The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 12-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
BeaglesBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Off smell, pungent

Recently i have been noticing a slight off smell coming from somewhere around my smoker when i was cooking. at first i thought it was the hickory i was using so switched to some other stuff and that seemed to fix the problem.

A few days ago i was cooking some tri tips and got her really hot and noticed the smell was worse, like burning plastic almost. i opened up my warming box and WHAM! got hit in the face with a really strong chemical/plastic burning oder.

I know it is not the wood now, i have tested several of my woods from apple all the way thru to hickory. It happens when i bring the cooker up past a certain temp.

I have an insulated firebox, is it possible the insulation is melting and the fumes are seeping out somewhere? i just can't figure it out. any thoughts?
It doesn't seem to be affecting the main cooking chamber too bad but id like to be able to use my warming box.

Before anyone asks, NO, i have not ever had plastic or cleaned with any chemicals in my cooker.

Unread 12-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are you cooking hotter by any chance? Is it possibly creosote melting and burning?

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
BeaglesBBQ

this was the first time i really got her this hot. id say she was at 400 or so. There isn't too much build up in the warmer cause all I've ever done is hold in there. almost as clean as new so i don't think its creosote. Maybe there is some paint that needs burned off?

Unread 12-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Garrett
is One Chatty Farker

I had the same smell one time coming from my offset. I was freaking out trying to figure what it was coming from. My first thought was that something was in my charcoal, I took all of it out spread it on the driveway. Nothing but hot burning coals. Started looking inside cooking chamber and under the piece metal that I have to make a reverse flow there was a melted flashlight. My son at the time 3 yrs old said thanks Daddy for finding my flashlight.

Unread 12-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
BeaglesBBQ

hahaaa good job super dad! ill take a closer look inside this evening. the only way something like that could have happened would be sabotage so hope thats not the case.

Unread 12-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
landarc

There is always the most irrigating process, you can completely clean and reaseason the cooker, this would allow you to inspect it closely.

It would not make sense for it to be insulation, as that normally requires a lot of heat to ignite. If you use lump, it is possible a random piece of garbage snuck into your firebox

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
There is always the most irrigating process, you can completely clean and reaseason the cooker, this would allow you to inspect it closely.

It would not make sense for it to be insulation, as that normally requires a lot of heat to ignite. If you use lump, it is possible a random piece of garbage snuck into your firebox
Using that Spell Check for Landscape Architects program again?

To the OP; I thinking there must be something foreign in either your smoker or the fuel source.

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 12-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
landarc

dang, business crept in again

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 12-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
deguerre

It's your syntax errors that really get to me though...
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

I've found all kinds of strange things in my charcoal, as others have reported also. I wouldn't think it would be insulation.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i was cooking on my weber kettle when all of a sudden it started to stink. i checked everything and couldn't find anything. so i finished my cook. the next day as i was cleaning the kettle, i found melted plastic on the underside. i guess a plastic bag had flown up and melted on the kettle when i wasn't looking.

Unread 12-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #12
BeaglesBBQ

i burn wood only. Start my fires with kindling from the wood of the day. I have a call into meadow creek. Might not hear back until tuesday, i guess more trial and error is on its way this weekend. I take pride in keeping my cooker clean but ill give it another good once over and see what i see.
thanks for the input guys