MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
John I. Que
Knows what a fatty is.

Default IQ110 Error Mode

The IQ110 has a bicolor LED to indicate status. If you see solid green, you're golden. But what if it flashes an alternating RED/GREEN? There a supposed to be three reasons for this, but in reality there are four. Presented in order of likelihood:
1) The "LID OFF" algorithm is in effect. The cooker's lid was removed, or the door opened. The IQ detected a rapid drop in temperature, and is assuming that tons of fresh combustion air just reached the fire. So, it is going to hold off from blowing for a while (a few minutes, depending on a few things).
2) For older IQs with the ABS enclosure: The IQ's internal temperature has exceeded 140˚F. This can happen when the enclosure is too close to the cooker, the IQ is in a rainbox in the sun (remember the Greenhouse Effect?), or the IQ is in the desert in the sun. Newer IQs have a temperature resistant polycarbonate case, and this threshold have been increased to 160˚F. Basically, the IQ assumes it is resting on a hot cooker and enters a "self-preservation" mode and stops blowing until the enclosure temp drops below the threshold.
3) The temperature probe is problematic. It could have an intermittent open or short. Competition pitmasters should always have spare probes on hand.
4) Older versions of software could sometimes be exactly 10˚F above the setpoint, bouncing back and forth one ADC bit. The hysteresis designed-in had a bug, which has since been corrected. It did not affect operation in any way, but could be misinterpreted as a fault condition, causing the operator to try to correct the condition, thereby causing an actual problem. If this condition is observed, watch the blower vanes for 30s. If the blower turns on and off within 30s, all is good. The temperature will come back into range shortly and the LED will again become solid green.
John I. Que is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
rwyatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the info. I think i was on the right track with the unit itself getting hot. As you know here in Missouri it has been very hot. I made a sun shade for it and will try and move my smoker into better shade. Thanks again.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
John I. Que
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwyatt View Post
Thanks for the info. I think i was on the right track with the unit itself getting hot. As you know here in Missouri it has been very hot. I made a sun shade for it and will try and move my smoker into better shade. Thanks again.
You're welcome! If you still have problems, shoot us an email or call us. We'll get you back on track! What turn ins were you late on?

Old 07-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I hang my iQue from a hook under my BBQ table. This keeps it in the shade, and even works in a light rain.

Living in North Texas, you learn to deal with triple-digit temperatures -- or move.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
rwyatt
Knows what a fatty is.

Pork both times. It is my fault I have been using it for a while and just got to comfortable. It has been a rock for me and my cooking. It has been so hot I just stayed inside to long. No worries. Just glad I can fix it, there is always next time. I'm not planning to compete until it cools down. I think Herman has a cook in October. That will be my next one. I am glad to support a local (Missouri) company when I can.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #6
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great info - thanks! I've been using/loving it on my UDS.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
John I. Que
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwyatt View Post
Pork both times. It is my fault I have been using it for a while and just got to comfortable. It has been a rock for me and my cooking. It has been so hot I just stayed inside to long. No worries. Just glad I can fix it, there is always next time. I'm not planning to compete until it cools down. I think Herman has a cook in October. That will be my next one. I am glad to support a local (Missouri) company when I can.
Our pork turn ins are at 1PM. We start cooking pork Friday evening around 9-10PM, with our target "done window" centered on 10AM, after which it gets hot-boxed. That way it gets to rest in the foiled juices, and we have a few hours safety net. Win-win. Give Matt a call if you'd like more details.

Old 07-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #8
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

I sure like my IQ110, it worked great on my Stumps, no baby sitting the smoker and never had any issues

Old 07-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

Works great on my UDS too. I have another hook under the center of the table that I use if the weather looks shaky or it needs a little shade. Cheers!!!

Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

Honestly can't say enough about the unit. Between the inherent rock solid stability of my large egg and the back up reassurance of the ique, I've never gotten so much sleep!

Old 07-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
nthole
Babbling Farker

You suns of beatchs!!! I've never had an ounce of trouble with my IQ. You post this today, I'm doing briskey overnight for my little angels 6th bday party and my probe goes wonkers. Completely nuts. I guess after 2 year time to replace it! How could you do this to me!!! My little angel is going to be so digusted if I can't whip out my old school skills and make this thing run overnight without my IQ! (note...this is about as subtle as a trainwreck for me to get some probes out of them ).

So...uh...can I drive to your office Saturday and buy two probes?

I've met these guys out on the Q trail...top notch fellas. I can't believe I didn't have a backup probe!!!
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2012, 10:53 PM   #12
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
You suns of beatchs!!! I've never had an ounce of trouble with my IQ. You post this today, I'm doing briskey overnight for my little angels 6th bday party and my probe goes wonkers. Completely nuts. I guess after 2 year time to replace it! How could you do this to me!!! My little angel is going to be so digusted if I can't whip out my old school skills and make this thing run overnight without my IQ! (note...this is about as subtle as a trainwreck for me to get some probes out of them ).

I've met these guys out on the Q trail...top notch fellas. I can't believe I didn't have a backup probe!!!
I'm listening to the crickets That would be some good customer service

Old 07-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
John I. Que
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post

Sorry Neil. We were competing in Wellsville. Got a 6th in pork and placed ahead of Big Moe by a few positions!!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #14
Vision
is One Chatty Farker

The other day I was getting odd readings and it turned out the the vent opening was being effected by a slight breeze. After turning the lid around everything was fine.
Vision is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
IQ110, ique, iQue 110, pitmaster, Pitmaster IQ, pitmasteriq