Welding a Weber kettle ring to a barrel - HELP?

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I'm trying to rig my drum (which is just a tad larger diameter than my Weber kettle) so that I can use a kettle lid on the top and get more headroom to allow me to smoke turkeys and other large items on my top rack.

I've decided to cut a 2" section off the top of an old throwaway kettle (i.e. the lip and a couple of inches of vertical) and have a buddy weld it to the top of my drum. That way the kettle lid will sit right on the actual lip that it was made to fit. But when I describe it to him, he's worried that the barrel and kettle aren't heavy enough to take the weld and that they'll warp and curl.

I was certain that some of the Brethren on here have done this -- any help you can offer is appreciated!

Of course you know the porcelain coating will have to be ground off before welding. Then weld a short bead (1-2 inches) at different areas around the circumference to prevent overheating the metal which causes the warpage.
Your welder friend should also know to turn down the amperage of the welder to match the thickness of the metal.

Dont toss the bottom of the Kettle. You can use it as an ash basket. Just cut the legs off to 3", Buy a piece of 3/8 threaded rod and bow it and attach it to the kettle for easy removal then put a Smokey Joe coal grate in the bottom. Tried it on my last UDS and got a 12 hour burn out it. It works.

Last edited:
You really don't need to weld it. I just used Rutland gaskets from Ace Hardware. After you use it a few times it seals right in.

Gasket.jpg

Dont toss the bottom of the Kettle. You can use it as an ash basket. Just cut the legs off to 3", Buy a piece of 3/8 threaded rod and bow it and attach it to the kettle for easy removal then put a Smokey Joe coal grate in the bottom. Tried it on my last UDS and got a 12 hour burn out it. It works.

And place the firebox right in it? Does the firebox get enough air?

The way I fit a Weber kettle lid to my UDS is by cutting out all but about 1 inch (outside diameter) of a 55 gallon barrel flat lid that the Weber kettle lid sits on. Simple and removable.

Here is a pic of my 30 gallon open drum that had no lid.

IMG_4978.jpg

I cut the lip off a rustbucket 18" Weber Bar-B-Kettle and used some Permatex High Temp silicone to secure a length of Rutland gasket to the "flange" and my neighbor tack welded some beads around the perimeter.

IMG_4980.jpg

IMG_4975.jpg

IMG_4976.jpg

IMG_4977.jpg

IMG_5074.jpg

+ 1 on using pop rivets. I used an aluminum 2" flat bar held by the u-bolts for the rack to keep it clean. I then added 1/2" flat bar riveted to that for the Weber lid to fit just right. No welding. Good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_0256.jpg
    IMG_0256.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0248.jpg
    IMG_0248.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 325
I hope this doesn't sound wrong, but I feel like I read this same thread weekly, and while its great that you guys seem to make these things work, wouldn't it be easier and better to just start with the right size drum?

If you take a weber lid with you when drum shopping, look at the open top (or "ring top" drums) and flip them over, find one that the lid fits the bottom perfectly, it also makes it very simple to remove the bottom while building, and you can change the lid if it ever rots or to simply clean the drum out.
Don't forget to scrape off and throw away the rubber seal!

I hope this doesn't sound wrong, but I feel like I read this same thread weekly, and while its great that you guys seem to make these things work, wouldn't it be easier and better to just start with the right size drum?

If you take a weber lid with you when drum shopping, look at the open top (or "ring top" drums) and flip them over, find one that the lid fits the bottom perfectly, it also makes it very simple to remove the bottom while building, and you can change the lid if it ever rots or to simply clean the drum out.
Don't forget to scrape off and throw away the rubber seal!

That would be fine and dandy if there was one stop shopping for drums and barrels, but the fact is all drums are not created equal. And if you read these posts over and over, a lot of folks just do not know or are unable to locate them in their area.

Tricky asked a question regarding WELDING the flange onto his drum and he got a couple good tips and hopefully the pics of my 30 gallon drum sets him on a path.

If he had asked for information on pop riveting the lip to his drum, I likely would have passed this thread by.

...wouldn't it be easier and better to just start with the right size drum?

Yup, would have been easier. But I didn't know at the time I built my drum that one day I'd want to add a kettle lid. I was just getting started and I was excited enough that I found a drum. The idea to use the Weber kettle lid came later.

In fact, I think my kettle lid does fit the BOTTOM of my drum. But that seems like a lot more work at this point . . .

Thanks to everyone for their tips!

I went a different route, and in doing so, I did do some welding on the lid itself. It is thin metal and at least in my limited knowledge of welding and the the limit equipment I have, the metal did melt and pit. I had to take it very slowly and even with the low setting on my welder, it made for a long and interesting experience, but it did hold. Now my little stick welder only has two settings, high and low. So if he has better gear, I'm sure he could make it work if I can.
I've also welded on the drums in Low and you need to work fast and carefully, as it is also thin metal and you will burn a hole through the metal quickly.
I gave this drum away to a good friend a few months ago. A young kid that was my little brother's friend growing up. He's HOOOKED already.
I picked up an old Kettle off of CL the other day. I feel the need to make a new drum. Depending on how the lid fits or doesn't I just may go the route of using some flat steel like the other have done and make things easier for myself.

Don't know if the pics are still in this thread as I'm blocked from seeing em at work:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77856

Back