The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Unread 11-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #46
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

THANKS a lot.
woodpelletsmoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 11-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #47
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Second cook went very well and all the ribs are gone. My brother and a friend of his was over, they made quick work of ribs, I wasnt able to get a pic off before they got too it. I do have these though:

The Dog once again held temps very well and once again the were not in sync with the Maverick at all. At times the Maverick would read 320F while the Dog read 275 and at other times the Maverick would read 300 and the dog would be around 275. Now for me personally this is rather annoying and I have an idea to fix this issue. I plan on buying a Maverick replacement probe and jury rigging that to the Dog since its essentially undoing two screws on the back of the plug:

This should in theory make the probes identical and I shouldnt have this problem any more. I figure I can also play around with the PB setting until the Maverick probe is calibrated. I really want it to be in sync with my Maverick since its wireless and the Dog is not.

As you can see in the pic above I used a lime cut in half as a stand for Dog probe, it worked pretty well and does not throw temps off as I initially thought it would.

Notes to Wang: You should consider using a smaller probe similar to the one the Maverick uses. The majority of people use and trust this brand. If I didnt do the testing I think a lot of people would have thought the Dog probe was broken when in fact it is not. It is simply larger and will always read different at high temps since as you said it acts as a heat sink. I also think the Maverick style probes are more cost effective since they are smaller which will be beneficial to you. The other thing is not having a clip for the probe is really annoying, you should considering making a probe clip. Not having to buy extra little things really helps with the overall finished feeling of the product.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #48
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

In next shipment I will change probe.
Present probe is strong and sturdy and is much more expensive!
But due to its heavy mass, it takes 1 to 2 minutes to react.
Also I will send a free SS clip.
Unread 11-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #49
Mapleleaf
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Excellent effort on the manual..I'm just getting my smoker together and will be using it soon. I'll share my ideas.

I have the DOG now and it looks pretty good. I have yet to test it.

I will take a SS clip as well if they are available. Let me know the cost.
Mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #50
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default cost of SS clip is $0.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapleleaf View Post
Excellent effort on the manual..I'm just getting my smoker together and will be using it soon. I'll share my ideas.

I have the DOG now and it looks pretty good. I have yet to test it.

I will take a SS clip as well if they are available. Let me know the cost.
SAL mail cost shall be $5
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #51
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Oh I forgot to mention that I used the 'trick' that Wang mentioned when I opened the lid on my kettle. I found that waiting 5 minutes before turning the controller back on really helped to eliminate the temp spikes that I had on my first cook.

Initially I just covered the kettle and turned the dog back on but I noticed this wasnt the most ideal way to use this method. I suggest giving it a couple of minutes to build up some heat and allow the temp to settle before turning the Dog back on, I found 5 minutes was the perfect timing for me.

I will probably do one more cook with the Dog and the replacement Maverick probe. Once the final cook is complete I will publish my final review in the Q forum.

Last edited by Toronto; 11-13-2012 at 09:31 AM..
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #52
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Its come to my attention that you need to register to that file hosting site in order to download the manual. I have moved it to another site where registration is not required:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/1wzu...Dog_manual.pdf
Unread 11-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #53
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

So my replacement probe came in from ebay today and I wen to go cut the old probe only to find that it is a single wire. The temp probe on the Dog is 2 wires, I dont think I will be to jury rig this to the Dog after all.

Wang, is there a way to hook up this probe to the Dog even though it is a single wire?
Unread 11-24-2012, 08:53 AM   #54
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

DOG 's probe has THREE wires. The probe is PT100.
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #55
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

My probe is bigger and stronger. But it acts as heat sink too.
Its reaction is a little slower. 1 or 2 minutes delay does not effect your smoking if considering your total smoking time is 10+hours.
As the output of DOG is P.I.D. variable voltage, the controller is smart enough to consider this delay itsself.
But I do have thinner probe for fast reaction.
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #56
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Please find the new pit probe above, it is 2" length, about 1/3rd of original probe.

I made comparison between old thicker probe, this new short thinner probe, and a wireless thermometer. The thicker and longer probe reacts a few seconds slower than the short thinner probe. I placed three probes in warm water and ice water and took videos. Unfortunately I can not upload to Youtube as youtube is blocked by our lovely China government.
Mass of probe has less effect, but the position of probe is decisive factor.

"Maverick would read 320F while the Dog read 275 and at other times the Maverick would read 300 and the dog would be around 275"
please fasten the two probes together and try again.
and please calibrate DOG and your Maverick again.
It could be even better to try third thermometer at exactly the same place too.
Unread 11-26-2012, 03:02 AM   #57
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Video I, responding time of different probes http://my.ku6.com/watch?v=PyS2XVrZR3...n24-xQ..#share
Temperature difference is due to different place of probes, contacting walls of cup or not, touching bottom or side wall

Video II , three probes in ice and water, http://my.ku6.com/watch?v=jNZBX6XVP9...xL4NYQ..#share

Last edited by woodpelletsmoker; 11-26-2012 at 05:37 AM..
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #58
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

How much are the new smaller probes? I will probably wait until spring before I buy one, I dont BBQ during the winter.

As you can see in post #47 in the second picture, I have my Dog and Maverick probe right beside each other, they are not touching anything and they are both placed as far from the heat source as possible. The Maverick is held by its stand and the Dog is held in place by a lime cut in half.

My first cook the variance was just as bad but I wanted to reserve my judgement until I did some test. The ice water and boiling water test proved to me that the probes do read proper temps but for some reason they just wont sync with my Maverick.

The only conclusion that I could come to was that the larger probe held heat longer, especially at higher temps, it takes quite a while for it to cool down compared to the Maverick. If the temp difference was static between the two (i.e. always 25F off or always 50F off) then this wouldnt be much of an issue. The issue is that the variance can range from 1F to 50F at any given time, that margin of error is too large for me and I need a better solution.
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #59
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

smaller probe is $10.But I can send you a free for comparison purpose.
I made comparison again on gas stove, the old big probe and the new small probe on WOLF and wireless thermometer. Small probe responds faster than big probe. But this difference of responding speed can be ignored. It is nothing but 10 to 20 seconds.
Also I find probe position is very sensitive. When doing test, you must band two probes together.
One on left and the other on right, then exchange position. also put one on top the other, and then exchange position.

Last edited by woodpelletsmoker; 11-29-2012 at 01:37 AM..
Unread 11-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #60
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

“a lime cut in half. ”
pardon my poor English, what do you mean by lime.
Is it something like orange.
If yes, it must be WET, which can LOWER temperature of probe.
This must be the reason why DOG is always lower than Maverick.