The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.


Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.


Reply
Thread Tools
Unread 09-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
vexter1
On the road to being a farker
 
vexter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-07
Location: St. Louis, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Vending Rub

I was curious of what other people are doing as far as rubs go on their meats when vending?

I'm currently using a commercial product for pork butts - an 8lb container is running me ~$64 shipped. I like the rub a lot and doctor it up a little when putting it on butts when they go on the smoker. But it is a little steep as far as cost.

I was curious what other rubs I might look at or if you guys are just making up large batches of your own rub and using that when you vend or cater.

Thanks guys!
vexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #2
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker
 
hamiltont's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-24-10
Location: Kearney, NE
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I don't vend or make large amounts of rub but I still make my own. I imagine you could save a lot by doing the same. Paprika, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Chilli Powder, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Turbinado or Brown Sugar and some other special ingredients like Celery Seed, Cumin, Coriander, etc... will get you a decent rub for a lot less... YMMV...

I've purchased some items from this place and was pleased with the price & quality. http://www.sfherb.com/ I'm sure there are better places... Cheers!!!
__________________
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!
hamiltont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
vexter1
On the road to being a farker
 
vexter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-07
Location: St. Louis, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltont View Post
I don't vend or make large amounts of rub but I still make my own. I imagine you could save a lot by doing the same. Paprika, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Cayenne Pepper, Chilli Powder, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Turbinado or Brown Sugar and some other special ingredients like Celery Seed, Cumin, Coriander, etc... will get you a decent rub for a lot less... YMMV...

I've purchased some items from this place and was pleased with the price & quality. http://www.sfherb.com/ I'm sure there are better places... Cheers!!!
I would imagine it would be cheaper as well - I thought about using a basic brown sugar rub with salt/pepper/chili powder/garlic powder/onion powder/paprika/and a little cayenne for a pork butt rub.

Then maybe use the rub I've been using for a final sprinkle on the product just to kick it up a notch before serving.
vexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 06-03-09
Location: Columbus,Indiana
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

what is the flavor profile (i hate that phrase) of your rub? I have one that we use for catering and vending that I have made up buy a local co-pack and I am paying about $2 a lb for it...
__________________
www.bigjtssmokin.com JAMBO pit
indianagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
vexter1
On the road to being a farker
 
vexter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-07
Location: St. Louis, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianagriller View Post
what is the flavor profile (i hate that phrase) of your rub? I have one that we use for catering and vending that I have made up buy a local co-pack and I am paying about $2 a lb for it...
I'd say a general rub - I've used Smoking Guns in the past and liked it - so similar idea. I'd love to talk to you more about yours if it's close and how you went about getting a co-pack to do what you have them doing...sounds like a great idea to me. PM or email me if you'd rather it was not out in the open forum.

Thanks guys - any other ideas welcome!
vexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2012, 07:17 PM   #6
indianagriller
is one Smokin' Farker
 
Join Date: 06-03-09
Location: Columbus,Indiana
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

I will shoot you a PM...it is along the lines of SGH, but i added a different flavor as well.
__________________
www.bigjtssmokin.com JAMBO pit
indianagriller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:17 AM   #7
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

 
BigBellyBBQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-15-08
Location: Lake View, New York
Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0
Default

you MUST get your cost down to 2 to 2.75 a pound. I will go through a 4 gal pale on a busy weekend..If you buy in bulk you can blend your own for a 1.50 a pound, however it took a couple years before I came up with a great combo that fits MY profile,,,if you buy very good products like smokiing guns, save for your self and special cooks, but when you have 20 butts on the smoker to vend, the expensive rubs will cut your profit way down...same thing goes for sauce...use a local favorite, one that the people recognize, keep your cost at 7 to 10 dollars a gallon, doctor that and call it your own...but add just little things..need to watch cost
__________________
TwinTech Pro Double, Backwoods Fat Boy, TwinTech Hawg Kooker, FE 400, SP SPK 700, Empty check book and understanding wife...sometimes..
BigBellyBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
vexter1
On the road to being a farker
 
vexter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-07
Location: St. Louis, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyBBQ View Post
you MUST get your cost down to 2 to 2.75 a pound. I will go through a 4 gal pale on a busy weekend..If you buy in bulk you can blend your own for a 1.50 a pound, however it took a couple years before I came up with a great combo that fits MY profile,,,if you buy very good products like smokiing guns, save for your self and special cooks, but when you have 20 butts on the smoker to vend, the expensive rubs will cut your profit way down...same thing goes for sauce...use a local favorite, one that the people recognize, keep your cost at 7 to 10 dollars a gallon, doctor that and call it your own...but add just little things..need to watch cost
I agree wholeheartedly which is why I was asking. Too bad someone hasn't copied Smokin Guns rub and posted the recipe right?! LOL! We've had a great first year - but I'm realizing the rub is one of the costs I need to get down.

I did some digging on a co-packer here in St. Louis - I couldn't find one - if anyone knows of one here in the STL area - let me know - I'd be interested - thanks!

Keep any other suggestions coming - I really appreciate the ideas and help!
vexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-26-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

 
cpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-11
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexter1 View Post
I agree wholeheartedly which is why I was asking. Too bad someone hasn't copied Smokin Guns rub and posted the recipe right?! LOL! We've had a great first year - but I'm realizing the rub is one of the costs I need to get down.

I did some digging on a co-packer here in St. Louis - I couldn't find one - if anyone knows of one here in the STL area - let me know - I'd be interested - thanks!

Keep any other suggestions coming - I really appreciate the ideas and help!
Don't know that this is accurate or not, but I remember seeing an episode of Diners Drive ins and Dives where he went to Smokin Guns:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/k...ipe/index.html

I do remember in the episode that he put cocoa powder in the rub, which isn't listed in the ingredients.
__________________
________________
Superior SS1
Lang 84 Deluxe
UDS
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
vexter1
On the road to being a farker
 
vexter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-07
Location: St. Louis, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Don't know that this is accurate or not, but I remember seeing an episode of Diners Drive ins and Dives where he went to Smokin Guns:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/k...ipe/index.html

I do remember in the episode that he put cocoa powder in the rub, which isn't listed in the ingredients.
cpw - I saw that link for his rub the other day while doing some digging for his recipe - I have been wanting to make it but haven't had time yet - wondering if that's smoking guns or not it'd be nice if it was...maybe I'll have to find that episode and compare the list to the episode...could be the way the re-create smoking guns at home (or at least close..)
vexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
vexter1
On the road to being a farker
 
vexter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-07
Location: St. Louis, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Don't know that this is accurate or not, but I remember seeing an episode of Diners Drive ins and Dives where he went to Smokin Guns:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/k...ipe/index.html

I do remember in the episode that he put cocoa powder in the rub, which isn't listed in the ingredients.
cocoa and cinnamon were the 2 ingredients not listed in the recipe - found the episode on youtube :)
vexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
cpw
is One Chatty Farker

 
cpw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-11
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Downloads: 4
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexter1 View Post
cocoa and cinnamon were the 2 ingredients not listed in the recipe - found the episode on youtube :)

Let us know how it turns out if you make it, Smokin Guns is a great rub.
__________________
________________
Superior SS1
Lang 84 Deluxe
UDS
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Dixie Meat Rub
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
vexter1
On the road to being a farker
 
vexter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-07
Location: St. Louis, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Let us know how it turns out if you make it, Smokin Guns is a great rub.
If I do, I'll let you know how it goes. ;) Smoking Guns is a great general use rub - no doubt!
vexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
bmarley5780
On the road to being a farker
 
Join Date: 04-09-07
Location: Jacksonville,NC
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

salt pepper
bmarley5780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
vexter1
On the road to being a farker
 
vexter1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-07
Location: St. Louis, MO
Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarley5780 View Post
salt pepper
Do you mean white pepper? I noticed it was missing too.
vexter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Loading



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise v2.6.0 Beta 4 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts