喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Unread 09-07-2012, 01:38 AM   #1
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What do you guys like RUGU DIGIQ

I find this listing:

BBQ GURU DIGIQ TEMPERATURE CONTROL FOR BIG GREEN EGG NEW IN BOX 10CFM FREE SHIP
Price US$279 free shipping.

on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/BBQ-GURU-DIG...item231f304941

It sells 20 to 30 pieces per month

My WOLF package US$158 including shipping.

But sales of WOLF is much poorer than Guru DIGIQ

I must do something wrong.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.
woodpelletsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

If I had to guess it is because BBQ Guru is well known. Everyone heavily involved in BBQ knows who they are and what they are getting.

I have not tried your products, nor do I know any one personally that has. I know six or seven people that have the Guru and I can go see in person. Nothing against your product, but you have to get your name out there.

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 06:40 AM   #3
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I have Guru products that I purchased after looking at your products. Here are the factors that pushed me towards Guru over yours:
  • U.S. Distributor - makes warranty, exchange, and repair much easier
  • Large user base - can get help through online communities easier
  • Online documentation that is well written and easy to follow
  • Item design and compactness - yours look like a science project and are too large and clunky
  • I can call Guru for assistance

I'm not saying you don't make a good product. For most serious BBQ people who are likely to want a temp controller and already have a lot of money invested in equipment, saving money by buying your products is probably not a big advantage over buying a Guru or similar US sourced equipment.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

The guys have made good points so far.

A lot of folks are afraid to buy products from any place outside of the US, especially on eBay. It doesn't matter where the product is made, but buying direct from a non-US seller makes people nervous.

As far as design, I'm going to be very honest here. Please don't be offended. This is my opinion, and doesn't mean that you aren't building a good product.

Here is the Guru...

The interface is simple and looks very easy to use. It looks like a professionally made product.

Here is the Wolf...

The interface is confusing with a lot of buttons, LEDs, etc. Some things aren't labeled intuitively. It looks like someone bought a project box at Radio Shack and some rub-on lettering and built it in their basement.

Going beyond that, as Lionel mentioned, the folks at BBQ Guru are very active in BBQ here in the US. They are at competitions and they are winning. Other BBQers know who they are, and that helps a lot.

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

1.Personally I prefer battery for safety, rainproof inside SS box, and convenience( I think)
Obviously some of you guys find difficulty to source a right battery
2.I am using a big fan of 50 CFM. Obviously most of you need only a 10 CFM
3.Learn from DIGIQ, I now also offer you options of 10 CFM fan and AC/DC adapter

AC/DC adapter 12 VDC 5 A
10 CFM fan,
Flange A for Offset
US$158.Free SAL mail

AC/DC adapter 12 VDC 5 A
10 CFM fan,
Flange C for Offset
US$158.Free SAL mail

AC/DC adapter 12 VDC 5 A
10 CFM fan,
Flange B for Ceramic Pit
US$168.Free SAL mail

AC/DC adapter 12 VDC 5 A
10 CFM fan,
Flange D for Weber series
US$168.Free SAL mail

4.Compared with DIGIQ
DIGIQ 1 Amp 12VDC, WOLF 2Amps 12VDC
DIGIQ AC/DC adapter 12 VDC 1 Amps, WOLF AC/DC adapter 5 Amps 12 VDC
DIGIQ Fan 10 CFM, WOLF fan 10 CFM and optional 50 CFM
DIGIQ, one pit temperature, WOLF programmable 4 pit temperatures
DIGIQ, meat probe for monitoring not for controlling, WOLF meat probe for monitoring and controlling. WOLF ramping down is better programmed
WOLF has option of Automatic and Manual mode. Manual mode is great to start fire.
WOLF LED windows show more information
WOLF OUTPUT variable voltage in P.I.D. mode. the fan will run faster or slower or stop
DIGIQ output, I do not know , guess is SSR, constant fan speed, simply on-off mode
Size of WOLF is 4.5"x3.5"x1.75"
DIGIQ $274, WOLF $158

5.Obviously I am a bad business man.
I do need partners in States.
If partner buys 100 sets per order, the wholesale price is US$99 for above US$158 package.
Suggested retail price is US$199.

Last edited by woodpelletsmoker; 09-07-2012 at 08:01 AM..
Unread 09-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

I think you are missing the point that RonL and I are trying to make, or you just don't want to address it. Your product design needs to be improved. The pictures you just posted work against you. I know the DigiQ has more wires than what is shown in the photo RonL posted; but your product still looks like a home science project.

You may think this is an over-emphasis of design, but just take a look at what made Apple such as force: design. Folks want sleek and sexy, even in BBQ.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks teanfour, you are right, it is a home science project.
Technically I am proud of my product.
But its outlook needs to be tuned.
When it reaches to certain market share, be sure I must make it more professional by professionals, say industrial designer
Thanks from:--->
Unread 09-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
IbrahimSS
Full Fledged Farker

I have had extremely bad experiences ordering anything from China from a non-reputable company. Once I got a shipment of used batteries weighing the same amount as a pair of shoes for example. I think that's HUGE deterrent for most. Also the guru is proven, the interface is clean, the website is refined, and they offer adapters making it "seemingly" easier to integrate into any smoker. The other thing that's huge to me is wifi and application support. I'm not sure what you offer there but I'm sure it's going to be lacking compared to all the apps etc offered by developers who already have the guru and other units.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
Used Lang 48 or Meadow Creek TS60 or Klose being hunted for so if you know of any PM me
IbrahimSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default It is illegal to mail battery from China to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimSS View Post
I have had extremely bad experiences ordering anything from China from a non-reputable company. Once I got a shipment of used batteries weighing the same amount as a pair of shoes for example. I think that's HUGE deterrent for most. Also the guru is proven, the interface is clean, the website is refined, and they offer adapters making it "seemingly" easier to integrate into any smoker. The other thing that's huge to me is wifi and application support. I'm not sure what you offer there but I'm sure it's going to be lacking compared to all the apps etc offered by developers who already have the guru and other units.
There are many listings of battery by China suppliers on eBay.
BUT all are illegal.
It is not allwed to send battery via air mail due to safety reason.
The seller simply cheats post office.

Now I am clear what you guys worry about. I must need partners in states.
Again wholesale price is US$99 for the US$158 package, suggested retail price US$199
Certainly I will grant market protect for partners
Unread 09-07-2012, 06:08 PM   #10
Scottacious
Found some matches.

Besides the issue of the design you are also facing a big marketing issue. Not many people are going to fork over $10,000 for your 100 units unless they know they can sell 65 right away to recoup the costs. That is a lot of risk that your "partner" will need to bare.

Your website needs to be updated a bit so it shows your strengths. I only found out about your devices as I was looking of information about the Stoker and DigiQ.
Scottacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #11
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Yes it is difficult to find right partners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottacious View Post
Besides the issue of the design you are also facing a big marketing issue. Not many people are going to fork over $10,000 for your 100 units unless they know they can sell 65 right away to recoup the costs. That is a lot of risk that your "partner" will need to bare.

Your website needs to be updated a bit so it shows your strengths. I only found out about your devices as I was looking of information about the Stoker and DigiQ.
I may need ONE partner in whole American market or one in each state.
Not everyone is entrepreneur.
It takes time and needs luck for me to find the partner(s).
Risk always comes with big profit.
DIGIQ US$274, GOLDEN-WOLF package wholesale US$99, suggested retail US$199
Auber US$147, GOLDEN-DOG package wholesale US$69, suggested retail US$99
GURU wireless remote US$600+ , GOLDEN-TIGER direct sale price US$218
STOKER WIFI US$600+, GOLDEN-LION direct sale price US$258
Unread 09-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
MilitantSquatter

I agree with all the other comments... the raw product may be functional and perform well, but it does not give that appearance at all.. It looks like it will fail... that's a problem as perception is reality...

Product quality at targeted price point means a lot, but it's only as good as the brand perception, marketing and service...

Another note for suggested opportunity is a product name change, a logo and a more visually pleasing website..

I understand that animals may have different cultural and representative significance, but here, the names do not transfer well over to a BBQ accessory..

Ex. GOLDEN DOG, LION, WOLF, TIGER etc...

This just gives a very negative connotation and for someone unfamiliar with BBQ... they would never associate the name to a themostatic control for BBQ cooking equipment

I applaud your entrepreneurial spirit, your desire to understand your competition and make a product that performs similarly at a lower cost, but you must also focus on your target audience and what excites them when making a buying decision.
Unread 09-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
IbrahimSS
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
There are many listings of battery by China suppliers on eBay.
BUT all are illegal.
It is not allwed to send battery via air mail due to safety reason.
The seller simply cheats post office.

Now I am clear what you guys worry about. I must need partners in states.
Again wholesale price is US$99 for the US$158 package, suggested retail price US$199
Certainly I will grant market protect for partners
Just to be clear I ordered shoes. They sent me used batteries in the same weight so I wouldn't suspect any issues when I got the shipment alert.
18.5" WSM (Model #2820)
UDS
Used Lang 48 or Meadow Creek TS60 or Klose being hunted for so if you know of any PM me
IbrahimSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Your absolute right and most helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post

Another note for suggested opportunity is a product name change, a logo and a more visually pleasing website...
I need much more than a partner to buy 100 pieces.
I must need a financial investor to set up a joint venture in States, professional team for marketing, web site, logo, service, advertisement, new brand name, new appearence ect. All in native American culture. It is too big and is byound my ability.
Then China is just an OEM manufacturer.
Landmann, Brinkman, Traeger are made in China.
MOST notebooks are made in China.
It is easy to make controller in China too.
It is eay to make it look nice.
Question:Why someone invests in my controller.
Answer:Technically it is the best in the market.
I start jumping from the shoulder of the giant(s) and I am higher than the giant(s)
Unread 09-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #15
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Default Once again, your post tells me that I must need partner(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbrahimSS View Post
Just to be clear I ordered shoes. They sent me used batteries in the same weight so I wouldn't suspect any issues when I got the shipment alert.
I did not not realise your problem when reading your first post.
Indeed I find difficult to understand some posts when written "ORALLY"
I sell on eBay. eBay has feedback system. You can always buy from sellers with higher score.
I received a few negative feedbacks, most due to LONG delivery time.
My burner, smoker, cold smoke generator, Spit Rotisserie are heavy metals. Air mail will be prohibitive. SO I send surface mail. Surface mail takes 8 to 1o weeks. Occasionally 12 weeks.