes:

I told Chris (Big Ugly) on the way home that we would be talking about this comp for the next 20yrs. After sleeping on it, I'd like to correct that. I'll be talking about this one for the rest of my life. Extreme? Nah, it was just THAT good!

To Big Poppa (Sterling)

Extreme BBQ Trailer, Backwoods Competitor, Backwoods Party, WSM, Traegar 124, Yoder YS640
Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, Grizzly Coolers, The Ingredients Store (FAB), Yoder Smokers, Big Poppa Smokers (Elite Team), BBQ Bobís Havín a BBQ and Galvinells Meats
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #21
YellowSuge
Knows what a fatty is.

All I know is that I would have never had the opportunity to see half those teams compete in person if it wasn't for this contest. Thanks Sterling!

Unread 12-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #22
fesdwino
Found some matches.

$167,000 is an amazing amount of funds for charity! My hat is off to you. Well done Sterling and crew!

Unread 12-10-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
DawgPhan
is one Smokin' Farker

So I havent been keeping up, but how on earth did they raise that much money? ticket sales?
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
Big Poppa
is one Smokin' Farker

donations from patrons and supporters of the Casey Lee Ball Foundation. 25K came from the gate and merch sales.\...Includes a check slipped to e at the after awards dinner for 10K)

The KOS was the featured event for the Casey Lee Ball Foundation that is named after my son who was born with bad kidneys and had 8 operations before his 6th birthday. ( he is 24 and was one of the featured entertainers...classical guitar at the KOS) To date we have raised nearly 8 million dollars for pediatric kidney disease. The center and lab is named after Casey at UCLA and we have endowed the chair there...we also support research at Seattle Childrens Hospital
Texas Childrens Hospital and Cincinnati Childrens hospital. When I announced the KOS was benefiting the CLB people not involved in BBQ sent me additional donations.
Big Poppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #25
DawgPhan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
donations from patrons and supporters of the Casey Lee Ball Foundation. 25K came from the gate and merch sales.\...Includes a check slipped to e at the after awards dinner for 10K)

The KOS was the featured event for the Casey Lee Ball Foundation that is named after my son who was born with bad kidneys and had 8 operations before his 6th birthday. ( he is 24 and was one of the featured entertainers...classical guitar at the KOS) To date we have raised nearly 8 million dollars for pediatric kidney disease. The center and lab is named after Casey at UCLA and we have endowed the chair there...we also support research at Seattle Childrens Hospital
Texas Childrens Hospital and Cincinnati Childrens hospital. When I announced the KOS was benefiting the CLB people not involved in BBQ sent me additional donations.

Sounds like a great cause and great event. Raising money isnt easy at any time, but these days it is especially tough.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #26
Andrews
On the road to being a farker

For those that didn't make it out for whatever reason, you missed a top notch contest!
The venue, the teams and everything else Sterling and his team did was all first-class!

Hell, even the shirts were Haines not those cheasy make an easy-buck shirts!

Thanks, Sterling!!

Last edited by Andrews; 12-10-2012 at 04:40 PM..
Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #27
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrews View Post
For those that didn't make it out for whatever reason, you missed a top notch contest!
The venue, the teams and and everything else Sterling and his team did was all first-class!

Hell, even the shirts were Haines not those cheasy make an easy-buck shirts!

Thanks, Sterling!!
I would be one of those that didn't make it.

Next time this happens, I'm telling work, family, etc. I won't be available and I'm heading to Indio.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2012, 04:36 PM   #28
Rub
is One Chatty Farker

Sounds like an epic event to say the least. Congratulations to BPS and all of your efforts to make it so! Congrats to all who competed, all who had their name called, and all who donated. That's a huge amount of money for a great cause.
Sponsored by Yoder Smokers, BBQR's Delight, 3 Eyz,
Butcher BBQ, Big Poppa Smokers, Grizzly Coolers, Wicked Q
Gator Nation
Rub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #29
Fornia
On the road to being a farker

PHENOMENAL contribution to this charity! Without question, that IS the most important part. $167,000....makes my hair stand on end!

Got a chance to meet Sterling and a few others, all very welcoming and I'm just sorry I missed being there the day of the event.

Given what I saw and am hearing....I can only hope our team would someday be on that list to compete.....although we're a long way off from ever being in position to do so, but I respect that and make it a goal to work towards consideration.

Great job all....you did it for this great charity, the spectators, and all of BBQ!

PsychedelicSmokeBBQ.com Berks County, PA

Follow us on Twitter @PsychSmokeBBQ
'Like' us on Facebook!
Fornia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #30
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

Arrow King of the Smoker

24 or 100 there would have been teams left out. Those who were picked still had to agree to the rules which meant i.e. Tuffy Stone had to do a seminar afterwards which If I understood correctly was his first . Which I watched and would never guess Tuffy hadn't done one before. The judges had a dress code. The concept was different then any competition before. I have been able to befriend the Big Poppa Team, Sterling ,Jody and Brad from BBQ competitions and consider them all good friends that are welcome at our house anytime for substandard BBQ. I know that those of us that were there will talk about the First "King of the Smoker" and being at the First One.
I am bias about this topic to say the least. We all think about how a competition can be better and advance the way competition BBQ is perceived . Sterling didn't just flap his jaws, he did something to elevate these BBQ events to a new level and try and raise the standard for all.
Sterling and Jody just a few weeks ago became the first West Coast team to win the American Royal. In one weekend Big Poppa has created something so big we will have to remind people that He and Jody Clark are the current American Royal Grand Champions.
jimbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote