The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Unread 08-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

"it has allowed the temp to drop down to 209 and the fan hasn't come back on to bring it back to temp."
Do not disturb the process. do not open the cover, do not turn off the controller, do not turn to manually. Soon it will learn itsself. This is the feature of variable PID voltage output.
woodpelletsmoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:00 AM   #17
Gr8adventure
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodpelletsmoker View Post
"it has allowed the temp to drop down to 209 and the fan hasn't come back on to bring it back to temp."
Do not disturb the process. do not open the cover, do not turn off the controller, do not turn to manually. Soon it will learn itsself. This is the feature of variable PID voltage output.
Wang, Thank you! I thought that might be the case, but it did have me a little concerned.

Now that I have the pork butt in so far its keeping the temp within 5 degrees. At first the temp went as high as 229 and now it has dropped back down to 220. Am I to assume at this point it is still learning the cooker. It has been an hour and 45 minutes since I first started the controller if that makes a difference.

Soon I want to add some more pecan and apple wood is that going to mess up the PID's learning process.
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #18
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

After every disturb the controller will teach itsself again.
Also in my gravity feed burner the controller can keep temperature swing in 1 F.
But in other fire box, temperature is not as stable as in my burner.
Thanks from:--->
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
Gr8adventure
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm going to need to do a boiling water test because my Maverick pit probe is right next to the Tiger's pit probe and maverick is reading 226 right now while the Tigers hasn't budged from 220 for approximately 30 minutes. Is this normal?

Also I asked this earlier, but you may have missed the question. Is it normal for the low battery alarm to come on when placing the pit in manual mode from the remote?
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #20
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8adventure View Post

Also I asked this earlier, but you may have missed the question. Is it normal for the low battery alarm to come on when placing the pit in manual mode from the remote?
Two things
1. Is your power supply rated at greater than 2 amps? Realistically a 4 amp is better. I had noticed in your earlier post it was a 500ma.

2. I believe the low amperage power supply (if that's what you're using) coupled with the switching to MAN mode, where I am assuming the fan is set to high is a HUGE draw for the power supply and the voltage is dropping, which signals the low battery alarm.

Just my thoughts from farting with mine....
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #21
jetfxr27
is one Smokin' Farker

Gr8adventure,
I just went and re-read your post.
This is the power supply I was talking about. I see its 2 amps, however looking at the bulk of that thing I bet its overrated. I had lots of Batt issues early on and it all pointed back to the power supply, be it low power, loose connections etc.
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #22
Gr8adventure
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfxr27 View Post
Two things
1. Is your power supply rated at greater than 2 amps? Realistically a 4 amp is better. I had noticed in your earlier post it was a 500ma.

2. I believe the low amperage power supply (if that's what you're using) coupled with the switching to MAN mode, where I am assuming the fan is set to high is a HUGE draw for the power supply and the voltage is dropping, which signals the low battery alarm.

Just my thoughts from farting with mine....
I'm plugged into 110 now and have been attempting to get a replacement or battery or refund from the Ebay seller.

Pardon, just saw your second post...
Unread 08-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #23
Gr8adventure
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm really feeling stupid... no wonder there was an issue my ac/dc adapter is one of those that you can change the voltage on and the switch was changed to 9 volts. Now that the controller is not being starved for power it is having to recalibrate.
Unread 08-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #24
Gr8adventure
Knows what a fatty is.

Okay even though I've fixed my ac/dc adapter issue I'm still not convinced I've fixed my issues.

Wang told me this morning at about 6:00 a.m. PST. that the reason the pit dropped to 209F is the PID is learning my pit so I need to leave everything alone. However as I stated earlier I had already put placed it in manual to get the fan going. It was only placed on manual for less than a minute and when it was placed back onto auto the fan continued to run until it got back to the set temp of 250F.

The same exact thing happened again about 8:00 a.m., but this time I followed Wang's advice and did nothing for 2 hours. At that point I was concerned my butt wouldn't be ready on time for dinner if I waited any longer. So once again I put the controller on manual for less than 1 minute, placed it back into auto and the fan kept running until it reached 250F. Just how long should this thing take to "learn my pit." Its now 10:30 a.m. and its been running since 5:00 a.m..

What am I doing wrong or not understanding now?
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #25
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

1.What MEAT temperature do you set, P1,P2,P3, where do you put meat probe.
2.Do you change other parameters of P,I,D
Unread 08-12-2012, 08:32 PM   #26
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

Meat probe and temperature also can effect the fan.
Where do you put the meat probe
What value of P1,P2,P3 do you set
and what real P1 reads.

Once an user did not want to use meat probe.
He just left the meat probe outside the smoker and set P1=50
Then the fan did not run.
When meat temperature reaches to P1, the fan will not run
Unread 08-13-2012, 05:52 AM   #27
thegizzard
On the road to being a farker

I usually start with no value at all in P1. This way the temp is fully controlled by the Pit Thermometer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:40 PM   #28
thegizzard

Below is my new power setup for the Lion. This is the Lithium Ion battery I purchased from ebay at http://www.ebay.com/itm/170794794136

The picture is to give you an idea of its size. If it is truly 12V @ 9800ah, it is pretty small. Some testing will confirm.

I am waiting on a replacement probe so there is limited testing I can do. More info to come as soon as I get back up and running.

BTW: The tennis ball is only there for size reference. Everything works perfectly well without it.
thegizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #29
thegizzard

I may need to revisit my recommendation on the battery. After fully charging and putting the battery on a volt meter ... It's only putting out 11.26 volts. This is not good. I confirmed with Wang that 12V is the minimum required voltage. I am working on a refund or replacement for the battery.

thegizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #30
woodpelletsmoker
is One Chatty Farker

I can buy this model at about US$35 including shipping inside China.
I am just wondering how you can buy it at US$30 and shipment is from China to American.