The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Unread 10-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #31
Mapleleaf
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Looks good..keep the details and pics coming please.
Mapleleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 09:22 AM   #32
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Well the cook went relatively well but I think it could have used another hour or so of cooking. I threw her on at 12:30PM and she came off at 4:45PM, internal temp was 202F and I foiled and rested it for an hour.

First I want to mention this, for some reason the Dog thermometer and my Maverick were never in sync, im not sure which one was accurate but I chose the Maverick since it is wireless. I plan to do the water boil test to see which one is off.

With that said here is my review(forgot to take pix when I smelled the pork, sorry), the Dog held temps very well once it reached the targeted temperature. Not having a mounting clip for the probe was a bit of an issue, I used half of lime as a stand but that threw off the temp, I then laid it on the grill which also threw temps off, I finally stuck it in with the Maverick mount so that both probes made a cross.

As I already mentioned the temps were not in sync so how did I overcome this? Once I reached my desired temp 350F(according to the Maverick), I took note of the temp reading on the Dog and set my SC1 to that temp 371F. Temps fluctuated up and down by 5F but for the most part it held rock solid.

This unit does not recognize when you open the lid and registers it as a temp drop, the fan will blow at full speed until you replace the lid. This was an issue for me when I went to add more charcoal.

In conclusion, the Dog did what it was supposed to do according to the temps it displayed. My only issue is that the temps were not in sync with my Maverick but besides that im happy with it. Hopefully this temp issue can be solved by adjusting the PB setting on the unit.
Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #33
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

1.yes you can calibrate temperature by adjusting parameter of Pb.
2.The DOG can MEMORY. Before you open the cover of your smoker, simply turn off the power of DOG. When you turn on the power. the DOG will continue the program instead of starting over again.

I do not use auto-detection of cover opening because there is a delay of temperature dropping when opening cover. It is more reliable by turning off and on of power switch
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #34
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
2.The DOG can MEMORY. Before you open the cover of your smoker, simply turn off the power of DOG. When you turn on the power. the DOG will continue the program instead of starting over again.

I do not use auto-detection of cover opening because there is a delay of temperature dropping when opening cover. It is more reliable by turning off and on of power switch
You know, that's pretty clever.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2012, 04:09 PM   #35
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
The setting I have it on is 0000, what does it do when I increase this number?

Quote:
I will do this next cook.
Unread 10-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #36
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default calibrate by boiling water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
The setting I have it on is 0000, what does it do when I increase this number?
I will do this next cook.
boiling water is 100C,
Ice and water mix is 0C
by pressing "+" or "-" change value of Pb.
Unread 10-26-2012, 10:02 PM   #37
Mapleleaf

I'm interested in the temperature discrepancy..let me know what you find out.
Unread 10-27-2012, 03:18 AM   #38
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

operational manual at www.allchinas.com/probe/dog.htm
Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #39
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

So I had a chance to do the ice water + boiling water test and this is what I learned.

I did the test in Celsius since it was easier to remember 0C and 100C. Both the Maverick and the Dog came within 2-3C of each other for both ice water and boiling water. I stuck it in ice water then boiled then ice water and boiled again then ice watered a final time. It took about 1 minute for it to reach the correct temp. The difference came in how fast they registered the temp drops but it didnt seem to affect it as much when the temp rose. I noticed the Dog registered temp drops at a much slower rate but eventually all probes settled at the correct temp. I did not change the PB setting on the Dog for this test.

I think one or two more cooks with it and I should be able to write a conclusive final review.
Unread 10-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #40
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

DOG has a BIGGER probe.
The probe itself acts in some degree as heat sink.
If you consider your smoking time is HORUs, one or two minutes delay is neglectable
Unread 10-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #41
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
DOG has a BIGGER probe.
The probe itself acts in some degree as heat sink.
If you consider your smoking time is HORUs, one or two minutes delay is neglectable
That makes sense, the Dog probe is substantially thicker than both of my Maverick probes. This also some what explains why it registers temp drops slower, its larger and retains heat more readily.

I plan to do a cook with the Dog as the main temp instrument and my Mavericks as secondary, I will update when I do. Hopefully ill remember to take pix this time, heh.
Unread 11-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #42
Mapleleaf

Great stuff..I'll probably just leave PID parameters at default unitl I get to know it a bit better.

Just getting a "new to me" sidebox smoker up and going now to test.
Unread 11-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #43
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Well I finished the manual and have uploaded it here for anyone who wants it(let me know if it is not working):

http://www.4shared.com/file/y248veeB/Dog_manual.html

It is in DOCX format, or WORD, you will need Microsoft Office to open the file. Wang, feel free to use this if you want in your dog packages. If anyone wants to add on to the manual or see corrections let me know.

Cook #2 Baby back ribs:

Doing two slabs tomorrow as the weather is going to be nice. Gonna use the Dog as the main temp instrument and see what happens. Running them at 275F and doing the 3-2-1 method with modified timing. I want to spray them this time with apple juice through the top vents on my kettle. Will also try to remember to take some pix this time.
Unread 11-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #44
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto View Post
Well I finished the manual and have uploaded it here for anyone who wants it(let me know if it is not working):

http://www.4shared.com/file/y248veeB/Dog_manual.html

It is in DOCX format, or WORD, you will need Microsoft Office to open the file. Wang, feel free to use this if you want in your dog packages. If anyone wants to add on to the manual or see corrections let me know.

Cook #2 Baby back ribs:

Doing two slabs tomorrow as the weather is going to be nice. Gonna use the Dog as the main temp instrument and see what happens. Running them at 275F and doing the 3-2-1 method with modified timing. I want to spray them this time with apple juice through the top vents on my kettle. Will also try to remember to take some pix this time.
But our lovely China government blocks that server and I can not view it.
Could you please send to my mail box eBay@allchinas.com
Unread 11-10-2012, 07:55 PM   #45
Toronto
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
But our lovely China government blocks that server and I can not view it.
Could you please send to my mail box eBay@allchinas.com
Just sent it to you, please disregard my first email and use the second one.

I also converted it from a Word file to a PDF for everyone else since PDF readers are free:

http://www.4shared.com/office/gT3phX..._manual_2.html

Last edited by Toronto; 11-10-2012 at 09:20 PM..