• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

brisket chili

hogzillas

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm thinking of experimenting on some brisket chili recipes for furture tailgates. It's just me so not a big crowd to feed so no reason to cook a whole packer or even a flat but would one of those "corned beef" briskets you find at Wally World/Publix that are only a pound or so (cut from the flat I assume) work in this case? My plan would be to smoke the meat until done then start making the chili part up. I know there's several of you judges that do the take home from the grazing table for this or Brunswick stew I'm just not that kind to take home from the grazing table due to distance to drive etc. Thoughts, opinions???

If you use one of the corned beef flats, you will have to do a few soak/rinses as they are pretty salty as they have been cured already.

I made a chuck steak/country style spare ribs (pork butt that is sliced up) chili on sunday. It turned out great. My roommate and some co workers loved it.

Corned beef is cured. Smoked corned beef is pastrami. I don't think it would make good chili myself, but who knows?

When I smoke whole packers, I usually just cut off the point and eat the flat. The next day after a sit in the fridge, I'll cube the point and try and trim most of the fat off of it. Then I just vacuum seal the cubed point meat and save it for chili.

Then, whenever I make up a pot of chili, I'll just grab the bag of smoked brisket point meat out of the freezer and throw it in the fridge while I start making the chili up. I always let my chili cook for at least 3 hours and throw in the brisket point at the very end just to warm through.

THIS WAY, my chili timeline isn't held hostage by having to worry about brisket.

The package said "Corned Beef Brisket" but didn't looked brined/cooked IIRC & seemed to have a seasoning packet in it, next time I'm in there I'll double check. So I'd be ok otherwise just that it would take less time to smoke? Failing that I probably could have a butcher I know of do a special cut of brisket for me but just thinking economics wise, it'd be cheaper to use the Wally World stuff than by butcher.

The corned beef brisket will cook up fine for chili, it is not the same a regular brisket for chili. I would use chuck steak instead of the corned beef brisket. You definitely want to soak it in clean water for at least 24 hours, changing the water every 8 hours or so.

In our grocery store they'll often have a few small parted flats. Ask, they might cut you off a hunk or have one.

I am a big fan of using chuck beef roast for chili and adding some brisky flat or point is always a good idea.

(Did exactly that about 20 minutes ago to help even out a pot of red made yesterday.)

Dude, I would totally just buy a flat, smoke until 165-170 internal then cut it up and crock pot the trash out of the chili. The meat stays tender and doesn't disintegrate and gets that smoky flavor all over the place.

Back