The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-15-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Good response. Well said.

Unread 11-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
Big_AL
Full Fledged Farker

I get a nice smoke ring and just the right of smoke flavor when I use three fist-sized chunks of Mojobricks. They produce a nice, clean, sweet smoke. I like to go with two cherry and one oak. Not my best pic but it's what I had handy.

DSCF5027.jpg

Unread 11-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #18
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

Try doing a search for some of my Mojobrick cooks, I've really put them to the test and documented them in a Bandera with Brisket & Butts, Sirloin Ball tip roast and rib cooks on the BGE, Chicken and Salmon on the Cajun Bandit, Pork collars in the Cookshack Smokette, Chicken on a UDS and Brisket on the Backwoods. I even smashed a few cubes and used them in the Little Chief Smokehouse for Maple cold smoked Cheese!
Cherry and Maple are the only varieties that I have sampled and I have been very happy with the results. I cut them into 1/3 or 1/6 depending on the cooker and meats.
The first time I used one it was in the Bandera, and I went in with the expectation that it would be a long burning source of heat, well, it was a source of heat allright and it definitely got the drafty Bandera firebox up n roaring!
I got the same results you encountered with your UDS. But I recovered and set the next whole brick off to the side and it smoldered away and I will say it was probably my best cook on the Bandera.
After that, Mojobricks are cut up and used exclusively for smoke.

I'm really glad Fred has packaged the "Qubes" for retail sales, I used them at the 2012 Evergreen Eggfest and handed some out to some dealers and I think they should be a no-brainer for Eggheads or casual grillers.

I love Mojobricks!

KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com

Last edited by swamprb; 11-16-2012 at 10:06 AM..
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #19
grossepellets
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just BS View Post
Interesting. Now I don't know if I should try again on the UDS or go to the stick burner...or if one brick is enough.
doing a cook for the first time with just about anything new will cause anyone to ask questions.
The first time I cooked with the Mojobricks I did it not knowing how to use charcoal let along wood. Unless you have about 10 bricks your not going to want to experiment with them in a stick burner. You can use one brick in a UDS but really you only need 1/4 of a brick to get good smoke flavor if you know how. It simply takes time - like anything else - to get the knack of using the bricks in charcoal. visit mojobricks.com tutorial to see lots of different ways to cook with Mojobricks for smoke flavor.