MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #1
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Just Another Pr0n-Filled Fatty Tutorial

OK, you've (mostly) all seen alot of these. But the way I figure, someone new will see enough of them to realize they CAN do one; they're pretty easy, cheap, and tasty. Plus, your guests WILL be wowed!

The Cast and Characters:
24 oz. Thick Sliced Bacon
16 oz. Roll of DECENT TO HIGH QUALITY Pork Sausage - The cheap stuff will leave you regretful in the end.
Mozzarella Cheese
Green, Red, Yellow, and Orange Sweet Peppers, sliced julienne
Onion sliced julienne
Your Favorite Pork Rub

Put your sausage into a 1 gallon size ziploc and zip it shut (lol!). Roll it out flat with a rolling pin or whatever you have while occasionally opening and closing to allow the excess air to escape. Then, slice the sides of the bag open to expose the sausage but leave it on the bottom side of the bag. Dust with your favorite pork rub; you don't have to go nuts with the rub since you are going to apply it a couple of more times in the process.

Cover with a solid but thin layer of cheese and your peppers and onions. I like to slice my peppers and onions fairly thin so they are al dente - not too crunchy, but not too mushy like from sauteeing them first. I want the onion and pepper flavor to cook into the fatty, not out into the air while sauteeing. Just my personal opinion - they are also yummy carmelized in a pan too if you like them that way. Pick up the front edge of the bag and roll the fatty up in a log using the bag to assist you. Notice how I pulled the fillings away from the last inch or two of the far side of the fatty? That's to allow a meat-to-meat seal while finishing the roll. It keeps all of the yummy stuff inside!

When the roll is finished and sealed, crimp the ends together and roll gently back and forth to compress and make the roll nice and symmetrical. Then dust with another dab of your favorite rub.

To make the bacon weave blanket, lay out 9-10 strips right next to each other going toward/away from you. Then fold every other strip back halfway and lay one strip crossways left to right. Unfold your folded back strips and proceed to fold back your OTHER alternating strips and lay down another piece crossways left to right. Keep going back and forth until your blanket is finished and looks like this.

Then place your sausage log on the far end of your bacon blanket and roll towards you like this.

I prefer to pin mine shut along the bacon seam and ends with toothpicks. It seems to keep things snug while handling and cooking, and less cheese spills out.

The fire setup. Indirect over a dry foil pan to keep your cooker clean as the fat renders out. I prefer a whole chimney of unlit lump with some chunks of hickory throughout. I use about 1/4-1/3 chimney of glowing lit coals at one end of my unlit to do a fuse or ring of fire type gradual burn. This will get me PLENTY of burn time with leftover coals for a base for next time.

I will cruise along at 250-300 degrees for about 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours. This temp gives enough chance for the smoke to get in the fatty but also warm enough to sweat out alot of the fat. Not that anyone here is a complete health fanatic!

More pics to follow!

Old 07-22-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks like it's going to be a winner!!

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

That'll eat!
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
FlashJim
On the road to being a farker

I really need to try one of those! Beautiful pics.
FlashJim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
MisterChrister

Default Update

Here we are at the one hour mark. She's taking some smoke and making some good color. In a little bit, I will roll her over so as the fat renders out, it goes through both the top and bottom of the roll. Maximum juiciness distribution!

Old 07-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
freespool
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I had never heard of a "fatty" till this site. Now I can't wait to make my own. Thanks for the easy to follow pic tutorial.
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #7
mountaineermike
Found some matches.

Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering about the process of making these. Looks fantastic.
mountaineermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
heatseeker
Full Fledged Farker

You're going to make me "just so happen to stop at the store and buy fatty groceries" for my 1st fatty and then figure out the cover story on the way home...
heatseeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #9
tish

Looks like it's gonna be fantastic, MC. Personally, I'm hooked on the sweeter, fruit stuffed fatties. But I love me a savory one every now and again for the change of pace. Great job on the tutorial!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 09:20 PM   #10
MisterChrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespool View Post
I had never heard of a "fatty" till this site. Now I can't wait to make my own. Thanks for the easy to follow pic tutorial.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaineermike View Post
Thanks for posting this. I've been wondering about the process of making these. Looks fantastic.
My pleasure, that's what I love about this forum! Make sure you do the same, there's something we all have to offer and something we all have to learn!

Old 07-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
MisterChrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
You're going to make me "just so happen to stop at the store and buy fatty groceries" for my 1st fatty and then figure out the cover story on the way home...
Just ask her "Baby, do you want my fatty tonight?"!!!!!

Old 07-22-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
MisterChrister

Default The finished product

So after 2-1/2 hours, here's what we have! The lighting and color in the first pic is a little off, but I wanted to show how well it held together with the toothpicks. Not a drop of cheese went into the pan!

Now what are ya waiting for? Go make yourself a fatty!!!! Thanks for looking!!!!

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

Mighty fine looking fatty, i'd hit that without blinking my eye balls.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
tish

Just stopped back in to see the final product. Looks excellent! And the toothpicks did a great job of holding in all the cheese. You're really good at this! Kudos!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #15
rustysmoker
Got Wood.

Great pics and thanks for the detailed process I gotta make me one. We don't have Jimmy Dean here so will need to hunt down another good brand.
rustysmoker is offline   Reply With Quote