The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 10-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
RonsterQ
Found some matches.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default First contest coming later this month

and need to talk glaze...recipes and taste and tenderness are good but the glaze kills me! Don't need it at home but need it for the box....anything to give some shine with no added flavor except butter? ...thanks
RonsterQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #2
Hub
Full Fledged Farker

Making your sauce "wetter" is the most common way to achieve the glazed look. This can be done with lots of stuff -- honey, water, vinegar, evoo, etc., etc., -- but you want to be careful about any flavor change.

The two most common methods to achieve glazed appearance are (1) a fine mist of warm water sprayed over the bits in the box, and/or (2) for chicken and ribs, dipping the pieces in warmed sauce.

Warning: There is no KCBS requirement that the meat have a glazed appearance. This is just a trend that has sprung up, particularly on chicken.

Hub
NOS American Made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
Author of [I][FONT=Times New Roman]Burn It In The Back Yard[/FONT][/I]
Grillin' and Smokin' like crazy for over 40 years :whoo:
[COLOR=red][I]There's No Smoke Alarm In My Outdoor Kitchen![/I][/COLOR]
Hub is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #3
Ackman
Full Fledged Farker

Forgot my glaze on the pork butt last weekend and got my best scores

WSM 18"
CookShack SM025
Lang 36
BWS Extended Party
Humphrey's Battle Box
Ackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-03-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
RonsterQ
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hub View Post
Making your sauce "wetter" is the most common way to achieve the glazed look. This can be done with lots of stuff -- honey, water, vinegar, evoo, etc., etc., -- but you want to be careful about any flavor change.

The two most common methods to achieve glazed appearance are (1) a fine mist of warm water sprayed over the bits in the box, and/or (2) for chicken and ribs, dipping the pieces in warmed sauce.

Warning: There is no KCBS requirement that the meat have a glazed appearance. This is just a trend that has sprung up, particularly on chicken.

Hub
I know it's not a requirement but seems all I've seen is shiny stuff...and correct don't want it to change the taste....I refuse to sauce it...oh well it's gonna be a good experience either way...and it's on my 50th B-Day...uh-oh

Unread 10-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
RonsterQ
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackman View Post
Forgot my glaze on the pork butt last weekend and got my best scores
I believe that...just thinking for chicken and maybe ribs

Unread 10-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #6
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonsterQ View Post
I know it's not a requirement but seems all I've seen is shiny stuff...and correct don't want it to change the taste....I refuse to sauce it...oh well it's gonna be a good experience either way...and it's on my 50th B-Day...uh-oh
happy birthday and good luck!

i would strongly suggest you not "refuse" to do anything in competition.

it's not about your principles on cooking, but getting good scores from the judges. whatever that takes.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->