MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Default Otg weber handle is too hot

I'm used to my propane grills handle not being too hot. My weber grills handle is way hot. To the point I dont want to use it almost... any ideas on how to help besides wearing gloves

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Get a set of woodies from marty leach on here. They're the shizznit, much better when things get hot plus they look way cool. If/when I had the dough to swing some, it's what I'd do. http://www.amlwoodart.com/

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
mbshop
Babbling Farker

"weber" covers a lot. which one in particular ? are you talking plastic or wood ?
i prefer wood but on a really hot fire even they are to hot to handle.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Hell Fire Grill
Full Fledged Farker

Wrap it in foil.
Hell Fire Grill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
martyleach

That's kinda weird. I don't think I've ever had that problem. I know that Weber is shipping their large (26") OTG in the U.S. and both size OT Premium in Europe with a heat shield below the handle.

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
mbshop
Babbling Farker

my apologies. i didn't see the otg part. yes, plastic will get hot.
marty has a great answer for that. otherwise you need gloves, etc.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #7
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

FYI, I recently picked up a pair of leather grill gloves at Lowe's for about $11. I believe they were part of the Master Forge branding. I was skeptical of the quality given the price but they're working out great so far. They're thick enough I can use them to carry a fully heated cast iron skillet into the house without any other layers.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

On my 18" I use for steaks, I had the same problem. So I took an old wash rag and wrapped it around the handle. Two garbage bag ties did the trick to hold it on. Haven't had the issue since.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:20 AM   #9
zacman
On the road to being a farker

I leave a normal hot pad hanging on my weber tool rack at all times. Easy to grab without having to put on the gloves and solves the heat problem.
[FONT=Calibri][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116286"][COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Web Flamed UDS[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] , [/FONT]Bar B Chef offset modded, 22.5" Weber w/ [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Rotisserie[/FONT][/COLOR], SJS,
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2178456#post2178456"]SJG Baby Bullet[/URL], [COLOR="SeaGreen"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Medium BGE[/COLOR][/COLOR], 84' Broilmaster restored, Super Fast [COLOR=red]RE[/COLOR][COLOR=red]D[/COLOR] ThermaPen
A Wife who runs a Butcher Block :becky:
zacman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #10
Dr_KY

I think it's just one of those things you have to deal with sing high heat on that unit. As Marty said all webers here have ( minus the WSM) a heat shield now, it's not made of much being just a bit to metal to help deflect the heat and bolted under the handle.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
I think it's just one of those things you have to deal with sing high heat on that unit. As Marty said all webers here have ( minus the WSM) a heat shield now, it's not made of much being just a bit to metal to help deflect the heat and bolted under the handle.
Don't think all webers have a heat shield. Maybe the 26 inch unit does. I have not seen any of the smaller ones with a shield.

Considering the times I need to remove the hot grate and cast iron pans and foil pans full of meat, a glove or mitt is always with my performer right under the stainless table lid. Good use for the "worn out" hot pads my wife throws away.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #12
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just make somebody else lift the lid.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacman View Post
I leave a normal hot pad hanging on my weber tool rack at all times. Easy to grab without having to put on the gloves and solves the heat problem.
Exactly, just like you would anywhere you're cooking.

Old 12-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
aawa
Babbling Farker

I have practiced Kung Fu all my life, and part of my training was picking up hot cauldrons with my bare hands and arms. The hot handles on the webers have no effect on me.

But in all honesty I just have either my big set of tongs or a hot pad that I have chillin by the kettle.