The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #16
Bluehawg
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I never TURN the meat over but have turned the hot side from the heat source 180 degrees so that the cool side gets some time next to the heat. Makes for a better bark and even cook. Do that about 1.5-2hrs into the cook. After that, I don't touch it until she lets me know she is done.

Unread 11-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #17
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehawg View Post
I'm going to have to try this fat side down thing. I have NEVER cooked one like that and have always cooked with the fat cap on top. I cook with indirect heat about 300 +/- degrees and my thoughts behind fat cap on top was that as it cooks and the fat renders that it would baste the meat from the top down as it cooked. I've never tried one with the fat down. What is the reasoning behind it and does it change the way it cooks? I'm always looking to improve.
I do all my cooking on the uds. I go fat cap down as a barrier from the drums direct heat. :)