The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 10-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #31
skullbone smoker
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

According to a local BGE distributor, BGE recommends 3M Super 77 spray contact adhesive to attach furnace tape (gasket) to seal the lid on their products. Tried it on my Oklahoma Joe offset, and it does a pretty good job; however, I think using hi-temp silicone sealer is a better choice. Good luck with your build. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.
skullbone smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2012, 12:54 AM   #32
dupemaster
On the road to being a farker

She's air tight! After gluing the furnace rope down with some RTV I stopped by harbor freight and picked up a couple toggle clamps. Locks up tight as a drum.

I also put a bead of RTV on the fire box door. The only way air is getting in or out of this thing is through the valve or exhaust pipe!
dupemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #33
dupemaster
On the road to being a farker

A successful first burn! I filled the coal basket up about 2/3 of the way and hit it with the torch. I brought the internal temp up to 325 (took about an hour to get there) then closed the air intake to about 1/3 open. I checked it an hour later and it was at 235, where it stayed for the next two hours (I only checked every hour) before it started falling. By this time I was down to 1/3 of the fuel left in the fire box. The third time I checked it, an hour later, it was down to 200 but the coal was all but gone.

Good news is that it seems to be air tight. The bad news is that it will be going through fuel fast.

While it was burning/seasoning I took the time to build the grills.

Now its time to paint, but I'll probably cook in it a few times.
dupemaster is offline   Reply With Quote