2013 Weber Jumbo Joe

I am confused by the lid hoop, with a bottom vent. It doesn't make sense for a traveling Smokey Joe.

I have to wonder if Weber is just sticking their toes in the water.

CD

Looks like it'll be called a Jumbo Joe Electrum.. Electrum being a naturally occurring alloy of gold and silver. I just looked it up, didn't actually know that. Not a good name, doesn't really roll off the tongue.

If it truly is 18.5", a 30 gallon drum should fit right in for a slightly taller 18.5" WSM. Maybe 3 cooking grates!

Would have to sturdy up the legs for that though.

very cool indeed I am fighting off the urge to buy one. About converting it to a smoker (and I know I am going to get it for this) what would be the difference between that and an 18" smokey mountain? I just don't see the difference, though it may be cheaper to convert this than buy a 18" wsm.

Now how do I justify buying this to the wife............

If it truly is 18.5", a 30 gallon drum should fit right in for a slightly taller 18.5" WSM. Maybe 3 cooking grates!

That's the size drum I used to make a midi UDS - 18.5" lid fits perfectly. These drums are hard to find, but I finally found a new one from zorotools.com for $60 (free shipping).

Putting this out there because i know brethren will be jumping to make WSM clones once this hits the stores!

Now that I say this, i wonder if that would eat into 18.5" WSM sales? It would be cheaper, for one thing.

awesome, as a camper, Im always frustrated by the lack of cooking space on a 14.5. was thinking about just bringing a foil pan and a grate and going commando instead of bringing a grill you have to make room for and put in a garbage bag

Below is a photo of the new jumbo joe compared with the European Compact Weber 47cm (18inch) kettle. It appears to be the same bowl and lid. If any of our international Brethren have this grill. They can probably confirm or deny that it will fit the middle section of an 18"wsm or 30 gallon drum. It all depends on the bowl and lid lips.

Side note: Target deleted the ad for the jumbo joe, Weber is on to us. :crazy:

14213771_120724043000.jpg

weber-47cm-compact-kettle-bbq.gif

What I would really like to see is a kettle that has legs that collapse with a way to fasten the lid. I would love to have a portable kettle that stood the regular height and could be carried with one hand.

**Don't get your hopes up!**

First off 30 gallon drums seem to be harder to come by than 85 gallon overpack drums. But if those are your plans start searching now.

I had a rustbucket 18" Red Bar-B-Kettle that I considered turning into a SJP using replacement parts from Weber, but I found a 30 gallon drum without a lid.

IMG_4980.jpg

No date code
IMG_4979.jpg

The Weber lid does not fit the drum, so I cut the bowl and did the swamprb UDS Weber lid flange mod and tack welded it to the drum.

IMG_4975.jpg

IMG_4976.jpg

IMG_4991.jpg

IMG_4993.jpg

IMG_4994.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if Cajun Bandit considers making a Stacker for the 18"Kettle/WSM in the future.

We have an OLD Jumbo Joe, that was also called the Outrider, and a newer Smoky Joe Platinum, which is basically the same thing, but with the new composite handles.

The main issue with these was the lower vent is higher than the level of the charcoal grate, making temp control a bit of a pain. Before I bought another, I'd check to see that the bottom vent is below the fuel grate. Just a word of advice!

Stoke&Smoke;2189978The main issue with these was the lower vent is higher than the level of the charcoal grate said:
Lower vent appears to be on the bottom in the OP picture.

14213771_120724043000.jpg

Back