喫煙者
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Sales and Ventures > Brethren Ventures > Gravity Fed smokers and Grills

Notices

Gravity Fed smokers and Grills We are the inventors of these Gravity Fed Smokers and Grills. Innovative and efficient, these BBQ Grills and smokers can burn multi-fuel of charcoal, Wood Pellet, Wood Chunks, Wood Logs and reach temps of 300C or 572 F.

Unread 08-05-2012, 11:16 AM   #16
Ron_L

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 0

THIS THREAD HAS BEEN SCRUBBED!!!

Before anyone complains please read the description of the Brethren Ventures section...

Quote:
This is the place for members with commercially marketed products to freely advertise their wares. Products, sales, reviews, testimonials can be found here.
This forum is specifically for the use of Woodpelletsmoker to advertise his products and to provide support for his customers or potential customers. If you want to discuss his products as compared to competitive products please use Q-talk.

Any further posts that are not specifically related to the topic of this thread will be deleted.

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
Gr8adventure
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegizzard View Post
Wow. This is insane and upsetting.

I like this product. I am going to shoot a video. I will post it on my website. I will include a .pdf manual that I will write. I will do this all for free.

Why? Because I think pellet is getting bullied here.

If everyone understands that there are some language issues and this is a new product that is rough around the edges, then you know what you are getting into when you buy. At this moment the Lion is not plug and play, but when you have gotten through the learning curve you will be very very pleased at the value it offers.

I love the Internet. I have learned much from others. I have benefitted from the passion of others and have received much for little or no cost to myself. I am going to give back by helping Woodpellet out here.

Please ask me if you have questions about the product. I will set up a new thread for this.
thegizzard, I sent you a p.m.., before I saw that the mods cleaned up this thread. Until then I wasn't going to post anything in this thread again and just let it hopefully die a fast and painless death.

I agree with your every word and greatly appreciate your willingness to help.

I went into this purchase with my eyes wide open knowing of the difficulties. I'm personally thankful that Wang has made his product available to us. I'm confident with his continued obvious commitment to produce excellent product, to give great customer service, and with generously helpful Brethren like thegizzard the product and service will only keep getting better.

Well I woke up a little later than I planned today, so I won't be using the controller on my UDS to do my first butt as intended. I will instead use it to smoke my first Beer Can Chicken.

Last edited by Gr8adventure; 08-05-2012 at 01:41 PM..
Gr8adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #18
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Didn't see Ron's thing - Makes sense.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #19
thegizzard
On the road to being a farker

Gr8adventure, were you able to test your unit with the UDS set at 60?

BTW, the way I got to 60 was by following the instructions, and as you said the fan never started moving, but I did start hearing an increasingly loud high pitched whine coming from the fan. This led me to believe the fan was trying to start. So I gave it a little nudge. At 60, it kept spinning after my nudge. So I've kept it at 60. Also, I have the HDC set at 97%.
thegizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #20
Gr8adventure
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegizzard View Post
Gr8adventure, were you able to test your unit with the UDS set at 60?

BTW, the way I got to 60 was by following the instructions, and as you said the fan never started moving, but I did start hearing an increasingly loud high pitched whine coming from the fan. This led me to believe the fan was trying to start. So I gave it a little nudge. At 60, it kept spinning after my nudge. So I've kept it at 60. Also, I have the HDC set at 97%.
I miscommunicated when I said "UDS" set to 60. What I've actually done is set the maximum "UDC" (fan speed) to 60%. Now that I think about higher would likely be better to get the temp up quickly without have to use manual mode so maybe I'll set it to 80% or more.

Now that the directions have begun to make more sense to to me I realize now what I need to set is the minimum "UDC" (fan speed). This is the one that the directions say need to be adjusted until the fan begins running. That I'll do when its all attached to the UDS with a fire going.

I thing all this is beginning to make sense to me now. I've also begun to realize the part of my confusion has been that there seems to be some digital settings that come up on the display as I'm going through the settings I've not found explanations for in the directions.

Apparently I when it come to this stuff I belong on the Short Bus!

No, I never ended up firing up the smoker Sunday and now I will not be able to until this coming weekend. Hopefully by then I'll have this all figured out. However, I did cook my first beer can chicken using my Weber Kettle. It turned out well, but made me wonder how much better it would be on the UDS low n' slow. The goal for next weekend is Butts or Bust on the UDS running the controller.

I did get the fan attached to my UDS in a way that has it out of the way of feet and other hazards. I'll post a picture when I have more time.
Unread 08-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #21
dave2012bbq
Got Wood.

I have on of Wang's 12V DC fan. The Wang fan has a huge CFM output and will likely be able to handle a small commercial size smoker. The UDS is a home size smoke that would be an XX-small commercial size. All DC fans have a min. starting voltage needed. The 60% is likely too low to start your particular fan. You'll likely to get better results with a with a higher min. voltage (>60% setting). You may need to limit the amount of air blown to the UDS by adding a restrictor (something to partially block the air flow) or an air bypass (add a Tee fitting between the fan and smoker). Other brands of controllers have smaller output fans (lower CFM and run at near full CFM output, that is run at the higher settings.

I know of no smoker controller has used the PWM to control the fan speed. This would solve the stall and fail to start issues. The fan that Wang sold has 4 wires -- 2 wires for the DC postive and negative, a tach wire and a PWM speed controller wire. Much more expensive than the typical 2 wire computer fans. Using a Goolgle search, PWM controllers for temp. control are expensive, except when used for computer fan controllers. Unfortunately I don't know how to re-engineer one for the Q.
dave2012bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #22
thegizzard
On the road to being a farker

To clarify, I do not have any fail to start issues. The only issue I see is that the stated instruction on how to set the minimum speed (UDC) do not operate as per the manual. Based on my experience attempting to follow the UDC setting instructions, I set the UDC at 60. The value of 60 for UDC (min speed) works fine for me and the value of 97% for HDC (max output power) also works fine for me.

With these settings and no other changes to any other values, I was able to control my pit temp for hours.

One of the reasons I purchased this unit was the ability to have a variable fan speed vs. simply on or off. I think this is an advantage for finer temperature control.
thegizzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->