The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
ITT 250
Got Wood.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Flat question while in cook 5hrs in 185F? Help

so, I'm resisting every temp to tinker with it and just leave it alone. I refilled the smoker, with coals, 250F all day long. It looks good so far. Still no budda jiggle or slide ding in n out like butter.

1.Should I wrap it?

2.leave it alone ( I'd like a nice black bark)

3. Put it in a cooler?

4. Flip it?

It's only a flat, that's why I ask. I'm following the awesome tutorial that comes up when you search. This is my 2nd one. First time it was dry

Thx
ITT 250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Now, this is just my view: I'd have foiled it at 165 or so. The longer it sits at 185 internal at 250 cook temp the more it's going to dry out. However YMMV! Oh, a flat does not jiggle unless its maybe wagyu

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
ITT 250
Got Wood.

Thx to the tip. I re poked it and its at 160F I foiled it and warped in a blanket, stuck in cooler. Still have to weber going just in case

Unread 11-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

you need to put it back on now. 160 is when people wrap but they leave it on until 190-205 ish. You are not going to get a jiggly flat so dont wait for that.
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I neither cook flats nor foil, but if I were you I'd keep it wrapped in the foil and throw back on the heat until it probes tender.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITT 250 View Post
Thx to the tip. I re poked it and its at 160F I foiled it and warped in a blanket, stuck in cooler. Still have to weber going just in case
Pulled at 160? Afraid you'll be disappointed.
Needs longer time - somewhere between 185-205 will reveal tenderness.

Former smokers;
Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
ITT 250
Got Wood.

Will do. Thx guys! Man I love this forum, if only everything had this speedy service!

Unread 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

I think if your flat's internal temperature is 160F your need to keep it in the cooker(foil wrapped at this stage) until it's closer to 200F, when it should be tender, then rest it in the cooler.
I usually prep the cooler with hot water, dump the water, then wrap the foiled brisket ina towel I've pre-heated in the clothes dryer. Let it rest for an hour or 2 , at least.
You mentioned Weber - are you using a kettle or a WSM?
The last 2 briskets I did, I let them go to 205F. I had them cooking in a disposable foil pan so I could keep the juice and drizzle it over the sliced brisket when serving.
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your cook. It's nice to see another Torontonian on board.
Cheers,
Matt
smokainmuskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
ITT 250
Got Wood.

Wow. Awesome. I put it back in the cooker. I am using a weber kettles with a smokenator. Been 250 on the dome temp all day long, so about 240 grill. I put it back in the cooker. It was only off for about 2 min.

Unread 11-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
ITT 250
Got Wood.

Hey Muskoka, where can I get a whole pack brisket in T.O.?.? 8.2 million people in the Golden Horseshoe and I can find one.

Unread 11-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
smokainmuskoka
is one Smokin' Farker

I've heard from a friend in Vaughan that he gets them at Costco, but he may just be getting flats. I'm sure with all the BBQ restaurants starting up in TO, a decent butcher shop will either have packers of various weights, or can get them with a bit of notice. Try Kensingtom Market Or St Lawrence Market. There's someplace in Parkdale too, but the name escapes me.
I moved to Huntsville 10 years ago, but I still work in the city 4 days a week. I got my last 2 8lb briskets from a guy in Gravenhurst. I did both on my 22.5" kettle, and they turned out mighty fine.
Cheers,
Matt
smokainmuskoka is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
ITT 250
Got Wood.

Thx! I'm in aurora

Unread 11-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
captndan
is One Chatty Farker

^^^ Like Bandit said ^^^ I would also question the accuracy of the thermometer.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
ITT 250
Got Wood.

Well Here she is. im not doing flats anymore. I follow th recipes on here and there for whole packers. I tasted great, but was dry. Thankfully when i was in Dallas i got some Cousins Brisket sauce.

Pls Comment as i learn tons from you guys.

My thermo pen said 180 after 5hrs. I foiled it after the comments of just leaving it on. 165 after 2hrs in foil on the cooker. Total cook time 7hrs.

Smoke ring was awesome

Still tasted great, but dry. Oh well, theres always next time.

Unread 11-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #15
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Next time if you ever do another flat try adding some beef broth if you foil. Doesn't do much for the bark but in may help it from drying out.
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote