Real Jerk Chicken!

neuyawk

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Serious Eats has a great write up on jerk chicken in Jamaica. I live pretty close to the 4th most concentrated Jamaican population in the US but have never seen this. Largely because we don't have pimento wood. There's so many parallels with NC BBQ here

1. Wood burned to coals and chicken laid over greenwood
2. Vinegar and scotch bonnet pepper sauce (LOVE SB peppers)
3. Removed from bones and chopped.

20121202-jerk-grilling.JPG

20121205-sweetwood-jerk-joint.jpg

20121202-scotch-bonnet-sauce-edit.jpg

Ooh lawd...that looks really good. Waitin' to see what Phrasty posts!

That is a thing of beauty. I had jerk chicken at a rest stop in Jamaica outside of Ocho Rios, and I have yet to find anything that rivals that flavor in the US. :mrgreen:

The food looks Dy-no-mite GOOD :grin: but is that galvanized tin he's using as a lid? :shock:

One of my favorite all time dishes. I have to get to Jamaica soon. I love me some jerk chicken.

I've always wanted to make this stuff, especially after some episode of Chopped I saw. Man, that stuff looked good. What always held me off was the lack of the wood. I'm gonna give this allspice berries foil packet a go though, see how it all pans out.

Thanks for posting, both you guys!

I love jerk chicken as well. Wife and I had our honeymoon in Jamaica and definitely had our share of jerk pork and chicken.

One good product i have found that's a great marinade is the walkerswood products. They have them on amazon but i have recently found them locally at world market.

http://www.walkerswood.com/

Very authentic and tasty!

Kinda make you wonder who taught them N.C. Boys how to Q don't it????:roll::grin:

Just a fyi.....
http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=775

I guess the answer would be the Virginians as per much published research on the topic. NC seems to be oldest preservation of the practice though :mrgreen:

But to take your thought process a bit further, let's say some tea sipping colonialist back in ye olde whenever in Viriginia did learn the process thru either trade with the Caribbeans or slaves, it seems that many of these cultures practice a very pungent "rub" on their animals. That didn't really seem to get transferred over i.e the uses of all that spices. I'm wondering if it was simply a matter of accessibility to spices? Or did they like the smoking part but not the spice paste part.

I have been there a couple times and have had plenty jerk chicken and pork. They mainly use standard barrel pits over there and use some local lump charcoal. There is nothing in the wood they use that cannot be replaced with what we have. The sauce is the key. It is a very simple and delicious dish. My favorite dishes from Jamaica are beef patties and escoviche fish.

Man I've been out of it for a while, I've missed a bunch of threads... My friend actually runs that place and contrary to popular belief jerk isn't cooked on top of pimento when cooked like this... they use a wood called "sweetwood". But no, there's very little you can do at home to replicate the flavor that cooking jerk like this. This is Jerk in it's most modern/primal form.

Cheers

Back