The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Smoker is Lit and Going.. Peep the Thin Blue Smoke coming out the stacks.. The Key is to Burn the sticks cleanly and not let them smolder...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Pic Grill.jpg (85.2 KB, 118 views)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #17
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Easiest way to acheive this is Be in control of your airflow! Make minor adjustments.. and don't over fuel.. you can always add more.. harder to pull burning wood or Charcoal out of a lit cooker!!
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2012, 12:22 PM   #18
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Honestly I think it all depends on what kind of wood you are using. I've found that a lot of fruit woods like cherry or apple cook with that super thin hazy blue smoke. I almost always cook with hickory or oak and both of those tend to be a bit more billowy blueish white. Keep in mind, as mentioned, all smoke should eventually show a slight tint of blue. Anything gray or yellowish for long periods is undesirable.

All in all though, if what you're doing works and tastes good then keep doing it! Don't get too caught up in trying to do everything "by the book" so to speak.

Unread 11-29-2012, 01:42 PM   #19
Just BS
Take a breath!

I seem to get periods of white billowy stuff followed by the thin blue smoke and then back again. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing right or wrong, but my que is good, so I don't stress over it....
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #20
Wesman61
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
I seem to get periods of white billowy stuff followed by the thin blue smoke and then back again. I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing right or wrong, but my que is good, so I don't stress over it....
Exactly! I used a pellet pooper for years and started using a stick burner this past summer. The most liberating thing is knowing that I don't need to stress if things aren't perfect or the temp spikes for a few minutes. I just enjoy what I've smoked and try to do better next time.
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2012, 07:16 PM   #21
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=nYpZ-rv8J4U
Here is a good short video
trufunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #22
Fiveflat
Got Wood.

Here's mine puffin' away at about 250 degrees.

Although sometimes when I add coal, or wood to the pile I do get that white stuff too...
And you can really tell my door leaks like a siv
Fiveflat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #23
Garrett
is One Chatty Farker

I have two of the offsets from lowes that I have modified to be reverse flows. For me to get the thin blue I have a small hot fire with charcoa andl use small chunks about half the size of fist or splits that are about 8 to 10 long and less than an inch thick.