The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 11-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #31
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Pecan all the way.

Try mixing soaked mesquite and pecan chips to toss on coals for grilling steak or chicken. you'll love the smell and taste. very south texas.
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #32
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

I've only used pecan as chunks in the UDS or Backwoods, but never on the stickburner - I usually burn hickory in there. Pecan is awesome, and to echo what others have stated, I never thought of it as stronger that hickory. There's something about pecan and chicken that just works so well. I'd like to try a whole burn in the offset with pecan, but I don't think it's readily available around here - never really checked though - I guess I should.
50" Klose BYC, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Jumbo Old Smokey, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
Golden Goose Egg - Got 2 in the nest baby!
SPFP
Mayzie's keeping an eye out for you!
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #33
JazzyBadger
Babbling Farker

As I live and breathe with pecans all around me, and live in a hurricane magnet area, I am often well stocked with the stuff. It is amazing. I love it. It is by far my favorite smoking wood.

Unread 11-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #34
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

Chalk another vote up for well managed fires and pecan; it really does seem to be the "all around" champ for most meats.

I know there are numerous varieties of hickory (of which pecan is one) and it could be that some are stronger flavored than others, but I've never "over-smoked" anything when the fire is right, regardless of wood type. Would be interested in other Brother's opinions on various hickories.

I'm a sucker for pecan + cherry on briskets and other beef cuts, pecan + hickory/cherry/apple for most of my pork and poultry.
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #35
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Love pecan. I disagree with Aaron Franklin - and I'm old enough to be his daddy so I can - pecan is milder than hickory and won't blacken the meat up quite as much as hickory. However, YMMV!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote