The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 10-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
sunrise
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Best way to buy ribs ?

After years of buying my ribs at the best available price, and trimming them myself to a St Louis style cut. I have been wondering if all the meat I discard from the trimming is worth my time and what I pay per rack vs buying ribs already trimmed. Anyone have any experience in this area? Is it better to buy & trim, or buy already trimmed racks?
sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Uploads: 1

I'm not sure what you are discarding or why?

I use 100% of all my rib trimmings.
Some gets turned into rib meat carnitas, some gets ground for sausage, but it all gets used one way or the other.

I buy them untrimmed because most of the pre-trimed St. Louis cuts I have seen look like they were butchered by a blind butcher.

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #3
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use the trimmings, too, for ribs & kraut, "riblettes", simmer for pork broth, etc. Commercial "St. Louis" ribs are trimmed way to lean for my taste. I've used the ones from Chicago Meat a couple of times and they are OK and very easy to portion control but are really closely trimmed. I haven't had any experince with Curly's but have heard some good things.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
that's hot
On the road to being a farker

i use all of my trimmings too , and if nothing else,take the trimmings throw them on the smoker and chop them up and add them to the beans.

char griller & side firebox
weber 22.5 kettle
custom built brute
UDS
super fast Cheetah Thermapen
that's hot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Tack
Full Fledged Farker

I use all my trimmings also. nothing like fresh ground sausage. It does help to have a good grinder tho....

Unread 10-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Bbq Bubba

How many racks are you cooking?
If your doing a couple cases and can SELL the tips then your saving a few pennies.
I cook about 16 cases a week. Fark all that trimming!
St. louis the only way to go.
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 11-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
chad

Just an observation, but most of the rib joints around here are selling untrimmed spares. The more refined "restaurants" go Babyback or St. Louis, but the hard-core, stand in line for them to open places are not worrying about elegant cuts! The good places to remove the membrane!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote