MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
Arg1129
On the road to being a farker

Default UDS red liner ?'s

I have been reading page after page of the UDS main thread and other ones and dont have a definitive answer to my question...

I found a food grade barrel for $10, so I thought why not make a UDS. Problem is it had that red liner that seems to be a bear to get out. I burned the barrel twice using ole pallets for over 2 hours each. I washed the barrel after each burn rubbing off as much of that red powder as i could. I did have a light pink in spots about 50% of the barrel but you could see the metal through it. No matter how hard i sanded and used a wire brush I couldn't get it all off. I ended up covering it in two coats of the flat BBQ paint that says it is good to 1200 deg. Does that sound like it is good to use to make food or Is the barrel doomed.

Thanks.
[COLOR="Green"]Brit Racing Green[/COLOR] Thermapen
Mavrick ET732
Arg1129 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

Wait@! You painted over the remaining liner with high temp spray paint?

You didn't read enough pages of the UDS thread. Sorry to say, you're prolly gonna want to burn it out again to get rid of the paint on the inside.

Question. Did you drill your intake holes at the bottom of barrel before the burn out(s)? If not, then you need to do that. It allows lots of oxygen to get down where the fire is and creates a much hotter burn. If all else fails, find a reasonable sandblaster who isn't into gouging their customers.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #3
Brother Matt
Full Fledged Farker

I don't know about the liners, but I do know a trick to burning those things clean. Stick a chimney in there on top of your fire. A 6' or longer section of 8" stove flue is perfect, but hopefully you have some scrap laying around like that, 'cause it's gonna get toasted. It does an incredible job. Your fire will burn so hot that the outside of the barrel will be completely clean of all paint, let alone the inside.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
KGNickl
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=9774
KGNickl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 12:33 AM   #5
Arg1129

Thanks for the advice. I did drill the holes first and had a pretty hot fire. The outer paint was totally gone after the first burn... I may just look for a new, unlined, barrel and take all the stuff off this one... Darn... Thats three days work down the drain. well guess i gotta learn somehow
Mavrick ET732

Old 07-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

That's why they call it the "dreaded red liner".

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much if there was a bit of liner left before seasoning. But it sounds like you spray painted the interior? That's what got me.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-20-2012, 12:58 AM   #7
Arg1129

I did, thinking that it was okay since the can said the paint can take heat up to 1200 deg and usually the inside of gassers are not raw metal... I wish the can said dont do it, but after searching their site i found the Q&A which said it does not recommend it... So I have an email in to a local car shop that advertises media blasting with an ad saying they also blast rusted patio furniture. I guess the $10 barrel was too good to be true... Now it is time to take all the parts off of the UDS so it can get blasted.
Mavrick ET732

Old 07-20-2012, 08:51 PM   #8
turbo885
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Take it to a sandblaster. I blast them out about in about 15 minutes and i am done inside and out. Dont try to do it with one of those toy blasters that you hook to a shop compressor it would take forever if it even took it out.You need a big comercial machine. shouldnt realy cost much and will be a whole lot easyer.
turbo885 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uds