MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

I would scrap the drum idea. We found a local place that would roll 1/4 inch (48 x 24) for $250 bucks including the steel. Save yourself the trouble of welding to those barrels.

Start by insulating the firebox. Just did one myself, it was a lot of work. 16 gauge, two inches of insulation, and 1/4 inch under it all.

After you are done with the firebox, then decide if you want to insulate the whole shebang.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 07:51 PM   #17
bfraze99
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Brandon

Thanks for the input so far... The best part about it is that i get lots if ideas... Experience is the best i could read about stuff all day... But i want to know what works... And that is what this website is about. Everyone sharing there experiences... I hope for more info as we get this thing rolling in a few weeks..... I will post pics and info as we go...
Thanks everyone...
bfraze99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
polishdon
Full Fledged Farker

I would also scrap the drum idea, look for an old tank or like hawg father said find somewhere to roll you a piece of steel.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #19
bfraze99
Knows what a fatty is.

Today I got a steel company to roll me some 1/4" plate 60" long x 30" diameter and cut the two ends to fit. I can make the rest from there. After some more research im going to do a the rolled plate steel. I am still thinking of insulation and a thin gage metal for a skin on the outside. I think i can get it done i have some ideas. Just going to construct the main body and fire box then figure out how to skin it. Im thinking of only 3 sides of the tube. Top,bottom, and end opposite of the fire box. because of the constant heat i do not think i need to insulate the fire box end. Once it is hot i dont think it will need alot of fuel to maintain temp with the insulation. If someone has any experience with a insulated firebox etc.. let me know your thoughts.

Of course this is still up in the air as to the final product but i did get my steel ordered for the main tube.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfraze99 View Post
Today I got a steel company to roll me some 1/4" plate 60" long x 30" diameter and cut the two ends to fit. I can make the rest from there. After some more research im going to do a the rolled plate steel. I am still thinking of insulation and a thin gage metal for a skin on the outside. I think i can get it done i have some ideas. Just going to construct the main body and fire box then figure out how to skin it. Im thinking of only 3 sides of the tube. Top,bottom, and end opposite of the fire box. because of the constant heat i do not think i need to insulate the fire box end. Once it is hot i dont think it will need alot of fuel to maintain temp with the insulation. If someone has any experience with a insulated firebox etc.. let me know your thoughts.

Of course this is still up in the air as to the final product but i did get my steel ordered for the main tube.
I think you are on the right track with the rolled steel. While still in the planning stage you may want to rethink not insulating the fire box and making it a reverse flow exhaust. You will lose a huge volume of heat out of the top of the fire box if not insulated and making it insulated will be much easier than the rest of the cooker. I used to lay a welding blanket or an old quilt over the cooking chamber, to help keep heat in it better especially on cold, rainy or windy times. Talk to some more people about it and go with what you think you will like but above all, have fun with it.
Dave

Old 12-03-2012, 09:22 PM   #21
bfraze99
Knows what a fatty is.

Well i have been planning a reverse flow the whole time... Insulated or not. So what your saying is insulate just the box itself and leave the tube alone.... Seem awhole lot simpler...

do you have one like this and is the tube stable? compaired to the box?

Old 12-04-2012, 10:35 AM   #22
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfraze99 View Post
Well i have been planning a reverse flow the whole time... Insulated or not. So what your saying is insulate just the box itself and leave the tube alone.... Seem awhole lot simpler...

do you have one like this and is the tube stable? compaired to the box?
Sorry to say I don't own one but have had several offsets in the past and observed others cooking on units with and without insulated fire boxes, the insulated just make more since. An un-insulated box has one advantage, you can keep things hot on top of it or even warm your wood but you will need to watch it because it can catch fire, that's how much heat you are losing through the top and sides of the box if not insulated.

One other thought, why not make the top of an insulated box with a lid that will fold back and expose a cooking grate. You can grill on, just not at the same time you are smoking, but buy its self or after a smoke to crisp up skin or do up some dogs and burgers, veges ect. Dang now I got to think about building one my self.
Dave

Old 12-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #23
bfraze99
Knows what a fatty is.

I think i will see if i can insulate the fire box... keep the heat going into the tube not out the top of the box.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #24
bfraze99
Knows what a fatty is.

So i was doing some more research and by going to a 1/2" plate fire box... Gator says that you will use 40% less fuel. Seems logical as the stability of the heat in the metal even in rain or snow will remain. 1/2" plate steel stays nice and warm i think rather than trying to insulate the fire box in going to make it thicker.

Thanks for all the input so far guys... as soon as my steel is here i will start posting some pics...