MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Default BBQ benevolence day

Had plans today to make some Brunswick stew for the family. Well I woke up at 6am with an urge to smoke some 'que too. Decided to put an open invitation out on Facebook that I would be firing my pit up and anyone that wanted some bbq was free to drop their meat off and I'd cook it for them, no charge. I got a couple of takers and figured I'd post some pron for you guys to see. I haven't been active on the forum for a few years, life is slowing down and I'm 'que'n more and more, so hopefully we'll see more of each other.

Base for the stew simmering: Chopped potatoes, chopped onion, and corn all in chicken broth

Once after about 20 minutes stir in the spices (w sauce, hotsauce, pepper, garlic, butta)

Add tomatoes, butter beans, chicken and a few other things, cook down and the end product looks like this:

Now on to the meat. I am cooking a small pork loin for a friend, a Boston Butt for my mom, and one for myself as well:

Bought the Butts at a different store and got a lot better pork than I'm used to.

Pork Loin

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #2
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Pit rolling along at 225, using Hickory and a little KB

The butts are starting to weep,

After a few hours I have the temp cranked up to 275 where the loin is and around 250 at the end with the butts on.

Hope your saturday's rocking along!

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

Where did you get the meat? I'm in Chelsea, AL.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Belle Foods in the pelham/alabaster area on HWY 31. Found out today that their butts will go on .99lb sale this wednesday.

Oh and Roll Tide!

Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

Food is looking good and thanks for the heads up. Roll Tide!

Old 10-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Better check that loin, if it's been in there for a couple hours, it's probably done. 140 for lean pork.

Looks great BTW.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #7
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

I like my loins at 150, but these folks requested it even more done, took it off at 160 on the dot. Heard back from them just a while ago and they said they loved it, so it all ends well.

The butts are about to break through the plateau, they have great color right now, debating finishing them off in the oven to preserve the awesome color. (didn't show up that well in the pictures)

Here are some progress pics for you fellas.

Old 10-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
OutlawSwine
is one Smokin' Farker

Lookin good my man!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Well one of the butts is done, the other is finishing up in the oven.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #10
El Ropo

Name/Nickname : Roger

Quote:
I like my loins at 150, but these folks requested it even more done, took it off at 160 on the dot. Heard back from them just a while ago and they said they loved it, so it all ends well.
It probably helped that the loin was enhanced with 16% solution. But remember they keep cooking after you take them off, that's why I said 140, after the rest they'll be in mid to upper 140s, maybe over 150 if wrapped in foil. A lot of people don't know that the new safe temp for pork is 145, not 160 like the old days.

The butts look fantastic, I'll take a vac bag full please!

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
MisterChrister

That's some DANG sexy pig!