The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 10-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
krshome
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default keep pulled pork moist

Hi all, I'm not a caterer but I am having a big party and doing the meat. The question I have is how does everyone keep pulled pork moist while in a warming tray? Thanks for the tips, help and any recipes.
krshome is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Apple juice. Plenty of apple juice is what I use.
If I'm pulling pork ahead of time with the intent of chilling it and reheating, I'll douse it with GOOD amount of AJ before putting it in the fridge. Then as it reheats (covered) the AJ keeps the meat hydrated. If held in a chaffing dish, crock pot or roaster, same thing. Just put AJ in the meat and stir it often to prevent drying it out. Check often and if it's looking dry, just add more AJ and stir.

Works for me at least and noone knows any different.
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

^ I do exactly as Wampus does but be sure to add a little at a time otherwise you can end up with soggy pork. I also sprinkle a little extra rub in before I add the AJ so the juice doesn't mask the flavor of the pork.

Unread 10-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
chad

Since I foil I have plenty of juice available to add back into the pulled meat. If necessary I, too, will add apple juice. For the juice, just strain out the big chunks of fat, etc. After all, you have all the rub and spice you cooked on the pork and it's in the juice now!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-04-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB-BBQ View Post
^ I do exactly as Wampus does but be sure to add a little at a time otherwise you can end up with soggy pork. I also sprinkle a little extra rub in before I add the AJ so the juice doesn't mask the flavor of the pork.
Yeah I sprinkle with rub as well.

Thing is.....many times I cook several butts at a time and pull the meat planning on vacuum sealing it the next day. I'll pull the meat and put it into pans, sprinkle with rub and then pour AJ over the whole pan, cover it and put it in the fridge. The next day, when I pull the pan out, there's vitrually NO moisture in the pan. The meat sort of soaks it up. I also think a good layer of moisture in the bottom of the roaster or holding pan will keep the bottom layer from burning. Water will do the same, but AJ just has more flavor and compliments the pork.
Large BGE (chambersuac's)
Onyx Oven
The Fiery Furnace (chambersuac's)
Big JT's Smokin' BBQ Competition Team
Wampus is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 10-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Big_Alvin
Full Fledged Farker

i use the AJ as well after reading about it on this forum and it works very well. i like the idea to add a bit more rub - will try that next time.

Unread 10-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #7
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 3

Fyi. I got a cook book that recommends 3 part AJ + 1 part cider vinegar, plus a dash of salt and pepper for reheating. It's from Gary Wivott's. Low and Slow cook book.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote