turn in box insulated bag????

jeremy0510

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Where can i order an insulated bag for turn in boxes? See alot of guys using them.

Mrs Kapn and I got stuck without an insulated carrier at a cold, cold contest a few years back.
She took a medium sized towel, put it in a disposable pan, and into the cooker for about 20-30 minutes or so.
Wrapped the turnin box in the towel and carried the whole thing to the judges.
Worked wondermus :grin:

Never did get around to buying a commercial one.

TIM

Go to your local grocery store and buy a $3 thermal bag. I have one from Publix and it's great.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Google insulated casserole bag or search it on ebay. They are less than $20...

I have never been brave enough to use one. I am too afraid I will drop the box fiddling with getting it out of the carrier. I prefer to focus on putting a hot product inside the box and getting it to the turn in table as quickly and safely as possible. To me, the loss of a degree or two is not worth the risk of upsetting the whole box. But then again, I am pretty clumsy, so to each his own. (I also compete in mostly warm temps and dry weather so that might come into play as well.)

$11 and it's 9x9.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Rachael-Ray-Stow-A-Way-Collapsible-Carrier/dp/B006KCYWO2/ref=pd_sim_k_2"]Rachael Ray 9x9-in. Square Stow-A-Way Collapsible Carrier,Red: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Yea, I know. Rachael Ray. It's the right size and cheap though...

Picked one up from Ingle's last night for $1.99. Well, it was supposed to be $1.99, but the young man just threw it on top of the checked-out items and didn't charge me for it. :confused:

My wife was asking about making a turn-in bag. Does anyone (or your wife) have a design/pattern for a homemade turn-in bag?

N

My wife was asking about making a turn-in bag. Does anyone (or your wife) have a design/pattern for a homemade turn-in bag?

N

Yes my wife sews and is looking for a pattern for our comp team as well.

I did a quick Google search, but came up empty handed.

a quick tip for those of you with velcro closures on your bag. Take some tape and place it on the "loop" portion of the velcro strip. just leave a little exposed...this way you dont have to pull so much on the velcro to open the bag. also, dont trust the top handle. hold it from the bottom.

I just take it like it is, dont wrap it in anything. When we judge contests, the ONLY meat that is ever warm when it gets to you mouth is a chicken thigh. The judging process beforehand kills most of the warmth.

You place your box on a bread tray at turn in.... it sits until 6 are on the tray. The tray moves from turn in table to a number changing table. After numbers are changed. It moves to table captains table, where they check the numbers to ensure they do not have a duplicate number going to their table (maybe 5 min elapsed)? Then carried to their judging table, box numbers read off to judges, (1 min) First box opened and shown to each judge for presentation, each judge has the box in front until they give a nod. then box is closed and placed back on tray. Repeat with other 5 boxes. (2 min) Now back to first box, opened and passed around by all 6 judges. Each judge takes a sample and lays it on cold cardboard. it sits in open until all 6 samples are on table. (2 min) Now judge tastes sample 1, while the other 5 sits in open on cardboard. getting cold.. Luck of the draw you hope your sample one and not 6. Chicken stays warmest, brisket is always cold.
Test for yourself, and can actually help you. Next time you do a slab of ribs at home. Put a bone on a piece of cardstock and wait 3-4 minutes. taste it, thats what judges get.
Best to Ya!

I had these made up . Works great

BBQStuff048.jpg

BBQStuff043.jpg

Has velcro tabs so nothing moves around . Fits a 9x9 perfectly

Jules

Back