ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 09-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #1
CustomBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Affordable wood?

Hey people, hope everyone is doing well. I was wondering where I can purchase wood for a reasonable price. I've been buying smaller bags of chips and chunks from Lowes and Benny's etc, but I'd like to buy more so I can stock up a bit. Does anyone have suggestions? I also have access to a chainsaw if there is some way for me to get my hands on a large piece of wood. Any info on this is greatly appreciated.

Peace
CustomBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

I just cut my own. You could talk to some tree trimmers in your area. I'm sure anybody who sells firewood would have some good oak and maybe hickory that they would sell you by the truckload for a hundred bucks or so-sure would beat paying $8 for a bag with a handful of little wood chunks in it.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
columbia1
Full Fledged Farker

You can also check your local wood mills, around here 90% of the alder is chipped for paper or hog fuel, very easy to get all you want(within reason) just by asking.
Custom 72" reverse flow smoker, 18" WSM, Weber Elite, ECB.
Tombstone BBQ on Facebook
columbia1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Check with the arborist (tree trimmers). I've had nicely trimmed pieces and mulch put right in my front yard just by asking when they were working on my neighbor's trees. Also, keep an eye on the curb - I've gotten nice sized pieces from the church when tree there were trimmed and often, if your neighbors trim up you can get wood right in the area.
I have a stickburner so larger pieces have been my scores..but it you are using a smaller cooker with chunks or chips you can really do well with trimmed limbs and cut them into chunks with a chop saw.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair
KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker, WSM, Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill, Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill, slightly used Bandera chamber for future use as a cold smoker, Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Nick's BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I have seen ads on craigslist and similar local sites for wood. I got lucky and found a few old apple and peach trees that needed to be cut down.
Nick's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
HickoryJ
Knows what a fatty is.

try craigslist. thats where i scored my cherry. truck load for $75. i just searched CL for split hardwood and there it was. that was even delivered and stacked!

Unread 09-27-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
gettinbasted
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HickoryJ View Post
try craigslist. thats where i scored my cherry. truck load for $75. i just searched CL for split hardwood and there it was. that was even delivered and stacked!
+1 for craigslist
gettinbasted is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Wampus

I live near an apple orchard that I get free apple wood from. They trim every winter and whenever there's storm damage, they also have a lot of wood to go through. If you have any orchards near you, check with them.

OR......you could go HERE. They have a great "ship to store" option so you don't have to pay shipping, but just go to your nearest store and pick it up.

"The path was worn and slippery. My foot slipped from underneath me, knocking the other out of the way, but I recovered and said to myself, 'It's a slip and not a fall.'"
-Abraham Lincoln
Wampus is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
yakdung
is one Smokin' Farker

Having access to a bandsaw will do wonders. It will allow you to cut into bite sized chunks.
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
CustomBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Man, this forum is great, haha. Thanks so much for everyones input! Wampus, one of those stores is about 16 miles from me, not too bad if I want to go that route. Good to know.

I do have at least 4 or 5 apple orchards around me, I'll have to get on the phone real soon, haha. I'd love to get some more apple wood.

Peace

Unread 09-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
PlanB-BBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I just follow a local logger. He'll drag out a hickory for me to cut for all the BBQ he can eat!
PlanB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #12
CustomBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Hey, I have another question for you guys. If I am able to get some freshly cut wood, is there a way to expedite the drying process? Also, if you just wait for it to dry, how long does that typically take? Let's say that it's cut into chunks already. Thanks in advance.

Peace

Unread 09-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #13
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

There are a few neighborhoods I drive through after a storm hits. I just pick up the branches that come down. Usually people even have it trimmed up and on the side of the road with the recycling. It's the only good thing about a nor'easter.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #14
caseydog

Downloads: 1

Don't forget your own yard. I have a big live oak that I prune every January, to keep it ready for ice storms and severe thunderstorms. I use a chop saw to make wood chunks for the WSM.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-30-2012, 08:40 PM   #15
cliffcarter
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CustomBBQ View Post
Hey, I have another question for you guys. If I am able to get some freshly cut wood, is there a way to expedite the drying process? Also, if you just wait for it to dry, how long does that typically take? Let's say that it's cut into chunks already. Thanks in advance.

Peace
if you cut the wood into 2" thick by 2" wide by 3" tall pieces it will be ready to use in 4 weeks, by my experience. If you need splits for an offset it will take any where from 8 months to 3 years depending on the species.
cliffcarter is offline   Reply With Quote