The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Unread 08-10-2012, 12:47 AM   #46
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Woodpelletsmoker, are you saying that your smoker is reverse flow due to the the flame flowing out of the air inlet once the fan stops? Actually that's flashback or backdraft, as the heated fuel seeks out air to burn in. Smoke has unburnt fuel in it and an (air) starved fire is a whole lot of unburnt fuel looking for air. In the right ratios the heat, fuel and air = explosion!

First let clear up reverse flow -
For most of us reverse flow is the smoke is made to follow a longer path through the smoker. Smoke flows from the firebox to the far end of the smoker and back exiting near the fire box. See below

Then let's look and flashback / backdraft -
This happens when hot fuel finds air, the fuel catches fire. The fire makes the air and fuel mix more as the heat makes the air more turbulent. This makes the flame hotter, etc it can reach a point where it explodes.

here is a flashback / backdraft you can try for yourself it won't blow up

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #47
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

My BURNER is reverse flow, You mention the revese flow of SMOKER.
I just made a reverse flow SMOKER, please check
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=140804
woodpelletsmoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #48
Squeal Appeal
Got Wood.

This Thread is for Charcoal burner ,,, not for smoker..Your Burner is not reverse flow. There is only one direction of flow of heat and smoke coming from burner . It is for burning of Pellets, wood chunks, and small pieces of charcoal. If you wish you can also burn sawdust, for (heat and smoke),,,,,,,,,Also when doing my test (again) without controller, i have to manually turn blower on and off. When doing so i have waited as long as 30 minutes before turning on blower.. Never have i had to re-light the burner, seems like the pellets keep burning so slow without a blower.. Temps only dropped about 10 degrees, in a 30 minute time frame.(Backwoods Competitor Pro Jr)....I am adding a seal, and latches for the lid.... As soon as i get my controller i will do a test run and provide either video or photos.......
Squeal Appeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #49
Squeal Appeal
Got Wood.

Burn has not occured up in Bin with proper seal (so far)......

Last edited by Squeal Appeal; 08-10-2012 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: punc.
Unread 08-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #50
dave2012bbq
Got Wood.

If the fan is always running, very slow to maintain the temperature, the risk of flashback or backdraft should be reduced, but I'm not a pyro expert. Even pyro experts make mistakes (e.g., prior US requirement for fan on flour silo to reduce explosions). It seem like the main risk is when a sealed container is opened and introduces air to super heated fuel (like on a Kamado). Possible turning on the fan to have a controlled burn of the gases for a few minutes, turn off the fan and open the door. I think only time and experience will tell. The kamado is thousands of years old and we still finding things out today.
I think Pellet's fan is a brushless DC computer blower. So sparks from the fan should be minimal from static or friction. A fixed steel screens can be added to less the chances of a spark from the fan to ignite the gases in the firepot.

Is the reverse flow for Pellet's firepot is the air flow goes down instead of up?
dave2012bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #51
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Your mail box is full
1.Please try a NEW battery
2.Please exchange "+" and "-" poles
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #52
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Following shall be an PM, but other buyers may meet same puzzle, I post here for all your reference.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Receive returned WOLF.
I test it and it works perfectly.

I find you set P1=0,T=0 and P2=0 and P3=0
When you turn on, the meat probe immediately is above "0", and the meat probe takes over control of fire immediately. As the meat probe is above target value of P1, it will not turn on the fan. Your fan will never run.

Whatever the reason is, I thank you very much for your patient and trust.
I will return you a TIGER instead of WOLF.

Please make sure your power source is 12 VDC and 2+ amps.
Please make sure the low battery light of "batt" will not blink.
Unread 08-15-2012, 01:30 AM   #53
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

If you want to control your smoker by pit probe, and use meat probe just as monitoring but not as controlling, you can simply set P1=550. Usually your meat will never reach to 550F, and your fire will be controlled by pit probe
Unread 08-15-2012, 06:17 PM   #54
Chocolatesoupcan
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
Your mail box is full
1.Please try a NEW battery
2.Please exchange "+" and "-" poles
Is the black wire positive or negative?
I don't think I have seen this information anywhere.
Chocolatesoupcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #55
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

usually black is "-"
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #56
Squeal Appeal
Got Wood.

Default 1st Place

King Bis.jpg Perfect Scores all 10s ....using charcoal burner and Tiger, adapted to Backwoods Smoker,,,, used Traeger apple Pellets,
Outside temps went from 75 to 45, north winds at 20+ mph and rain.....Temps varied 3 degs. used 20lbs bag of pellets, cooked for 11 hours at 250 deg..... Thanks Wang
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:28 PM   #57
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

WOW!
May we have more pictures and detailed story.