The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Who knows beef roast?

I've done several chucks and sirloin tips. I prefer the sirloin tip as they are much leaner. I usually smoke the roasts at 300 deg. till about 150 IT, then I place it in a pan with a can of beef broth, covered, and let it finish out at 205 IT. (Total cook time is about 3 hours)

My roasts are never "fall apart" tender.

This weekend, I ate my cousins sirloin tip roast. It was cooked in the oven, at 395 degrees, covered, with lipton onion soup mix, for 4-5 hours and it was FALL APART TENDER.

So, to get these results, should I smoke the roast for about an hour, then cover it and follow my cousins "high temp, covered, 5 hour" recipe? Has mine been tough because I'm not cooking it long enough?

Unread 11-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
buccaneer
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Weights please

Unread 11-15-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
MisterChrister
is One Chatty Farker

Your brother must be a magician because if I tried that time/temp on a sirloin tip roast, I'd have a beef flavored hockey puck!

Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
buffalotom
Full Fledged Farker

When I smoke roasts I bring them up to 200 then wrap them in foil and let it rest with a broth for an hour or more. Similar to brisket. I have had sirloin tips that fell apart and chucks that needed to be cooked longer. I try and rely on the tender probe. Temps do not seem as important anymore. The probe knows!
buffalotom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
code3rrt
is Blowin Smoke!

It would seem to me that your chuck roast for sure is probably undercooked, it takes a long cook to get all that tissue to break down to the "fall apart" tender you are looking for. As for the sirloin tip, I've never done one.

Unread 11-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Randbo
is one Smokin' Farker

My guess is you just pulled it to early. Sometimes my briskets are tender at 195 other times it is 210 before they probe tender.

Unread 11-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
Bludawg

Sirloin is best served rare to med not enough connective tissue and marbling ( to lean) IMO

Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #8
Chrispy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I know its not the same thing…. at my restaurant I use a top round for our roast beef, with the fat cap trimmed off. We cook ours in a cook-hold oven. I use 17 minutes per pound for a cook time, at 200 deg. After that, hold in the oven at 140 deg. for at least 4 hours. The oven is programmable so I in put these times and temps. When the roast is finished after the appropriate cook and hold times, it is around 135 deg. It is not fall apart tender… but this may help with your times and temps in the smoker.
For catering events I do at times slice our cold roast beef in to a full size restaurant pan shingle style, then partially cover with beef stock, cover the pan with film wrap and foil and reheat. This is almost fall apart tender at this point.
Good luck
Chris
Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
snyper77
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterChrister View Post
Your brother must be a magician because if I tried that time/temp on a sirloin tip roast, I'd have a beef flavored hockey puck!
So you don't think that high heat + covered + 4-5 hours will give a fall apart sirloin tip?

Unread 11-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
buccaneer

If you gave me weights I'd be able to give you times since most of my cooking is at 400-450f.
No, you cook at sirloin at that temp that long bro, and tender will not be the adjective you will be using.

Unread 11-15-2012, 11:42 PM   #11
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Actually, you can cook both sirloin and eye of round to falling apart tender and cook it that long. They do not need to be cooked only to rare. The same rules that apply to brisket or chuck, apply to any beef. Cook it long enough, the protein will break down and the meat will fall apart. I might argue that it is not the best way to cook sirloin, but, it can be done.

The key is that you do need to have some moisture in the pan, as this is what prevents it from completely drying out. And you must have a covered cooking vessel. The traditional roast done this way is also roasted with fruit, often prunes or stone fruit. I prefer red wine, butter and water to Liptons, but, to each their own. Smoke for 30 minutes, then place the roast in a covered casserole or braising pan, add aromatics, fruit and liquid, maybe 2 cups, then roast for three hours, at 425F. Then turn oven off, do not open door. Allow to cook for another 2 hours. It should be fork tender. Of course, meat varies, but, this works.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote