The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 08-22-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Rpf41978
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Talking UDS Build - Two Cooking Trays

Hi all,
I'm looking at putting together my first UDS in the next week or two. I've been researching this for a few weeks and I would prefer to have two cooking trays in mine. I know I'll likely have to put in a diffuser tray to control the heat for the lower rack.
I've seen several designs that explain the cooking tray should be 20 - 23" from the coal basket; but, I have yet to find any designs with positioning for two trays. Does anyone have any suggested specifications or links that would point me in the right direction?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Rpf41978 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
Teamfour
is One Chatty Farker

The general placement would be the lower rack about 8" down from the rim, and the upper rack even with the rim. You will need to use a domed lid to really make use of the upper rack.
BWS Party |UDS|Great Outdoors Propane Vertical|Maverick ET-73 |Maverick ET-732 |Super Fast Orange Thermapen | BBQ Guru DigiQ |Two 100 QT crawfish boiling rigs | LEM Meat Grinder | Grizzly Sausage Stuffer

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
MABA Member
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
JimF
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a two rack UDS. The top rack is 6 inches from the top and the lower rack is 13 inches from the top. 6 inches on the top rack plus a webber dome lid gives me enough room on the top rack for beer can chickens

Unread 08-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Rpf41978
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the info. I guess it is time to start checking CL for a lid.

Unread 08-22-2012, 11:07 PM   #5
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2

Look at Norcoredneck thread great info and he has the 2 racks set up and measured up for you :)
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2012, 11:18 PM   #6
Rpf41978
Knows what a fatty is.

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Unread 08-23-2012, 07:14 AM   #7
GreenDrake
is one Smokin' Farker

I had mine done with the top rack about four inches from the rim and the lower rack about 9 inches below that. I use a heat deflector made from the lid, resting right on top of the charcoal basket, no holes in it.

Mine runs perfectly. I don't minion to start it, I have a door in the sidewall of my UDS and fire it off with a weed burner. The lower rack runs about 20-25 degrees hotter than the upper. She likes to cruise about 230 most of the time.

Unread 08-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
jmoney7269
Banned

My top Rack is 1/2" from the top, 2nd rack is 5.5" from the 1st rack. I Used the weber kettle lid. You MUST use the regular drum measuring 22 9/16" wide for the kettle lid to fit perfect. It's important that if you build a UDS with a weber Kellttle lid, to have the lid first. I ordered mine directly from weber for $52. That way you can take your lid with you to make sure it fits the drum snug. Rolled top lids will not work to get the tight seal necessary to control airflow.
I cut the tops out with a plasma cutter

Brisket on top rack

Beer can chicken on the bottom

No diffuser plate and I cooks even all around, no hot spots

I have built many different configurations of UDS's and this one is definitely the most efficient and best cooking one. Good luck on your build.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #9
razrbakcrzy
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpf41978 View Post
Hi all,
I'm looking at putting together my first UDS in the next week or two. I've been researching this for a few weeks and I would prefer to have two cooking trays in mine. I know I'll likely have to put in a diffuser tray to control the heat for the lower rack.
I've seen several designs that explain the cooking tray should be 20 - 23" from the coal basket; but, I have yet to find any designs with positioning for two trays. Does anyone have any suggested specifications or links that would point me in the right direction?
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
try this !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barrel34dims(nice).jpg (22.5 KB, 217 views)
Future Smoker
$5438.25 Total BYC Smoker!!

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
razrbakcrzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-23-2012, 08:18 PM   #10
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

My top rack is 7" from the drum lip, second rack is 7" under that. No dome lid needed. Plenty of space for most cooking situations. If you do get a dome lid, you could feasibly have 3 cooking levels.... (gears start turning)

Unread 08-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #11
Rpf41978
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for all of the information. Can't wait to get back in town so I can start this project.

Sean, do use a diffuser pan or a water pan (similar to WSM)?

Last edited by Rpf41978; 08-23-2012 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: Forgot to ask question...

Tags
uds build