The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 11-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #16
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I cant speak for all competitions but I can speak for The Keystone Classic BBQ competition in Harrisburg PA this year as I put the "goddie bags" together.

I pesonally like the goodie bags because it gives something to those who are new or dont do well something to go home with.

here is what I put in the bags and keep in mind the items were donated so there is no " put more money in the prize pool ".

Mojo Bricks
Purple Pork Masters sauce
Plowboys rub
Pork Barrel bbq rub
Dixie Meat rub
the new line of Stubbs bbq rubs
Tastey Licks BBQ pack
Fab
and some snacks (not sure who got those)

and an event pin (that cost a couple of $$ but not enough to raise the prize pool)

I have gotten some "coupon bags" as well but you cant tell me that that bag didnt rock and that you would atleast try everything in there. These guys stepped up and helped me put a really nice bag together.

**again thanks to everyone who sent me their products for in the bags.**

Unread 11-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

1. Do you really look forward to them?

Not really. We certainly dont compete to receive them. I'm more focused on the competition (and comradere) at hand.

2. What do you like to receive?

BBQ related things like rubs and sauces (not in tiny packets though), enough to actually use and try. T-shirts and aprons aren't bad. Most everything else I've either
given away to someone else or thrown in the garbage... One competition we received an electric fire starter. I'm sure some liked it; I gave it away at work... Even silly things that we could use, like HD Aluminum Foil, etc. would at least be used.

3. What don't you like to receive?

Pencils, pens, other such things.

4. What do you wish you'd receive?

Thermapens and flirty women.

5. Would you be disappointed in receiving less quantity in the bag?

Getting a bag is a pleasant surprise, but an unnecessary one IMHO. No, I wouldn't
be disappointed in receiving less stuff...

Unread 11-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #18
Slamdunkpro
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Gnome BBQ View Post
I cant speak for all competitions but I can speak for The Keystone Classic BBQ competition in Harrisburg PA this year as I put the "goddie bags" together.

I pesonally like the goodie bags because it gives something to those who are new or dont do well something to go home with.

here is what I put in the bags and keep in mind the items were donated so there is no " put more money in the prize pool ".

Mojo Bricks
Purple Pork Masters sauce
Plowboys rub
Pork Barrel bbq rub
Dixie Meat rub
the new line of Stubbs bbq rubs
Tastey Licks BBQ pack
Fab
and some snacks (not sure who got those)

and an event pin (that cost a couple of $$ but not enough to raise the prize pool)

I have gotten some "coupon bags" as well but you cant tell me that that bag didnt rock and that you would atleast try everything in there. These guys stepped up and helped me put a really nice bag together.

**again thanks to everyone who sent me their products for in the bags.**
And this is an example of a great goodie bag; most of the rubs & sauces were in enough quantity to actually use and evaluate, the mojo brick was something I've been wanting to try and the pin was cool!. (The pretzels were really stale though)

Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-14-2012, 10:37 AM   #19
Fat Freddy
Take a breath!

I have only done a few contests but here are my "newbie" thoughts. First contest I did we received a goodie bag and while I dont remember what was in it. We thought it was cool and exciting and made us feel appreciated. Did another contest that their goodie bag was a chair with their logo on it. Useful and still have it. At another contest the goodie bag was a hand towel and a bottle of water. But the prize pool was decent for a small contest. Did another contest No goodie bag but they furnished breakfast. And then at an unsanctioned contest I did the goodie bag was $25 in chamber bucks to be used at ANY chamber business. That included restaurants,convenience stores,amusement park, and bars.

Unread 11-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #20
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Goody bags are nice to get and any useful products are appreciated. I was at a competition this year that the organizer didn't have enough goody bags for all the teams, and I didn't get one (neither did the other teams located around me). They were also giving out shirts, and didn't have enough to go around. My only comment on goody bags (and shirts) is, if you are going to give them, make sure you as the organizer have enough for all the teams. I paid my $$ just like everyone else, and I am entitled to the free stuff just like the other teams.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #21
rksylves
Full Fledged Farker

I'm kind of Meh.. about swag bags. I've got several bottles of hand sanitizer and more coozies than I will EVER use. I have gotten some really good stuff especially at comps that are organized by active or former competitors. Got a first rate apron at Damon's.

Shirts are nice, but please either put a coupon in the bag so that I can go over to the shirt booth and pick my own size, or ask me the size on the applicatioon. Don't try to guess.

I also like the actual bag being one of those re-useable grocery bags. I use those every week.

A coupon for ??% off at a local restaraunt for my Thursday or Saturday night dinner would be really cool.

Russ

Unread 11-15-2012, 08:37 AM   #22
bruno994
On the road to being a farker

Done 5 comps this year, got one goodie bag. Contents: 2 pens from a local realtor, an area map and a flyswatter and coloring book (with pictures of pests (roaches, ants, mosquitoes)) from a local exterminating company! At least we had indoor plumbing and nice level asphalt.

Unread 11-15-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
CMALANGA
On the road to being a farker

Don't care about the gift bags. If we do get them it's nice get items we can actually use - paper towels, a full length apron, etc., and its nice when the bag itself is reusable. Sam's Club I thought gave out a great bag. Like I said though keep the bag especially if it means more porta johns, more prize money, better water or electric service, etc.
26" Weber Kettle
22.5" Weber Kettle
Large BGE
CMALANGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gift bags