BBQ Brethren "Cook It Like Cowgirl" Throwdown!

As predicted the rain is intereferring with my plans, but I've gone ahead and started prepping anyway. In the meantime, here's a teaser:

eJKLjl.jpg

The best meals start with the best ingredients. Regardless of the throwdown I'm looking forward to eating this!

Beef Cheek chile verde enhiladas on the Hasty-Bake

This is my "official" Throwdown thread. I recently got my HB Gourmet from Bart's Blazin' Q here in NorCal. Been having a lot of fun cooks on it.
I saw this throwdown and just had to enter. Jeanie is my inspiration!!
hbpic.jpg

So, had some beef cheeks in the freezer. If you haven't had them, they are a fatty meat with an intense beef flavor.

vacsealedrawbeefcheek.jpg

Browned them in the CI and then slow cooked them for about 4 hours. Then I removed all the connective tissue, fat, etc and pulled the meat apart.

Meatcooking2.jpg

Then I charred some Pasillas, Jalapenos, Anaheims, Serranos and roasted tomatillos, garlic and an onion.

Roastingtomatillosandpeppers.jpg

Then remove the charred skins, de-seed and de-vein the peppers.
Throw all the peppers, onion, tomatillos, garlic, chicken broth in a blender with some spices. Then you get this tasty mix
Intheblender.jpg

Mix that up with the beef cheeks and let it cook for an hour or so. I also added some flour/water mix to thicken it up a bit.

spoonci.jpg

Put that mix inside of a couple tortillas with a little cheese and life is good!

Plated2.jpg

I just couldn't resist creating a face with some hair on top.... :)
Chris, please us the following picture for the Throwdown.

Thanks for looking. It was tasty...
Plated.jpg

Great entries tarhog and Marty... I'd chow down on both any day. :clap:

tarhog/cack you just need to bite the bullet and do the brisket. Follow Biggie's tutorial the first time, and then make it your own. :thumb:

If you had a Gamecock Avatar it would have probably be perfect ... just saying

Haha, still looks pretty daggum good, and I'm right there with you about being hesitant to do a brisket.

Yeah, Well, Check you schedule. :becky: Mighty Fine Entries!

So I studied Cowgirl's blog for a bit and two things stood out to me:

1) She likes good ingredients treated with respect
2) Everything is better wrapped in bacon

All of this was created without recipes or prior experience, this is strictly an off-the-cuff cook that sounded like a good idea. Finally, today the rain did let up so, without further ado allow me to present:

Stuffed and smoked duck au poivre with a jalapeno grits split

The duck breasts are stuffed with blanched spinach, goat cheese, and sun-dried tomatoes and then wrapped in bacon. I wanted to do the now-famous diagonal bacon weave, but the duck breasts are just too small to make it work right. The grits are mixed with a roasted jalapeno puree and topped with a pepper jack cheese from Central Market that I'm currently in a love affair with. Photos below.

Here's the duck breasts skinned and trimmed during stuffing (don't worry, I saved the skins and rendered down the glorious duck fat for use later).
U5UTgl.jpg

Four duck breasts, all wrapped up and ready to go (more pepper was added later)!
7m0xll.jpg

Coming off the smoker, I had to resist the temptation to bite in immediately!!
GPj2cl.jpg

The obligatory close up shot:
zqccJl.jpg

Plated and ready to eat:
XSlVQl.jpg

and finally, the money shot - and today's official entry photo!
Los1ol.jpg

I hope you enjoyed checking it out. I sure enjoyed eating it!

Wow!! Way to go Tarhog, Marty and Allegry... I'm very impressed! :becky:
Are you sure you looked at my cooking? I can't make anything half that tasty! lol
Thank you for posting! :wink::thumb:

Allergy that looks frigin great. I love breasting out the smaller ducks. Wrapping them in bacon or just cooking them with paprika and salt is awesome. Rare duck is soooo good.

Allergy that looks frigin great. I love breasting out the smaller ducks. Wrapping them in bacon or just cooking them with paprika and salt is awesome. Rare duck is soooo good.

Thanks! It was actually my first time working with just the breasts instead of the whole bird. They cooked a lot faster than I anticipated so I ended up trying to hold them in a warm oven while I readied the grits and they ended up a tad overcooked for my tastes but they were still moist, tender, and delicious.

official entry

Not that I can truly compete with the stuff Guerry is putting out here.... But I did make an amazing steak today.

Marinated in brown sugar and burbon marinade.
sprinkled on some Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria rub

Smoked (around 300*) with some pecan on my UDS. I was also experimenting with some chicken today...

F71BAD4B-84C8-4C63-A9B0-89C75D93C24C-11546-000008D467AFFC6F.jpg

4AA073AE-3B82-41EA-8CB2-A88E32805926-11546-000008D46204B58A.jpg

84A124E9-30D8-4C25-810D-03331BB828E8-11546-000008D44A7BEDEC.jpg

40CEDF50-285E-4BF8-9F35-624DA4AA9F18-11546-000008D4452FD1CC.jpg

2EDA463F-F556-4FF6-A003-AD7C78D76F1A-11546-000008D43526F9D8.jpg

AC361E2D-5837-408E-97FB-82AA8AD97774-11546-000008D440D394CC.jpg

I should have used the actual camera instead of my phone. But it tasted great. Use the above pic please.

Cowgirl meets Grandpa Kwock

Please accept this as my official entry in the "Cook It Like Cowgirl" Throwdown.

Inspired by some Chinese BBQ pork posts by cowgirl like this one and this one, I was inspired to cook up some char siu!

To try to gain a little more cowgirl inspiration I did my best to fix my hair like hers but admittedly I lack her ability to cook with hair in my face so I peeked!
R2Cg.jpg

I also figured it wouldn't hurt to cook at least some of my meal on similar equipment so I too picked up a Hasty Bake Gourmet from BBQ PD:
IMG_2890.jpg

My cooking actually began last night with the cooking of some smokey rice
in the Hasty Bake (cooked with some peach wood smoke - I'm not really sure why I chose peach but it was fine):
IMG_2868.jpg

While the rice was cooking I gathered up ingredients for some char siu marinade following "Grandpa Kwock's" recipe (landarc's SILs family recipe - something I've been wanting to try for a while):
IMG_2882.jpg

Rather than cut up a boneless butt I chose to go with some pre-cut butt in the form of "country style ribs":
IMG_2885.jpg

I got the meat in the marinade and put it into the refrigerator to marinate for about 13-14 hrs.

Then back to the rice which was done (about an hour after putting it on):
IMG_2873.jpg

I pulled off the rice, let it cool, and it also went into the fridge.

Fast forward to about 11 AM today and I got the Hasty Bake set up for an indirect roast with some cherry and apple wood and hung the pork ala Chinatown style:
IMG_2900.jpg

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2970.jpg

While the pork rested I proceeded to make some fried rice using the smokey rice I had made the night before. Now cowgirl has what she calls her "fancy cooker" that would have been great for this but I don't know where to find one of them so I had to use my Small BGE and my 12" wok:
IMG_2910.jpg

A little Egg in the Egg (sorry, couldn't resist writing that):
IMG_2913.jpg

Some rice:
IMG_2915.jpg

Rice about ready (also added green onions, peas, carrots, and a little minced garlic):
IMG_2924.jpg

Wokked up some string beans and more garlic:
IMG_2927.jpg

And here's my plate (please use this for the TD vote):
IMG_2947.jpg

It was a fun cook! Thanks cowgirl for the inspiration (and thanks landarc for sharing Grandpa Kwock's recipe).

Thanks for looking!

John that looks awesome. No wonder you looked a little busy today.... You got a hasty bake too??? Very nice

Hey all! This is just my little entry into this here Throwdown.

First off, I don't think I could ever hold a candle to Jeanie, but I had to pay homage to my favorite cowgirl.

So I was going to make a lasagna this weekend, and figured I would make it like cowgirl.

I started with a twin pack of Pork Butts from Sam's.

IMG_1680.jpg

I deboned the butts and cut them into strips.

IMG_1681.jpg

Then I ground them up.

IMG_1682.jpg

I added seasonings per the recipe on brother thirdeye's site for Italian Sausage, the one with the white wine and romano cheese.:thumb:

IMG_1684.jpg

Then I let the sausage rest overnight to mingle.

The next day I chopped up some onions and put them in some olive oil in one of my best rib boilers.

IMG_1685.jpg

After the onions heated for a bit I added some garlic.

IMG_1686.jpg

When the onions and garlic were good and translucent I added some seasonings and tomatoes to let that simmer all day.

IMG_1687.jpg

While that was simmering I grabbed some of the Italian Sausage I made the night before and arranged a bacon weave.

IMG_1688.jpg

I then grabbed a good sized chunk of sausage and made a fatty.

IMG_1689.jpg

I put the fatty on my WSM with some pecan chunks for flavor.

IMG_1690.jpg

A bit later I went to check on the sauce and decided it was time to hit it with the stick blender.

IMG_1691.jpg

A little while later the fatty was done.

IMG_1693.jpg

I had a slice out of the middle. That is a tasty sausage! If you haven't tried the recipe...what the fark are you waiting for?

IMG_1697.jpg

I chopped up the rest of the fatty.

IMG_1698.jpg

I jarred up half of the sauce to store for use later on other things. Then I added the chopped fatty to the rest of the sauce and then that cook up for a while to get good and happy.

IMG_1699.jpg

The next day I started working on the noodles.

IMG_1700.jpg

I let the dough rest for a half hour before rolling out to cut into the noodles.

IMG_1701.jpg

Then I took a half size aluminum pan, because aluminum keeps the aliens out, and put some meat sauce in the bottom.

IMG_1702.jpg

Then some parmesan cheese.

IMG_1703.jpg

Then a layer of noodles.

IMG_1704.jpg

Some Ricotta cheese. And not that wimpy skim crap either!:mad:

IMG_1705.jpg

Some mozzerella.

IMG_1706.jpg

More meat sauce.

IMG_1707.jpg

Parmesan.

IMG_1708.jpg

Noodles...you get the idea...

IMG_1709.jpg

After the last noodles layer was added, I topped it with more mozzerella and parmesan.

IMG_1710.jpg

I put that in my WSM with Pecan chunks for smokey goodness at 325 for about an hour and a half, until it looked like this.

IMG_1711.jpg

After letting it cool a bit I cut it up and served it.

IMG_1712.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

I made the noodles a bit thick, but it still tasted really farking delicious!

Thanks for looking.

Back