MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
shakeandbake72
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Need advice Can Cooker

I have been reading reviews online of the Can Cooker for a couple of months now and I can't decide if I want to spend the money on it or not. Have any of you used one? It seems like a great idea and I would like the ability to make quantities of stew while I am busy with other tasks. After reading some of the companies recipes it seems like the cooking time is very short and that concerns me.

If any of you have any experience with these or have had any of the food cooked on them I would appreciate your reviews.
shakeandbake72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Which one are you looking at? They make a few different models. http://cancooker.com/
Looks like they are all sealed cookers so they'll speed things along a lot like the Caja China. You'll run into the "no smoke" argument around here right off the bat.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
shakeandbake72
Knows what a fatty is.

It would probably be the bone collector version just because that is what I can get the best deal on.

I know it doesn't use smoke, but around here brunswick stew goes awful good with BBQ.

The can cooker seems like it could be useful for making side dishes such as beans and corn but I don't want to sacrafice taste for convenience.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
chad

I remember looking at one on my last trip to, I think, Bass Pro Shop, and thought it looked like it was pretty well made. Since the flavors for your Brunswick stew comes from the meat and seasoning (as well as the cigar ash that's obligatory on a hunting trip!) you'd probably find this cooker would get the job done. I can see using it for some braised venison or other game, too.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #5
caseydog

It basically looks like a pressure cooker, to me. It should be great for making a stew in a lot less time than a regular pot.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Might be good for chili?

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Grain Belt
is one Smokin' Farker

When I was a kid my dad would cook with what we call milk or cream cans. The old cans that creameries used to use. Now "crafters" paint flowers on them and put them by flower beds. Dad had a rack welded for him so he could build a little hardwood fire under the can. Then he would take the silk off of about 2 dozen ears of corn but leave on the husks. Then he would wash up 10 lbs. of potatoes and throw them on top of the corn. Next he would put processed sausages like kilbassa or polishes and maybe a processed ham. Finally he would add a cored head of cabbage or two. He would put a quart of water in it and tap down the lid and wire it down. Once steam started out of the can while it was on the fire he would cook it for 45 minutes. He would add to the fire just to keep a nice puff of steam going during the cook. At the end he would set out a bunch of sheet pans on a picnic table and take out the food with tongs and let it cool for a few minutes. It would feed at least 15 people. It was a lot of fun, easy, and a bit of a show for the crowd.
Grain Belt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
shakeandbake72
Knows what a fatty is.

Grain Belt according to the company's website the old cream cans were what provided the idea for this cooker. It even has a recipe for making a couple dozen ears of corn on the website.

The meal your Dad made sounds great.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
shakeandbake72
Knows what a fatty is.

Chad, I coldn't find one at our nearest bass pro shops, but I have been looking at it in my latest cabela's catalog.

caseydog, it looks like a pressure cooker to me to. I don't have any experience with pressure cookers with the exception of a pressure canner my mom used to use a long time ago. I think I am going to pull the trigger and pick it up. Hopefully it will make some good hearty winter time eats fast.

El Ropo, chilli was one of my first thoughts with it. We don't have too many BBQ contests here now, but there are several chilli cooking contests. I throw big cookouts on a regular basis and I think that chilli goes great as a side dish.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #10
mbshop
Babbling Farker

hate to say but it kinda confuses me. i kinda see what its about but just not sure how it would fit in any particulare situation. owners manual and site are not that helpfull.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #11
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
It basically looks like a pressure cooker, to me. It should be great for making a stew in a lot less time than a regular pot.

CD
It has a vented lid though, so it cannot build up much pressure ??
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #12
jestridge

We use to have garbage can cooks. It would steam the food
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #13
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

I've had a few meals from a Can Cooker, and from Cream Cans of years past. They do make some pretty good food but I think it's mostly just a novelty, but I can say you can't duplicate the flavor by other means. At least I haven't been able to... Cheers!!!

Old 10-11-2012, 11:22 AM   #14
willbird
Full Fledged Farker

I saw a sweet corn cooker a guy had, stainless beer keg with a layer of bricks in the bottom, the ones with holes in them, just cover the bricks with water, and lay the corn in there with the points to the middle, going around in a spiral circle, apply heat to the bottom with a turkey fryer burner (not on full blast) put lid on, corn gets steamed to perfection.
willbird is offline   Reply With Quote