MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #16
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

SCHWEET!

Tell me more about this ham.....I have a big fresh ham I plan to cure and smoke for Christmas. Is there a specific recipe you used for yours?

Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #17
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
SCHWEET!

Tell me more about this ham.....I have a big fresh ham I plan to cure and smoke for Christmas. Is there a specific recipe you used for yours?
Yeah. I'll post it for you. It was amazing. I got it from the book "Charcuterie: The craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing" by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. Awesome book. That's where the bacon came from too. Everything I've done out of that book has been the best thing I've ever had. Highly recommend the book.

Here is the ham:

American Style Brown Sugar Glazed Holiday Ham

The Brine:

1 gallon water
1-1/2 cups Kosher Salt
2 Packed cups dark brown sugar
1-1/2 ounces of pink salt (Sodium Nitrite)
One 12-15lb with skin and Aitch Bone removed

The Glaze:

1-1/2 cups of dark brown sugar
3/4 cups dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of mince Garlic

Recipe:

Combine all the brine ingredients in a container large enough to hold the ham. Stir to dissolve all the salt and sugar.
Submerge ham in the brine. Weight it down if necessary to keep it fully submerged for 6-8 days (half a day per lb)
Remove ham and rinse thoroughly under cool water. pat dry and place on rack and refrigerate for 12-24 hours to dry.
Smoke the ham at 200 for 2 hours (I used apple and it was awesome)
Meanwhile, mix the brown sugar, Dijon, and garlic in a bowl until smooth. Brush the ham and reserve the remainder.
Continue to smoke the ham at 200 until it reaches internal temp of 155 (4-5 more hours for me)
remove the ham and brush with remaining glaze.
Refrigerate or eat warm right off the pit. We reheated ours and it was unreal. best ham I've ever had and all 20 people that had it agreed. It was destroyed in minutes.

Enjoy
centexsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-26-2012, 03:51 PM   #18
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Nice looking grub!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #19
dealm9
is one Smokin' Farker

Welcome! That all looks amazing. I would have just heated up leftovers of the breakfast instead of having the traditional turkey dinner

Old 11-26-2012, 10:47 PM   #20
Tonybel
Babbling Farker

Niiiiiiccceee!!!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:51 AM   #21
R2Egg2Q
is Blowin Smoke!

Nice work C-T S! Looks great & thx for sharing the recipe & book recommendation.

BGEs: XL, Large, Small, Mini, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, MAK 1-Star General, Karubecue C-60, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA, Summit S-620 NG; custom BGE & Weber handles by brethren martyleach

CLICK HERE to join us in a BBQ Brethren Throwdown!
R2Egg2Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #22
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by centexsmoker View Post
Yeah. I'll post it for you. It was amazing. I got it from the book "Charcuterie: The craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing" by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn. Awesome book. That's where the bacon came from too. Everything I've done out of that book has been the best thing I've ever had. Highly recommend the book.

Here is the ham:

American Style Brown Sugar Glazed Holiday Ham

The Brine:

1 gallon water
1-1/2 cups Kosher Salt
2 Packed cups dark brown sugar
1-1/2 ounces of pink salt (Sodium Nitrite)
One 12-15lb with skin and Aitch Bone removed

The Glaze:

1-1/2 cups of dark brown sugar
3/4 cups dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of mince Garlic

Recipe:

Combine all the brine ingredients in a container large enough to hold the ham. Stir to dissolve all the salt and sugar.
Submerge ham in the brine. Weight it down if necessary to keep it fully submerged for 6-8 days (half a day per lb)
Remove ham and rinse thoroughly under cool water. pat dry and place on rack and refrigerate for 12-24 hours to dry.
Smoke the ham at 200 for 2 hours (I used apple and it was awesome)
Meanwhile, mix the brown sugar, Dijon, and garlic in a bowl until smooth. Brush the ham and reserve the remainder.
Continue to smoke the ham at 200 until it reaches internal temp of 155 (4-5 more hours for me)
remove the ham and brush with remaining glaze.
Refrigerate or eat warm right off the pit. We reheated ours and it was unreal. best ham I've ever had and all 20 people that had it agreed. It was destroyed in minutes.

Enjoy

AWESOME.

I actually own that book & I knew there was a recipe in there for cured ham, but it's good to know it turned out for you.

I've got a whole green ham (both shank and butt portions) that I'll be curing.

Question: Where did you find pink salt? Did you have to order online?

Thanks again for posting this!

BY THE WAY.....
I'm assuming that since you're from TX and by your username that you may just work for Centex Homes? I used to work for Centex here in IN for several years. Just wonderin.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
gtr

^^^That book is amazing - everything I've made out of there rocks. I gotta try that ham recipe.

Seems to me home cured ham is better on a reheat rather than eating it right when it's done.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #24
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

Food looks awesome. I am ordering that book today. Home made bacon is the way to go. Having some for breakfast.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #25
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I figure they don't mind that I post their recipes on the forum when 10 people buy it every time i do :)

You can get pink salt on line but I buy mine at Academy. I think most stores carry it if you have one in your area.If not, just search for it online and it will pop right up

Old 11-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #26
buccaneer

Hmmmm there is something familiar about the honorific for wifey....can't quite place it...food looks so delish!

Old 11-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #27
centexsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
AWESOME.

I actually own that book & I knew there was a recipe in there for cured ham, but it's good to know it turned out for you.

I've got a whole green ham (both shank and butt portions) that I'll be curing.

Question: Where did you find pink salt? Did you have to order online?

Thanks again for posting this!

BY THE WAY.....
I'm assuming that since you're from TX and by your username that you may just work for Centex Homes? I used to work for Centex here in IN for several years. Just wonderin.
I live in Austin so that's where the name comes from (that, and a startling lack of creativity)